HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about adding a tac light to the picatinny rail of my HK P30L. I've never put a light on any handgun before and wanted to get some thoughts on what has worked best for the HK Pros out there. Doesn't need to be the Rolls Royce of tac lights. TLR-1 seems to be what I see the most of, but never seen one added to the P30L in person. Thanks for any opinions and sources.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
TLR-1 and the X300 are the two most commonly used. I got my two TLR-1's from Gander Mountain which price matched MidwayUSA. ($89 at the time)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Why wouldn't you put the rols royce of lights on the rols royce of fighting pistols?! If that's the case...stay away from surefire. There almost as addictive as HKs.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I suggest the X300 from Surefire, but that's just me. The Streamlight stuff is good too, but I prefer the Surefire line.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have streamlight tlr-1s and its never failed me. 160 lumens, super bright. Very solid unit! (has a strobe feature...most folks don't "need" it or use it). IMO. Now that the surefire x300 prices have came down I'll be picking one up as well. Either of the two would be a great option.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Family Man inadvertently brought up a good point. The TLR-1 is much brighter than the Surefire. This can wash out and blind the user if they are using for home defense and trying to use it to clear a hallway or corner. For indoor use you really don't need any more than 60-80 lumens. If you're lighting up a night range/target outdoors the TLR-1 projects a nice beam.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Family Man inadvertently brought up a good point. The TLR-1 is much brighter than the Surefire. This can wash out and blind the user if they are using for home defense and trying to use it to clear a hallway or corner. For indoor use you really don't need any more than 60-80 lumens. If you're lighting up a night range/target outdoors the TLR-1 projects a nice beam.
Family Man quoted the TLR-1 at 160 lumens. The X300 is 170 lumens. Not sure how you think the TLR-1 is brighter. Either way, both are plenty bright for in home use.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Why wouldn't you put the rols royce of lights on the rols royce of fighting pistols?! If that's the case...stay away from surefire. There almost as addictive as HKs.
I have an incandesant(spelling?)SureFire as my small handheld torch, but the lithium batteries last about 10 minutes it seems. I know the lamp on the P30L won't be used as much as the handheld. Just hear a lot of good things about that TLR-1 and seems like you can get one for just about $100.

Wolvee- it would be used for home primarily. I don't have access to a night range. I always think about hurricanes down here in Florida. If we ever get hit with The Big One power could be out for days/weeks. Roaming bands of idiots may take advantage of the situation. I am not a guy that lives in fear of ultra ridiculous scenarios, but hurricane extended power outage is a real possibility here.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Another x300 user here as well. I have two and am planning on a 3rd(that way I dont have to switch between my G19 and my P30).

·
Registered
518 Posts
That's odd I thought the OTF lumen were 80 & 130.
The x300 blows 80 lumens away even with almost dead batteries. Those things are F'in bright dude. I don't know what the x200 is off the top of my head, but I know I'll never buy anything but surefire lights, especially weapon lights. Got 4 x300s and I hear there gonna come out with a 500 lumen x series weapon light soon, so I'll end up with another one. Like I said, there almost as bad as HKs when it comes to addiction. Plus I have an addictive personality to boot!

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have an incandesant(spelling?)SureFire as my small handheld torch, but the lithium batteries last about 10 minutes it seems. I know the lamp on the P30L won't be used as much as the handheld. Just hear a lot of good things about that TLR-1 and seems like you can get one for just about $100.

Wolvee- it would be used for home primarily. I don't have access to a night range. I always think about hurricanes down here in Florida. If we ever get hit with The Big One power could be out for days/weeks. Roaming bands of idiots may take advantage of the situation. I am not a guy that lives in fear of ultra ridiculous scenarios, but hurricane extended power outage is a real possibility here.
. I can't speak for the tlr1 other than it seems a lot of people run them and like them. I think there kinda clunky and I like the brighter surefire. Personal opinion. As far as the run time goes, comparing incandescent anything to led anything is apples to oranges.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The x300 blows 80 lumens away even with almost dead batteries. Those things are F'in bright dude. I don't know what the x200 is off the top of my head, but I know I'll never buy anything but surefire lights, especially weapon lights. Got 4 x300s and I hear there gonna come out with a 500 lumen x series weapon light soon, so I'll end up with another one. Like I said, there almost as bad as HKs when it comes to addiction. Plus I have an addictive personality to boot!
Just curious. Where's the Sunfire x300 made? In the U.S.? How about warranty on the light? Thanks.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I run a Surefire X300 on my HK45 and cant say enough good things about it. When it comes to lights, I choose Surefire. IMO they make the best lights/weapon lights.

·
Registered
62 Posts
For weapon lights... Surefire. Nothing wrong with Streamlight. I have used them in the past with no issues. Their products just didn't look & feel as nice of a finished product as the surefire offerings. Once the X300 light came out, it's the only light I use- All my ARs too! It's smaller than most of their older weapon lights, the newer scout lights are about the same in cost and size though, but I like the x300 since you can always use it on a pistol if the rifle goes down. Good light all the way around.

·
Super Moderator
6,046 Posts
I have two TLR-1S's. They are great lights.

I am getting a Surefire X300. It is the only light IMO that can keep up with the HK's. You can go swimming with it. The TLR-1s can get wet and go about 20 feet I Think. But the X300 is built like a tank, and I think they have upgraded the lumens, isn't the X300 about 160ish now? My TLR-1s' are 165. I know the beam on the X300's are more focused and tighter.

But anyway, those two are the only two you need. You can't miss with either.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts

The lamp on the X300 is an LED, and the batts last quite a long time. I would not worry about the issues you have with the incan lamp on the handheld. The X300 is a brighter and more focused light than the Streamlight. I've basically sand blasted my lights with the blast from my 45's, and they keep on ticking. My only wish for Surefire, is for them to make a snap on cover or something to protect the glass from the carbon. It is a PITA to clean it off, so I just wrap the hell out of it with painters tape, and replace when it gets blasted off.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Something to think about is that the switches on the two lights are activated differently. Neither is necessarily better than the other, just users preference. I prefer being able to push forward against the switch for temporary, and flick it up or down for constant. That is why i like the Surefire. I believe you can only flick the TLR-1 switch up or down.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
My TLR-1 is 135L. I read a lot about the -S models having problems with the electronics and I was instructed by Steve Fisher that the non-strobe may be more reliable.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts