HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
USP-T 45, Mark 23, SP5, & P7 (BMI)
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just wanted to ask you P7 owners out there few question regarding “Plating” (chrome/nickel) a P7.
First, I’m torn between preserving the original finish and history of my BMI P7 PSP. So I wanted to hear what y’all thought of preserving the originality of them (and I’m aware mine is not particularly special other than it being BMI). But is considered a sin in the HK community?
Second, If it’s totally awesome and I get recommendations to do it, what’s the major differences between nickel and chrome? I’m leaning towards nickel simply based of looks, sort of.
lastly, who would you recommend do the “plating” if you have had it done or know of a reputable dude?

Thank you
Ps I just realized I forgot the word “finish” while writing this thing so I said “plating”, lol.

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,337 Posts
I service H&Ks daily and I will tell you that the nickel, chrome and other "fancy" finishes don't hold up/look good once the pistol actually gets used. Chipping, flaking and just showing carbon build up is the norm. So, if you want a pistol that looks cool on Instagram or a coffee table, go ahead. If you want a gun to shoot and carry, go with a black finish. I send lots of business to CCR and prefer their House Black finish.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Have you had any experience with the Robar NP3 finish? Just wondering, I know they have folded but others are doing the same finish. I have had many guns with the finish just not the P7 and that finish is fantastic. I have not had any bad experience with hard chrome but nickel, etc. will flake for sure.

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,337 Posts
Have you had any experience with the Robar NP3 finish? Just wondering, I know they have folded but others are doing the same finish. I have had many guns with the finish just not the P7 and that finish is fantastic. I have not had any bad experience with hard chrome but nickel, etc. will flake for sure.
Yes, I used Robar's NP3, NP3 Plus and Roguard many times when they were in business.

·
I Bleed Urban Gray
2,560 Posts
... I send lots of business to CCR and prefer their House Black finish.
Did Birdsong go under? I remember you used to send your mags to them. Wondering why CCR now?

·
LOW SPEED, HIGH DRAG
HK4 (4 cal), HK45T, P7PSP, P7M13, P30SKS, MARK23, SBRs: SP5, SP5K, Z5-RS, USC/UMP
381 Posts
Did Birdsong go under? I remember you used to send your mags to them. Wondering why CCR now?
Easy answer; CCR’s CP-II finish. A true plating using a Electroless Nickel / Boron Nitride process. Looks like this on a P7 PSP (former NDS police gun):

8266F306-CEEA-4A5F-9982-9BAE04503FC2.jpeg

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,337 Posts
Their QC went downhill when the original owner passed away. I don't send them my business anymore.

·
1,200 Posts
Hard Chrome works great! It's not a "layer" like traditional chrome plating. I had a P7-M8 hard cromed by Tripp back in the early 2000's and it still looks great today.

It has been carried and used quite a bit. I even used it in 4-5 of Tom's MP5 classes for civilians.

·
Registered
114 Posts
That should cost nothing less than a cool $3k, else its posted on GB and some rich clueless person pays way more for it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts