HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the Costa Ludus HET 1 Class in Garretsville, OH from October 18-20 of this year. I have told several people that a review would be coming asap. However, weddings and work got in the way up until this point.

I am not going to go through the days and what was worked on - if you're interested I would suggest to spend the money and take the class.

I started this journey with an on-going thread of training with a P30 to get acclimated with the manual of arms. I had every intention of running my standard P30 through the class but at the last minute decided, "f*ck it, I like the L more." I used it, expended aroun 1,940 +/- rounds with it, and did not have a single problem mechanically with the pistol.

Chris walks the walk and talks the talk. Everything he teaches causes you to really put your mind into what you are doing. It isn't a shooting class where you go and just expend ammunition for the sake of shooting. Every round has a purpose. And from the very beginning, the purpose of the class was to get you in tune with the mechanics of your gun. And it took me almost the first 2 days to really get in tune with the LEM. Even after devoting most of the year to it and thousands of rounds, it took about 1,200 more. And honestly, I was fortunate enough to see another P30L LEM gun being run in the class and was able to observe how that gentleman manipulated that trigger. It took that observation to get things to click for me. And a few brief conversations with said individual, HKPro's very own "Spart." A word of advice, don't mess with that dude when he has an HK on him.

Drills ranged from dry-fire, to ball and dummy, single handed weapon manipulations, malfunction assessment and clearing, and box drills. And much, much more.

My take-away from the class was a greater understanding of my capabilities when I take the time to learn the pistol (or any pistol for that matter). Another takeaway is to slow my brain down and think through a problem. I have pages of notes and have already been working on drills that I jotted down from the class. I have switched back to the 1911, but I am not sure I will be sticking with it, even though I consider myself a 1911 guy foremost. Considering if/when I have to (God forbid) use a firearm to protect me or the ones I love, I am not so sure that I want a safety in the way... not so sure I want a pistol that is not ambidextrous in the even of a single-handed manipulation... not so sure I want a pistol that will have only 9 rounds to work with before a reload - especially taking into consideration the possibility of single-hand weapon manipulation. The internal struggles have been real.

End result - I have been trying to talk a friend of mine into taking HET1 with me again... and have also been considering VET (Costa's vehicle class). To be honest, I plan on taking all of his classes.

He hands out a challenge coin at the end of the course. I know it sounds soft, but that class was one I was excited for and also anxious for because of the sheer volume of shooting. Between the course, the friends I made, the people I was able to chat with, the experience, and so on, I will never get rid of that P30L and that coin will stick with that gun wherever it goes. Challenge accepted. I strongly recommed the class to anyone looking to improve themselves.

After day 2 of hitting the ground for some drills-gritty and grimey:

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Very nice thoughts on Chris Costa's class and even more on the HK P30L. I have a P30 LEM and have contemplating purchasing the P30L and the P30SK both feel good in the hands but I agree that the LEM does take time to get accustomed to. I think I will start that journey soon too as I have gotten older I appreciate the hammer fired pistols more and enjoy the LEM trigger. I have the kits to install the LEM 4.1 and I think I will take time out to install it. Thank again for your thoughts on the P30L and P30 LEM.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Nice write up. Murica!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
He hands out a challenge coin at the end of the course.
Could you clarify: he give a challenge coin to every participant as a motivational item for the further development, or you have to meet specific standards to earn one?

Second question: how many students were in your class?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Great class. Glad you could come out. It's nice to not be the only one there not running a Glock or M&P! Total round count for me was 2,055 but I was able to run that final volley twice before the skies opened up a little.

Not to hijack, but I'll throw in a couple after action photos. My buddies and I were able to take all three classes (CET1, HET1, & VET) in a row; I had my P30L on me the whole time.

After 15,350 rounds through, she's finally starting to look the part!

Cheers.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Nice write up, I've taken Costa's CET1 CET2 and VET out at Southington as well in years past, some of the best training classes and range setup one could dream of. I would highly recommend the the VET class after at least the CET1 unless you've had a similar class elsewhere. Did Dale bring any of his toys out to the range for lunchtime shennanigans?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Nice write up, I've taken Costa's CET1 CET2 and VET out at Southington as well in years past, some of the best training classes and range setup one could dream of. I would highly recommend the the VET class after at least the CET1 unless you've had a similar class elsewhere. Did Dale bring any of his toys out to the range for lunchtime shennanigans?
He didn't for HET1, which is a shame for USP Fan. It's crazy as I've been out there 10ish times to train with Chris and Dale has ALWAYS brings out some of his toys... except for this HET1 class! I was wondering if the weather played a factor in that but it only really rained at the end of the last day.

Dale brought out the Browning 50 for both CET and VET. She almost always makes an appearance.

·
Registered
57 Posts
yeah, the Ma Duece was a blast, literally!!! He had a HK sear pack on a HK53 ( i think) that Costa was running around with too. I was even lucky enough the one time to have the LWRC local PD sales rep with a FA demo unit we took turns burning mags up on.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Could you clarify: he give a challenge coin to every participant as a motivational item for the further development, or you have to meet specific standards to earn one?

I believe the class capped at 23 students and was sold out. I believe the coin is for motivation. And not that I need a coin to tell me to "keep going," but it certainly is nice to have a little reminder that I decided to sack up and take the class, and to know that it is a new chapter for my own training that I am moving into.

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
Great class. Glad you could come out. It's nice to not be the only one there not running a Glock or M&P! Total round count for me was 2,055 but I was able to run that final volley twice before the skies opened up a little.

Not to hijack, but I'll throw in a couple after action photos. My buddies and I were able to take all three classes (CET1, HET1, & VET) in a row; I had my P30L on me the whole time.

Cheers.
That is a lovely looking P30L! Couple questions for you since round count is nice and high....

Is it stock LEM or have you had any trigger work done?

Taylor freelance mag extensions? Have they been as reliable for you as factory mags?

Thanks in advance for your response. I'm thinking of doing a couple things to my P30L but don't want to mess with reliability at all.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)

Cheers.
Hey man, by all means, feel free to toss your opinions and photos in.

It was funny. I never met Spart before but I have read his Costa class reviews. In fact, past reviews were a huge influence as to why I decided to sign up for the class in the first place. But, in exchanging PMs with each other leading up to the class, he sent me a photo of a map to get to the proper range - otherwise I am sure I would have gotten lost in that complex. I believe it was late in the morning on the first day when I noticed some other dude shooting a P30L and was able to put 2 and 2 together, especially after seeing the unique characteristics of his particular LEM example. I thought to myself, "I have seen that pistol before but never saw another P30L LEM in person," hahaha. I'm a nerd, what can I say.

But observing Spart's manipulation of that gun is a thing of beauty. And then the conversations of how he runs it like a single action really made it all click for me. Because I was struggling with mine. I was treating each trigger pull like a DAO. Fortunately I found someone that knows more than me and was able to figure it out.

And briefly, I was somewhat disappointed about not experiencing Dale's toys (this sounds really inappropriate). But, I will be back next year... so there will be another time ;)

·
Registered
1,540 Posts

I believe the class capped at 23 students and was sold out. I believe the coin is for motivation. And not that I need a coin to tell me to "keep going," but it certainly is nice to have a little reminder that I decided to sack up and take the class, and to know that it is a new chapter for my own training that I am moving into.
To add to USP Fan, the coins are really nice. If you finish the class, you get a coin (and a signed cert). They're not for sale and the only way you can get one is to take a class. They're quite heavy and he changes the color every year. Those that have seen my pictures in the past have probably noticed. If you haven't, well.... here are three that my USP45 earned:

I think they're pretty sweet and always look forward to adding more colors to the collection!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
That is a lovely looking P30L! Couple questions for you since round count is nice and high....

Is it stock LEM or have you had any trigger work done?

Taylor freelance mag extensions? Have they been as reliable for you as factory mags?

Thanks in advance for your response. I'm thinking of doing a couple things to my P30L but don't want to mess with reliability at all.

Cheers

It's stock..... kinda. The gun started its life as a V3 (DA/SA no safety). I have gotten away from DA/SA guns so I converted it to LEM a couple of years ago (shhhhhhhh, don't tell HK!). I did the parts swap myself at round count 4,354... so it's been ~11,000 rounds since and she runs like a top. From research I've done on this site, the V3 comes with the lighter TRS of the two, so it should be the exact same as the light LEM. So, yes, its stock.... sorta.... how about we say OEM.

Yes, TF mag extensions! They're fantastic and have been 100% reliable. They'll add 5 to the stock 9mm mag, but I will download to 19 as putting that pig in with 20 on a closed slide is difficult. Even still, great product and I'll be buying more.

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
It's stock..... kinda. The gun started its life as a V3 (DA/SA no safety). I have gotten away from DA/SA guns so I converted it to LEM a couple of years ago (shhhhhhhh, don't tell HK!). I did the parts swap myself at round count 4,354... so it's been ~11,000 rounds since and she runs like a top. From research I've done on this site, the V3 comes with the lighter TRS of the two, so it should be the exact same as the light LEM. So, yes, its stock.... sorta.... how about we say OEM.

Yes, TF mag extensions! They're fantastic and have been 100% reliable. They'll add 5 to the stock 9mm mag, but I will download to 19 as putting that pig in with 20 on a closed slide is difficult. Even still, great product and I'll be buying more.
Thanks again! I think 5 are going to be on my Christmas list this year.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Hey man, by all means, feel free to toss your opinions and photos in.

It was funny. I never met Spart before but I have read his Costa class reviews. In fact, past reviews were a huge influence as to why I decided to sign up for the class in the first place. But, in exchanging PMs with each other leading up to the class, he sent me a photo of a map to get to the proper range - otherwise I am sure I would have gotten lost in that complex. I believe it was late in the morning on the first day when I noticed some other dude shooting a P30L and was able to put 2 and 2 together, especially after seeing the unique characteristics of his particular LEM example. I thought to myself, "I have seen that pistol before but never saw another P30L LEM in person," hahaha. I'm a nerd, what can I say.

But observing Spart's manipulation of that gun is a thing of beauty. And then the conversations of how he runs it like a single action really made it all click for me. Because I was struggling with mine. I was treating each trigger pull like a DAO. Fortunately I found someone that knows more than me and was able to figure it out.

And briefly, I was somewhat disappointed about not experiencing Dale's toys (this sounds really inappropriate). But, I will be back next year... so there will be another time ;)
Yea man, no problemo. I'm no expert or anything but that's the way I've always run the trigger and I think it works well. Those guys we were talking with seemed to like it, too.

Dale's place is a mini maze. I was definitely anxious the first time I went there because I had no idea which way to go! I just parked it next to the pavilion and followed someone as they drove by... thankfully he knew where to go haha.

Again, I am surprised Dale didn't bring anything out. As Xgardx mentioned, he has an HK53 that I was able to do a full auto mag dump through (hell, maybe we were at the same class). He also has a belt-fed HK21E but I didn't shoot that. His Barrett 50 is fun to shoot. If you're lucky, Dale will bring out his 37 mm howitzer (yes, you read that right!). If you're really really lucky, he'll let you fire one off! Ask me how I know :wink:. Oh, and Dale does this all on his own dime... he lets students shoot whatever he brings out, filled with his ammo, and doesn't ask for a penny. Dale is good people!

One more pic...

-"That's a funky rear sight set-up you got there, Spart."
-"Why yes it is, thanks for noticing.":100000:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea man, no problemo. I'm no expert or anything but that's the way I've always run the trigger and I think it works well. Those guys we were talking with seemed to like it, too.

Dale's place is a mini maze. I was definitely anxious the first time I went there because I had no idea which way to go! I just parked it next to the pavilion and followed someone as they drove by... thankfully he knew where to go haha.

Again, I am surprised Dale didn't bring anything out. As Xgardx mentioned, he has an HK53 that I was able to do a full auto mag dump through (hell, maybe we were at the same class). He also has a belt-fed HK21E but I didn't shoot that. His Barrett 50 is fun to shoot. If you're lucky, Dale will bring out his 37 mm howitzer (yes, you read that right!). If you're really really lucky, he'll let you fire one off! Ask me how I know :wink:. Oh, and Dale does this all on his own dime... he lets students shoot whatever he brings out, filled with his ammo, and doesn't ask for a penny. Dale is good people!

One more pic...

-"That's a funky rear sight set-up you got there, Spart."
-"Why yes it is, thanks for noticing.":100000:
Epic. I have a smith j frame that I am considering trading for a p30skv1. It just makes sense for deep concealment/back-up. Decisions decisions...

·
Registered
974 Posts
Beautiful pics from both of you. I'm sitting here tonight fondling my own P30L. It's probably my favorite HK overall. At a minimum, very closely tied with the USP 45. I actually picked up my P30L after seeing Spart's old P30L after action pics. It's just such a beautiful gun, especially when well worn.

I hope to take one of these classes myself some day.

Congratulations, guys!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Perhaps it is just me but I doubt I would ever give a laudable mark for a class with a 23:1 instructor ratio. I've trained with Chris when he was with Magpul and he is a nicest dude and a good shooter. It was a big class too but at least he had an AI then. Don't mean to infuse some negativity in your post and I am glad you two found the class beneficial. I just think that stuff like that needs to be at least mentioned and reflected upon in class reports.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Have a buddy who attended this class - it was his second with Chris, and he had a blast. He gives Chris very high marks for his training, and finds it invaluable.

I heard a couple of M&P's went down during this class this year. Some of the training he described sounded pretty intense, including shooting with taped up sights to correct trigger manipulation errors.

Great write up!

-Freq

1 - 20 of 27 Posts