HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Sadly, no it is not. I wish HK would give us that option. It appears to be available oversees (according the the German website), but there are apparently no plans to bring it here :( :( :(. You can modify it since it's pretty much the same as a P2000. However, there are two things that bother me about that: 1) Warranty goes out the door. 2) What happens if you actually have to use gun in self defense, would this then become a legal liability?

Until HK makes it in LEM, I'm looking at switching to P99 AS. Closest thing to a 15 round HK there is without being an HK. I don't like some of the P99 features, but it's very LEM like.

If I could be guaranteed that scenario #2 wouldn't be a problem, I'd convert the thing myself and call it wonderful.

·
Banned
1,245 Posts
While the P99 are nice guns, they don't reach the quality of HK!
Rosting pins / spings, lausy hard 8 lbs triggers come to mind!
kraigster414 you might want to try a HK!

·
Registered
402 Posts
What's a rosting pin? Seriously...I think you mean rolling pin, but I'm not sure. And if so, what's the problem with this pin?

Also, the AS is 4lbs, not 8. I don't think the QA is 8lbs either. And...LEM V3 is 8lbs on HK and it's not bad. A lot of folks confuse weight with smoothness too, don't forget. A nice 8lb pull, can feel better than a cruddy 4-5lb pull.

I'm not trying to say the P99 is HK quality, but it's not a bad gun. I don't think there is a big following in the US because S&W didn't push it nor the S&W clone.

·
Banned
1,245 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
MarkDW,

If you notice I was speaking primarily of the "AS" model, which is 5lbs! So I missed it by 1lb. It also has slightly shorter reset than does HK LEM.

http://www.waltheramerica.com/wcsstore/Walther/upload/other/Walther_catalog.pdf

Remember, AS is like LEM, which has some astronomically large pull unless the slide is racked; hence the 11lb/5lb specification .

I'm not trying to compare HK quality to Walther or visa versa; but was pointing out the Walther is the only gun that would have similar muscle memory and manual of arms compared to a LEM HK.

The back strip, which I assume you mean one of those thing that changes the grip, may be problematic; though I hardly think that falls into making the gun a POS. As for the other problems; where have you read this? Is this something you have personal experience with? Just curious. I don't get the feeling on the Walther forum that these P99s are very problematic. I've also read, for what its worth, that several people who have both HK and Walther speak highly of both companies. So, with that in mind, just where do you think Walther is in the quality department compared to say a Glock or S&W M&P?

For what it's worth, I don't own a P99 (I think I said that), and I have issues with the plastic sights and guide rod. Apparently magazine springs are also hard to find. So, no, it's not HK quality; but it is cheaper (so is Glock though). I guess the real question is...is it quality enough. Beats me.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well I am an HK fanatic and have owned the P99. Here are my thoughts on it.

-Reset is very short, alot shorter than any of the H&K triggers.
-Trigger on the AS was at about 4 1/2 lbs Single action.
-Very light gun.
- no reliability issues for me.

I got rid of it because it just didn't fit me right. It is a very ergonomic gun but for I couldn't get used to it and Icouldn't shoot it as good as some of my other pistols. Rapid fire with the P99 was scary fast, I think it basically has the shortest reset on a pistol outside of a 1911.

·
Banned
1,245 Posts
I would not go that low to call the P99 a POS, actually the P99 brought a lot new ideas into the gun world and is a milestone. Too bad that Walther failed to bring the gun to the sales numbers it should had!
I bought a P99 when the came out in 9mm and had it about 3 month when I noticed the pins are corroding.
Since then I became a FFL 5 years ago and I send a few P99 back to Walther to exchange all corroded metal parts. Most owners are not even aware of the conditions their springs of their P99 are in.
Then a friend of mine in Germany who got the P99 issued as police duty gun has the same problem.

·
Registered
402 Posts
MarcDW,

So, are any of these P99's NEW ones, say 2006 or newer, or all old ones? I'm curious. Please don't take my questions as being confrontational.

And which springs? The mainspring (slide), or ALL springs like striker, trigger reset, etc, etc? I'm assuming you mean the corrosion of the springs and not the slide (it's tennifer and shouldn't corrode easily).

What other reliability problems? And HK's are not [email protected] near, but not EVERY one...just 99.99999999% right? :).

I will say, they are LIGHT (makes me wonder why the PPS is so heavy compared to the lightness of the P99). They point OK, perhaps it would point better with sights that are the size of a 0.9mm pencil led. I'm intrigued by them due to the short short trigger reset and light pull on the AS model. The fact that it's got the same mag release (effectively) as the HK means it's the only other gun I'd consider without changing platforms totally.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts