HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. I'm new to the HKPro forum and as you'll see from below, I have an ulterior motive. I'm a S&W collector and range shooter, and active on that forum, but I'm no dummy (I think.) I carry H&K.

I love my USP 40C. It's been my principle carry tool for many years, but I'm getting older. I started looking for something smaller and lighter, and I even resigned to going into the 9 mm club. With that in mind I treated myself to a new P30SK (V3). I figured it was the closest I could get to my USP without compromising on those important little things like reliability. Seemed like the same action. I carry with a round chambered, but no safety, so that V3 DA/SA trigger suites me just fine. I've been used to it with my USP.

Here's what I've found. The p30SK is only about 4 oz lighter. Oh well. Can't do much about that, but at least 10 x 9mm will be less weight that 10 x 40 cal.

But my 4 lb 8 oz USP trigger feels so much better than my 6 lb 4 oz P30SK trigger. (I'm referring to the SA pull here.) WTF? Is this normal? Anyone have any trigger job suggestions? My regular gunsmith doesn't have much (if any) H&K experience there.

One other issue. I've got 350 rounds through it so far, and I haven't seen any decrease in stovepipe problems. About 2 - 3 per box using mostly Blazer Brass 114 grain jacketed round tip. I asked the H&K service desk about this (via email) and they gave me the answer that I would be better off to use hotter rounds with 124 grain loads. They say that the recoil spring is stiff to lessen recoil, and they don't offer a weaker guide rod/spring set. Wow! I was a bit surprised there.

Seems to make sense. I was watching some ejected shells and noticed they are only being bumped straight up by about 2 inches. Sometimes they even fall back onto the slide. Haven't gotten back to the range to try different ammo yet, but I was also using Winchester SVX and Remington +P defensive ammo. I don't remember any bump&rack there.

So has anyone else been dealing with these issues? I would love to hear of any useful info on this. In general, the P30 SK is a solid pistol and easy to operate. But, as I said at first - reliability, reliability, reliability.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
No issues with 115/124/147 grain ammo. Lock your slide back overnight and clean off the factory goo if haven't already. I don't find the SA trigger all that heavy...if I compare it to say a PPQ, indeed it's different, but nothing a little practice can't accommodate.

You could likely send to a couple of the frequently mentioned gunsmiths who work on HK triggers, mine I leave as-is as perfectly acceptable to me. YMMV

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
You won’t get any help from HK on the action/trigger other than stock, their lawyers won’t allow it. At 350rds you don’t have enough range time on it to do a trigger/action job, shoot it some more.
There’s nothing wrong with the HK DA/SA pull, but I read otherwise on the internet so it must be true. It’s a combat weapon, shoot it some more.

I had normal ejection on my P30SK since day one, even starting with 115gr Fed Champ. And still have no ball/JHP stoppages to date, even with weak LH shooting (the short stroke action + dual springs RSA works).
Change your ammo and report back.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The only failures I've had with my P30 SK were about 5-6 out of 1000 failure to go into battery with really cheap reloaded ammo I bought for range time. Won’t be buying that crap again. All factory new ammo, even Blazer ran just fine.

Happy shooting!

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
You can change your Firing Pin Block Spring to the lighter one, HK part number 209296.
This will drop the trigger pull weight by about a pound.

Blazer Brass is weak ammo. Your best bet is to use ammo that is the ballistic equivalent of your carry ammo.
With that, I'm sure your pistol will run fine.

·
Registered
627 Posts
My guess would be since you went from 40 to 9 you might have loosened on your grip which might be the cause of the brass not flying as far. That and everything everybody mentioned. Congrats on the new P30SK and welcome to the forum. You can get the light Firing Pin Block Spring at https://us.hkwebshop.com/hkstorefro...s/USP-HK45-Firing-pin-block-spring/p/50209296
They changed the # from 209296 to 50209296. They stopped listing it as the light FPBS for some reason.

·
Registered
446 Posts
My wife and I run 124 gr round nose (commercial or reloads) and 147 gr HSTs. One SK had zero FTF's out of the box, the other had a few in the first couple hundred rounds. Point is there's a bit of variability from gun to gun out of the box.

That said, there's been plenty of reports of soft 115's giving SK's FTF problems in the first several hundred rounds. Either switch ammo, or keep shooting the 115s until break-in is complete.

On the trigger, 6 lbs.+ seems a bit high -- our V3's didn't seem that high, although I never measured them (and can't now, as ours are converted to LEM). The lighter firing pin block spring will help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just measured my V3 P30SK with a digital Lyman scale. SA was 5lbs 2oz, DA was 9lbs 12oz.

Edit:
I just installed the enhanced firing pin block spring, my trigger is is now 4lbs 5oz / 9lbs 5oz.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm. Interesting. Thanks. Yea, I'm using a Lyman also, and my DA pull was way over 10 lbs. I wonder if they had to change that for the good ol Massachusetts requirements. Suggestions above about the firing pin block spring seem to be in order.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
My P30sk didn't have any problems that I can recall new. I didn't intentionally use hot ammo in it to 'break in'. I'm pretty sure the first rounds I put through it were federal range practice 115. It's possible I tried HST or gold dots first, I really don't remember, but that would have only been a couple mags at most. I may have locked the slide back overnight prior to its first range trip. That is a habit of mine, but again I don't specifically remember. That's the first thing I would try, followed by making sure your grip is tight when you return to the range.

The SA pull doesn't bother me, seems about comparable to the VP9. I don't have gauges and whatnot. The DA pull is pretty rough though. I'm not generally a fan of messing with my guns though, so I have no plans to change it. Definitely won't spend the money on a trigger job, but I may look into changing the hammer or firing pin block springs in the future.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Followup report. Thanks for all the great info. After using several of these ideas I have the SA pull down to 5lb 9oz, and the shell eject is flying better. No stovepipes on today's 100 round trip. Still using the Blazer Brass for now since I have a few thousand rounds to use up. SO I've left the slide locked back several times overnight, cleaned the action again (shop vac to remove any gunk loosened up by the Balistol) and I've ordered the lighter hammer block spring. 700 rounds and counting.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Now that's it's broken in your Blazer Brass should work just fine, I've shot thousands of rounds without issue, 115/124/147 all work just fine. Try the Fiocchi, it's a bit warmer and lately it has been even cheaper than the Blazer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts