HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a lot of posts recently preferring the P30L. Just curious about the reasons. How do you all compare them. I have shot the P30 v3 but not the P30 L. I love the P30. What am I missing? My previous gun was a beretta px4. The P30 is similar in size so I am accustomed to the relative size and weight. My local range doesn't rent HKs so I haven't been able to shoot the longer barrel and so can't compare. Thanks for any input.

·
Banned
188 Posts
To quote a post of mine in another thread:

The P30L should be known as the P30, and the P30 should be known as the P30K, for "kurz", LOL.

I personally just feel the L is more balanced, and it just, well, looks "right". Frankly I think the P30's barrel is a bit short given its grip size.
I prefer the added barrel length/site radius (whether or not it gives measurable gains in ballistics aside, it just gives me a warm fuzzy).

As far as weight, it's no secret the L will have a bit more metal on it, but given the category of gun we're looking at (ie- not subcompacts), I don't think the difference is substantial.
And in terms of concealment, slide length isn't so much of an issue for me. I feel that girth and handle length are most important. So the added length of the L won't be that much of an issue for CC.
I personally CC a P30L almost daily. Granted I am rather hefty, but it isn't much worse than concealing a USP compact.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
The P30L is just a longer slide version of the P30. If there is a safety in play, the P30LS has the shorter slide release. Also, the dust cover is longer.

I favor the P30L because the longer slide fits my grip better.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I love my P30 40 s V3. I like the shorter barrel and shoot it better then my P30L
I'm not doubting you, Larry, but I have to ask...... WHY? This defies logic.

With its longer barrel, longer sight radius, and better balance, everyone should shoot the P30L at least as well as the P30 and, normally, better. With all else being equal, a shooter should be (and normally is) more accurate with a handgun that has better balance and a longer sight radius. This is exactly why match pistols have longer, not shorter, barrels.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I love my P30 40 s V3. I like the shorter barrel and shoot it better then my P30L
For whatever reason I seem to shoot the P30 better than the P30L too. It doesn't make sense and may be all in my head but it was consistent enough that the P30 is what I primarily shoot now.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
For whatever reason I seem to shoot the P30 better than the P30L too. It doesn't make sense and may be all in my head but it was consistent enough that the P30 is what I primarily shoot now.
P30 and P30L use exactly same sights. With shorter slide of P30, sight picture is slightly different with front sight "tighter" inside rear sight. This can promote better accuracy with P30 for some shooters by allowing more consistent sight picture.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sadly enough this just makes me want to get a P30L to go along with my P30. Do they use the same magazine? Money, money, money!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Well, the bottom line is, if the P30 works for you, whatever the reason, than that's the pistol you should go with. I can't argue with that. :wink:

·
Registered
120 Posts
You really aren't going to be disappointed either way. Unless you really have a preference regarding a slightly different slide length then just go with whichever you can get, and get a better deal on. You really cant go wrong, and as others have mentioned the grip is exactly the same size on both so if you decide to use it for CC it shouldn't make a difference which version you pick.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've read this same report now in more than a couple of people's experience.

I've tried to come up with a rational explanation and the ONLY thing I could possibly muster logically is that perhaps the number of twists in the barrel of the P30 spins a certain weight bullet at a more ideal rate than the P30L. I assume the twist rate is the same in both barrels, and if so, the total number of turns in a P30L barrel would be greater due to being a longer barrel.

This may be totally ludicrous but I really couldn't come up with anything, so I'm certainly not afraid of having this theory shot down.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I like the size of the P30 and holster availability. Put me in the category of those that shoot mid sized pistols better. I shoot a Glock 19 better than a Glock 17 and a SIG 228/229 better than a SIG 226. So my choice is the P30 rather than the P30L. Bill

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I've read this same report now in more than a couple of people's experience.

I've tried to come up with a rational explanation and the ONLY thing I could possibly muster logically is that perhaps the number of twists in the barrel of the P30 spins a certain weight bullet at a more ideal rate than the P30L. I assume the twist rate is the same in both barrels, and if so, the total number of turns in a P30L barrel would be greater due to being a longer barrel.

This may be totally ludicrous but I really couldn't come up with anything, so I'm certainly not afraid of having this theory shot down.
It's a thought. I remember Todd G explaining that he thought follow up shots were quicker because the slide was shorter it had a shorter upward and then downward travel. I don't shoot fast enough for that to be a factor but I did 'mind tag' it as interesting.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I'm not doubting you, Larry, but I have to ask...... WHY? This defies logic.

With its longer barrel, longer sight radius, and better balance, everyone should shoot the P30L at least as well as the P30 and, normally, better. With all else being equal, a shooter should be (and normally is) more accurate with a handgun that has better balance and a longer sight radius. This is exactly why match pistols have longer, not shorter, barrels.
Dont know why. For me its the same reason i shoot my Glock 23 better then my 22 and my 30 SF better then my 21 Gen 4. I also shoot my 229 sig better then my 226.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Well i received my P30LS for lahilljack(Mike) today. When i can take my standard and shoot both side by side i'll post my experience. Should be tomorrow i hope. I have my 124gr Nato ready in case i need it...either model is a fine gun...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts