HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a new P30sk LEM V1. I had planned on upgrading my sights when purchased. However, they did not have HD's to fit. I have HD's on 3 Glocks and like them very much.
But, I'm not sure now. I really really like the luminescent sights at the range. I know they could be a slight disadvantage after dark. So here's my take on this. The P30sk is my EDC gun. I hope and plan it will never be used for anything other than periodical range fun to get familiar with the LEM trigger. ( love it so far ) I also know that almost all situations where deadly force is needed is at very close range, where sights may not be considered at all any way. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I recently purchased a new P30sk LEM V1. I had planned on upgrading my sights when purchased. However, they did not have HD's to fit. I have HD's on 3 Glocks and like them very much.
But, I'm not sure now. I really really like the luminescent sights at the range. I know they could be a slight disadvantage after dark. So here's my take on this. The P30sk is my EDC gun. I hope and plan it will never be used for anything other than periodical range fun to get familiar with the LEM trigger. ( love it so far ) I also know that almost all situations where deadly force is needed is at very close range, where sights may not be considered at all any way. Am I missing something?
HDs should fit

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for your replays. What I meant though.....I'm not sure I want night sights now. I like the factory luminescent sights very well. They are better at the range than after market sights. So, are night sights really important on a EDC gun?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Inswitched the luminescent sights on my VP9 to HD's and I shot way better with the stock sights. I think I'll be going back when I eventually pick up a sight tool.

·
Registered
675 Posts
The HD's are great sights for what they are designed to do and take some practice to get used to. They are not target sights and weren't meant to be. I tried the HD's but going to the Bright and Tough.
If you are asking whether to have night sights or not I will take the night sights every time.

·
Registered
313 Posts
If you want night sights but also want to keep a sight picture similar to the luminescent sights your pistol came with, try the Meprolight night sights (which are what HK installs on their pistols with factory night sights).

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you want night sights but also want to keep a sight picture similar to the luminescent sights your pistol came with, try the Meprolight night sights (which are what HK installs on their pistols with factory night sights).
Thanks very much! I will definitely check out those.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Thanks very much! I will definitely check out those.
No problem. I have Meprolights on my full size P30s and like them quite a bit. I have found them from reputable dealers for around $80/set, so they are also a pretty good value for a quality night sight.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
trijicon is making HDs with smaller front sights now, i have seen the grawk version in stores, not sure when HK sights will be available

·
Registered
313 Posts
trijicon is making HDs with smaller front sights now, i have seen the grawk version in stores, not sure when HK sights will be available
I haven't seen any in person, but i know Trijicon has the new HD XR line of sights that are similar to the original HDs, but have a narrower front sight post (which is supposed to allow better field of view through the U-notch of the rear sight). Personally, i like the idea and am looking forward to trying a set out.

Thanks everyone for your replays. What I meant though.....I'm not sure I want night sights now. I like the factory luminescent sights very well. They are better at the range than after market sights. So, are night sights really important on a EDC gun?
As far as adding tritium but keeping close to the factory sight picture goes, I believe the Trijicon Bright and Tough series are most similar to the Meprolights, but i have never used them so don't hold me to that. I initially went with the Meprolights because they were slightly less expensive and they are what i already had on several HKs that came with factory night sights. But having installed Trijicon HDs on a couple pistols now, i have really grown to like them quite a bit.

Just some food for thought on sight selection... A couple of my carry/home defense pistols are equipped with 10-8 sights that have a serrated plain black U-notch rear and a brass bead front sight that i can see well in low light conditions and am quite accurate with. I'm also very accurate with the all black target sights on my USP45 Tactical, which have neither luminescent dots, nor tritium inserts. All my home defense weapons have a white light mounted to them so i can positively identify the threat/target in a darkened space. With a 500 lumen Surefire X300 burning on the front of my pistol in a dark room, the glow of the tritium is washed out and all i can see is the black silhouette of the sights against the now well lit area in front of me. So, having tritium sights in that instance is a moot point. Getting back to the OP's question regarding the value of night sights on an EDC weapon, whether night sights are important or not is really matter of personal preference and ability (IMHO). It depends entirely on what you're comfortable with and would allow you to be most effective should you (God forbid) ever need to use your weapon in defense of self or others.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
i spoke to my friend yesterday, and he just installed a set of the smaller HDs on his VP9
i'll get to try them out saturday at the range

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Just my $0.02. Another thing to think about is that, unlike the ramp on the stock sights, the rear sights of both the Mepros and the Trijicon HDs have a vertical/forward angled surface that allow an one-handed slide rack (for a malfunction clear when an arm is disabled or used for protection or other purposes) by using your belt or a hard surface to catch the rear sight. I think I like the HDs better because the last ones I installed (2015) are big and the front sight surround is nice, but I think the Mepros are the better sight for quick presentation from concealed carry.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for your replies.
I will look closely at the new HD-XR AND MEPS. I have HD's on other guns, like them very well although the front sight is rather large. Also, my HD's are yellow, I would like to see the orange before I buy this time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm happy with my sights, I have two HK P30 SK's, one is a LE V3, with night sights and three magazines, the other is a LE V1 LEM, also excellent nights sights and three magazines, I opted for the LE (LAW ENFORCEMENT) version because for a little more these guns came with great night sights and the extra magazine, both my guns are accurate, reliable and the night sights just pop at night ....I have no need for anything else, good luck with your choice, but you might just want to keep what the gun came with, they work and work well...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts