HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How soon until you all think HK will come out with a 40 S&W version of say the P30 or HK45?

It's nice to get some more variety around here.

Actually I really want a Hk45 but I'd love to have a 45 and 40 cal version of the new HK's.

My USPf and P2000SK need some more siblings around here!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm with ya - I'd like to see the P30 available in .40SW and .357sig. Then I'd hope they would come out with the P30sk. If this happens - look for the P2000 line to get phased out.

I have a P2000sk in 357sig but would love to have a P30sk in 357sig.

·
Registered
851 Posts
To my understanding, when the USP was originally released, it was done so with the .40 S&W platform in mind. Therefore, the transition to .357 Sig and 9mm was easier. A lot of other gun companies do it vice versa starting with 9mm and trying to adapt the pistol to a .40 and .357 which lead them to occassionally run into problems.

I'm hoping HK keeps to their formula and if they release a .40 version of the P30, hopefully there won't be any problems.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
I believe the P30 was made to fill a Gov. contract in Europe, thus the 9mm chambering. The last I heard there were no plans for a P30 in .40, there really isn't a market for .40 and .357sig in Europe.

They offer a P30L in the European market (or at least that was the plan), kind of a target model (for lack of a better term).

Ironchef is correct, the USP was originally designed on a .40 platform, so it was able to handle the higher chamber presure of the .40 and .357 rounds easily. As a result it was simple to down size to the lower chamber presure of the 9mm. the .45 cal USP line were built on a seperate frame etc...

Anyway, that is just what I know about these handguns... I too would like to see a P30 in .357sig, but I'm not holding my breath..

·
Registered
123 Posts
I believe the P30 was made to fill a Gov. contract in Europe, thus the 9mm chambering. The last I heard there were no plans for a P30 in .40, there really isn't a market for .40 and .357sig in Europe......
But there is a market for those calibers right here in the USA, why wouldn't H&K go after that market. The USP was designed as a 40 exactly for the American market so they could compete for the US Police contracts.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Because contractual work makes up probably a much larger magnitude of their profits than you think. I'd say the US civilian market in their profit share is probably along the lines of maybe about 5%

·
Registered
130 Posts
They offer a P30L in the European market (or at least that was the plan), kind of a target model (for lack of a better term).
Your right, and it will be available in Canada as well since the P30 is prohibited because of it's barrel size.

·
Banned
1,245 Posts
The P30 was adapted in 2006 by the German Customs.
I think they got 30.000 guns delivered.
Funny thing with the German Customs is, they have no arresting power!

The P2000 is a good gun in .357/.40, the question for HK is if they would sell more P30 in that caliber then P2000 to make this investment pay for itself.
I would think so + keeps them the leader in the market!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Well I read some where that the 40cal pistols will be built on the HK45 frame. Not sure if this is true or not but I read it some where.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts