HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have the P30SK or other models with the changeable grip: how did you figure out what works best? Obviously, several combinations. Just curious. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
that's what I did ...just got this one...shown with my present daily carry...somewhere I read that these HK's are addicting................................

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
take off retaining pin

close eyes, and lift firearm to natural point of aim (unloaded of course)
switch backstraps until you can open your eyes, and get a correct sight picture
adjust the side straps to maximize your grip and have your trigger finger in the correct position on the trigger

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. I know it may be kind of a silly question.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Thank you. I know it may be kind of a silly question.
It's not.

You are looking for what combination results in the least front sight movement at the break.

That may be with trigger finger on the pad, or sunk further to the distal phalange. Obviously this depends on your hand size and finger length.

I would suggest two approaches:

Dry Practice: Using your hand size as a guide, select all Grip modules to match (e.g. Glove size medium, put the mediums on). Leave the retaining pin out.

Follow safe dry practice guidelines, and perform "wall drill" trigger presses, ensuring the sight does not move. Grip hard. No, harder than that.

Tip: wear a AAA headlamp and / or +1 diopter safety glasses to enhance your ability to clearly see the front sight.

Experiment, and choose a grip size combo that minimizes front sight movement.

Live Fire: Assemble the selected Grip panels, and repeat the drill, live fire. Watch for front sight movement. Re-evaluate the grips installed based on results. This may require several shooting sessions.

As a metric, shooting 'The Test' (10 rounds at 10 yards in 10 seconds) on an NRA B8 target will help to give you a score. You are looking for all 10 rounds in the black.

Tip: sometimes going +1 size on the support side Grip panel can help 'fill the gap' for your support side palm, so as to provide more surface area for recoil control.

The end result should be a grip backstrap and side panel choice tailored 'for you' and your particular anthropometry, based on minimum sight movement and objective shooting results.

Rich

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is a thorough response! Thank you for explaining so well. I am definitely going to have to do this.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I like trying different combinations while at the range and evaluate during live fire. I find I can leave the retaining pin out which makes changes very easy. I use fairly firm grip though. To me the back strap is the most important.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is a good idea. I will need to get to the range soon.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that's what I did ...just got this one...shown with my present daily carry...somewhere I read that these HK's are addicting.....
What is the lower pistol? I hesitate to guess and upset you by getting it wrong.

·
Registered
412 Posts
It may depend on which trigger you have as well.

I have a VP9 with a medium back strap but my P30SK is more comfortable with the Large because the trigger breaks much further back in the trigger guard.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good to know. Thank you for sharing your experience in this.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
At a glance, I probably wouldn't have guessed a SIG or a Bersa. No markings that I could read though.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for clarifying!

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
I believe that's the Smith & Wesson 3913. Also called the "Lady Smith" in 9mm. A very nice example of the 3rd gen Smith autos.
It is a S&W 3913 NL.....same as the "lady smith" but without the logo on the slide....I am going to put the XS express 24/7 big dot sites on my P30sk as well

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
i mucked with mine for quite a while, at home and the range, to determine which configuration work dbest for me.

If i remember correctly, medium backstrap, left small panel, and right large panel so my palm is filled ( no beef baton, or pork sword jokes :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
It may depend on which trigger you have as well.

I have a VP9 with a medium back strap but my P30SK is more comfortable with the Large because the trigger breaks much further back in the trigger guard.
Damn. Have vp9 and p30sk n p30. I'm going to up my back straps and see. Never thought to do that.
Math Nerd Fact: 3 sizes with 3 slots= 27 grip configurations.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts