HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought one of the NCStar green lasers for a decent price this past week ($55 delivered) the quick mount-dismount AQPTLG for a Weaver / Picatinny rail system. Installed the battery, attached it to the pistol and roughly sighted it in on a wall of my house. It slides into place easily, locks firmly and seems to hold in place without any movement at all. That's about it, so today I went out to the range to give it a try.

First I must say that it is incredibly bright, easy to use and seems to be well made for the low cost. The only place I can't see it outside is on the wall in our front yard here in Tucson. The wall is white stucco in full sunlight, sorry, not quite bright enough to see that in full sun. Everything else was fine. Shadows, dimly lit rooms, dark walls, outside during daylight, it all works well. This morning at the range it was overcast (first time in months we've had some clouds rolling in early) and the target was very easy to acquire with the laser on. It took a couple of shots to get things lined up. The allen screws which adjust for windage & elevation must be in right-hand threaded nuts, as a clockwise turn moves the laser into the screw, and a counter-clockwise turn moves it away. Once I figured out which way to turn them, it was easy enough to get it zeroed. I might add that it is incredibly bright at night, so much so that I can see it many blocks from the house, when I lit up roofs and power poles to check it for night use. It is certainly bright enough to paint a target anywhere within pistol range at night, and might be adequate for rifles as well.

I haven't had time to evaluate it with respect to durability, on and off mounting to hold zero over time, or anything else yet, but for a low cost laser for home defense it seems to function properly, work well and serves the purpose. Anyone who is considering an inexpensive laser for home defense may do well to look into this unit. It is all metal, easy to adjust and seems to be durable, at least so far. I used some 180 grain ball loads today and it still works well. One down-side I might mention is that the switch can be pushed inadvertently, if the pistol is cased and laid down on its side, or if it is just set on the bench on its left or right side. The switch is a slide which sits at the back of the laser, just in front of the trigger guard, right index finger turns on, left turns it off. To get around this, I'm making a holster which will have a bump for the switch to keep it in the "off" position when stowed, since I'm not going to try to buy something for a P30LS with a laser. For now, I just use a small rubber band, folded into four layers, which I stretch slightly, and then slide under the switch tab when I'm transporting it to & from the range. This is a positive method of keeping it from wearing down the battery, cheap, easy and disposable. It is also about 3/8" longer than the barrel (LOA is about 3 1/4"), so a more compact unit like the C5 or 5XL might be a better choice if you're carrying one all day. The good part is that it is about 1/4 or less the price of the Viridian units.

All in all I would have to say that so far I'm pleased with my purchase, but time will tell if it is a durable item worth keeping or if it ends up in the junk pile of useless trash.

·
Registered
375 Posts
...time will tell if it is a durable item worth keeping or if it ends up in the junk pile of useless trash.
Magic 8-ball says.....

Useless trash.

I don't intend to sound like a jerk, but I've never seen a product from SC Star actually make the grade in terms of long term durability, but to be fair I have not messed with their lasers.

·
Registered
854 Posts
same here...their scopes are only slightly better than cardboard TP tubes and packing tape would be

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gee guys don't try to soft peddle, give it to me straight! I know you get what you pay for. I didn't want to spend a couple of hundred bucks for a really good one, so this was a step in that direction for me. If it turns out to be an aid in shooting, I will consider a better system to purchase, like the Viridian, Streamlight or another better type. For now, it is an exercise in something new.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Noseoil -- Now that some time has passed, what is your opinion of the NCStar laser? I have never used a laser sight of any kind, but have been curious about trying one. Is it worth buying as an entry level unit, or would you suggest something else?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Noseoil -- Now that some time has passed, what is your opinion of the NCStar laser? I have never used a laser sight of any kind, but have been curious about trying one. Is it worth buying as an entry level unit, or would you suggest something else?

Just my opinion but if you plan on getting a laser or light/laser combo I would go with a more trusted brand. A TLR-3 or TLR-4 will run you around $100. I have a Viridian C5L and have enjoyed it so far.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While it does work and function well enough, I would have to agree that a better quality laser would be a better investment. At some point I may upgrade, but for now it is simply a nightstand setup, so I don't worry too much about field use. I'm sure the higher quality brands would last longer and be better suited to a work environment. I need to get out to the range again with it and see about the "0" and how it's holding up, but I haven't done that in months now.

Inside the house, I'm not too worried about it. Outside I'm still amazed about the "coherent light" aspects of these things, at night in the city and with relatively bright illumination it is still quite a sight. This would be great at night on an AR, as the range it projects would be good enough for longer distance work. In full daylight, the green will work on any shadowed surface. If you get a laser, the green is certainly better in most respects I can see than the red.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts