HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to purchase a new H&K pistol for the T3G competition that I participate in (currently shooting a P2000). I am looking for advice in purchasing a P30L V3 v. a VP9. I know that P30L has a longer barrel which helps in accuracy for long shots. The question is the VP9 better than the P30L for competition? Any advice and/or insight is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
V3 P30L would be my pick.
Work the trigger a little, good to go.
Never cared for the recent VP striker fired pistols.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've got a P30L (LEM V0 now, started as a V3) and a VP9,

For strictly match use, I'd go with the VP9. The size is very, very comparable, even though the P30L has a longer barrel. IMHO, the consistent striker trigger with it's shorter rest makes a better "game gun".

I actually like the P30L better for a defensive pistol, and even a range gun, but the striker guns do have their advantages.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
Both great guns, but the size difference is negligible. It's minute, at best. Obviously the striker fire system is "easier" to use as many suggest. I don't find that to be the case. I love both guns and shoot both in uspsa. I find the p30l has a little less perceived recoil for me. Have you considered and expert?

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Have both, not a competitive shooter yet, but have run my VP9 through similar exercises (timed, shooting at multiple steel targets, behind barricades, on the move, reloads, etc.) in many all-day pistol courses and would not even think of switching to my P30L at this point. That's just me... my P30L was my first pistol (still love it) and isn't feeling the love since I got my VP9. I find the VP9 extremely accurate for me... hard to miss the targets! The VP9 feels like an extension to my hand and is the perfect size/weight/balance for me...

·
Registered
608 Posts
This is what Aaron Marco AKA Dr. No, a Texas LEO (who I believe to be on the department SWAT team) and was part of the old H&K shooting team had to say, about the pure shooting aspects of the two guns:
Aaron Marco said:
The VP9 runs circles around the [DA/SA] P30L. It recoils flatter, the trigger is more predictable, and since the gun extends back over your hand it is much easier to index. I would guesstimate that I'm a good 10-15% better with the VP9 without any significant transition training.

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
If you watch the HK pro shooting team vids on YouTube there's lots with the p30l and expert. Great videos to watch. That was a team of smooth shooters. I watch them all the time. And Aaron Marco I respect!!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I know that P30L has a longer barrel which helps in accuracy for long shots.
Not exactly. Longer sight radius helps in distance shooting, and that's not equivalent to longer barrel. In this particular case, the VP9 has a full 1/2 inch shorter barrel but nearly the same sight radius as P30L.

DA/SA pistols aren't particularly great for the 3G - but you already know this since you compete in it. In addition, while I love paddle mag release, it would be my absolute last choice for speed reloading an in-battery gun with trigger riiight there next to it, all while running full tilt. LEM negates it quite a bit by instantaneously self-decocking and moving that trigger away. VP9 is second best in this regard. So, given some specific aspects of 3G, I would chose a VP9 for higher level of performance but lesser safety margins for error or 30L LEM for lower performance but a bit higher safety margin for certain things that you might be required to do in 3G.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I started 3 gun using a Sig M11A1 and decided after a couple of matches a striker pistol might be a better choice. Having owned Glock, M&P, and Springfield I knew I wanted something more than they offered. I tested a PPQ range rental, and really liked it. I went on the search for a PPQ model 1. I couldn't find one locally, but as luck would have it, I found a VP9. I bought the VP9 and love it for 3 gun. The consistent and predictable trigger pull helped me shoot faster and more consistently. A shooter I know from last season just bought one and shot his first match last weekend and he commented that he expects that more shooters will be showing up with them this season. All I could think was "crap, there went my secret edge." LOL. I did find a PPQ, and gave it to my daughter when she graduated college.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
In addition, while I love paddle mag release, it would be my absolute last choice for speed reloading an in-battery gun with trigger riiight there next to it, all while running full tilt.
Hmmm.... I do this all the time for last 15 years. But I know what you have in mind. Neither LEM nor VP9/SFP9 trigger is a problem here, because in both cases trigger is way forward from mag release. However I witnessed ND during fast magazine change on SA/DA USP with match trigger. In SA mode trigger shoe is very close to mag release and trigger finger taking shortcut on way to mag release is a problem. But I have good solution for that as well. Works fast (actually fastest method that I tried), reduces need to shift grip and is also safest - use middle finger to operate magazine release, instead of trigger finger. When reaching with middle finger back to mag release, trigger finger involuntarily straightens and goes away from trigger (you can do keeping it on trigger, but it requires conscious effort not to straighten it). I actually rest my trigger finger along slide over slide catch during mag change. In case of emergency reload if facilitates easier slide "auto-forward" (even on 1911, but that is because I'm lefty).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts