HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard of the P7 series having a problem with ADs when the front strap is depressed?

I was told that is the reason that P7s are specifically not allowed by my departments policy...

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've never heard of this. Sounds like someone might have squeezed all of their fingers instead of just the ones of the cocker?

·
Registered
200 Posts
If you hold down the trigger and pull the front strap, it will fire.
That is the only thing that it may be with the design of the pistol.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Just goes to show that when you try to make something idiot-proof, someone will always be able to make a better idiot. This P7 quirk is clearly discussed in the operator's manual:

ALL HK P7 PISTOLS CAN BE FIRED IN THREE DIFFERENT WAYS:

a) Depressing the cocking lever and then pulling the trigger (preferred
method) – single action.
b) Pulling the trigger and then depressing the cocking lever – double
action.

c) The cocking lever is depressed and the trigger is pulled simultaneously.

Then there's just basic gun safety--everybody knows you always keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I had someone on another board tell me this "My department tested the P7's but heard about too many guys shooting themselves in the legs by accident when the squeeze cocker was depressed."

I asked him how this would be possible and he never expanded on his statement. Either he was bs-ing ignorantly and couldn't explain, or realized he was wrong.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I had someone on another board tell me this "My department tested the P7's but heard about too many guys shooting themselves in the legs by accident when the squeeze cocker was depressed."

I asked him how this would be possible and he never expanded on his statement. Either he was bs-ing ignorantly and couldn't explain, or realized he was wrong.
It's called "not minding your trigger finger" ;)

·
Registered
3,199 Posts

I believe this was the reason why the NJ State Police decided to get rid of the P7M8. They stated that the P7M8 was not safe for duty carry after a few AD and Troopers shooting themselves. Its not because the gun was unsafe but because the Troopers were taught/trained to keep the gun cocked while holstering the gun. With the light trigger, bad training, and a poorly designed holster its no wonder they were having "safety issues".

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Theres no excuse for shooting yourself in the leg because you were squeezing both the grip AND the trigger when you shouldn't be. Certainly can't blame the gun.

·
Registered
802 Posts
NJSP got rid of their P7M8 because they were really old guns with a lot of mileage. Parts failure starts becoming a common problem.

They do have documented cases where the gun in fact did fail due to a broken firing pin bushing.

None the less, always keep the gun pointed in safe direction when you cock it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
To avoid any attempt at misunderstanding, which many attempt to do. . . . .

the trigger must be pulled AND HELD; then squeeze your cocker and you'll get a discharge. You can't pull the trigger, release the trigger, THEN squeeze, and expect a bang.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
To avoid any attempt at misunderstanding, which many attempt to do. . . . .

the trigger must be pulled AND HELD; then squeeze your cocker and you'll get a discharge. You can't pull the trigger, release the trigger, THEN squeeze, and expect a bang.
Actually as has been stated above the P7 series can be fired in three ways:

"a) Depressing the cocking lever and then pulling the trigger (preferred
method) – single action.
b) Pulling the trigger and then depressing the cocking lever – double
action.
c) The cocking lever is depressed and the trigger is pulled simultaneously"

·
Registered
436 Posts
I can't attest to the validity of this story but I was talking to an ex Spec forces guy down here in Tampa who told me that

"Delta looked at that gun years ago but after an AD they went another route and got rid of them"

I trust this guy at his word but I am wondering if anyone else heard this

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
The only thing I've ever heard of that could cause an AD that was NOT due to poor trigger control was here, recently.

Someone had one that was firing when they RELEASED the cocking lever.

But Mark71 - you said they were trained to keep it cocked while holstering? Did no one RTFM? That's crazy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I worked with a guy at a gun store about eight years ago that managed to shoot himself in the butt with a P7M8. He had gotten a new holster (leather OWB without a re-enforcing band around the top opening). He holstered the pistol and the holster compressed slightly and pushed the trigger back. Sometime later he was sitting at the desk behind the counter and for some reason squeezed the cocking lever on his holstered pistol. He shot himself right in the butt with a 9mm Magsafe. The ND was witnessed by others who confirmed that was exactly what happened.

For some reason the guy was carrying a Glock 19 when he finally made it back to work, yet another case of blaming the weapon for poor equipment and gun handling. He had a M8 and a M13 (he might have had two M8s and the M13, I can't remember for sure) and he sold them all off.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I can't attest to the validity of this story but I was talking to an ex Spec forces guy down here in Tampa who told me that

"Delta looked at that gun years ago but after an AD they went another route and got rid of them"

I trust this guy at his word but I am wondering if anyone else heard this
Name one gun where no one has ever AD. Bet you can't.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Name one gun where no one has ever AD. Bet you can't.
I can name a whole bunch - every one I've ever owned. I almost had one once, but it wouldn't have really been an accidental discharge. More like an intentional but unexpected discharge.

There is one issue I'm concerned about with the P7 - and that is accidently cocking it while unholstering. I know, I know, it won't fire unless the trigger is also pulled, but I still practice being able to draw it without cocking it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Either this is Internet BS, or the NJ State Troopers are too stupid to operate a firearm.

Can youu guess which is correct?

·
Registered
52 Posts
BTW, the proper way to operate the P7 is to get a full combat grip, and cock the pistol before you draw it from the holster. Finger on the trigger when you get on target. Decock as you bring the pistol into you chest on the way back to the holster.

On reloads, you cock the pistol at the same time you reslease the slide.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
BTW, the proper way to operate the P7 is to get a full combat grip, and cock the pistol before you draw it from the holster. Finger on the trigger when you get on target. Decock as you bring the pistol into you chest on the way back to the holster.

On reloads, you cock the pistol at the same time you reslease the slide.
I don't cock it until it's on it's way up, pointed somewhere other than at my thighs, knees, or feet.

And yeah, the cocking lever IS the slide release.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts