HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A new gun store opened up in town, and they had a chrome P7 in the case. I texted my friend who knows a heck of a lot more than me regarding HKs and he told me to buy it. So I did.

I know very little about the P7 in particular. Not sure what I've got. I believe it's a PSP, but a little research shows they were never factory chromed, so I likely have something an importer or previous owner had hard-chromed, correct?

It came with 2 magazines, a beat up box with the test target and a small tool of some kind, and looks pretty much new. I wanted to do some research but my friend told me to move fast so I went for it. The shop owner told me I was about 2 hours ahead of someone who came in asking to buy it.

Unfortunately I lost my job and money is a touch tight, so it's still at the shop on layaway until I get a little scratch together.

I have a USP, a HK45, and I've owned a P2000SK and P30SK, this is my first "older" HK.

Can someone help educate me, point me to a good place for info, maybe a good YouTube video on disassembly and cleaning?

And the most important part - did I overpay? The price was $700, which I think is what P7s were going for when I was looking a few years back. Not sure how much that's changed or what the finer points of collectability are on the P7 to dictate pricing. My friend was non-specific, other than telling me "You did good, get it home, shoot it, be happy". I'm not sure exactly what he meant, I gave him first crack and he declined, so I figured it wasn't overly rare or a real bargain.

5EDACED1-1E9A-47D0-BBF3-1E2AE498EEF9_zpseo1rxia3.jpg

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Great buy! If you decide you don't want it I will gladly take it off your hands...Seriously. Been looking for one and that is an excellent price. It was definitely refinished. More pics would help

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
It's probably a refinished PSP police trade-in. Unless it is mechanically a complete mess (which I highly doubt), at $700 you got a fantastic buy by any measure!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Yes it is a good price. If You can take a pic of the other side of the slide. You will be able to tell more about it. Look at the ones on GB and see what they are selling for. I think You will be happy you found that for 700.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good news so far I guess!

This is the other side of the gun. I don't have any more photos right now.

B0E0F41A-44E9-4052-8341-21D48DDFC3E9_zpsx2lha0ji.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes it is a good price. If You can take a pic of the other side of the slide. You will be able to tell more about it. Look at the ones on GB and see what they are selling for. I think You will be happy you found that for 700.
Like I said, I have no idea if there is some finer points making the pistols on GunBroker worth more or not. I've seen two nearly identical pistols sell for several hundred dollars difference due to a box, making it collector complete, or having a certain mark that makes it from some certain run that makes it ultra rare.

A lot of times Gun Broker also has a pile of listings that are well over-valued and sit. I didn't delve into finished auctions.

I appreciate any assistance you can lend!

·
Maximum effort
809 Posts
Great price. I'd say you got it for half price in today's market.

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
You got the deal of the month, keep making payments on it so you can bring it home. It has the original protruding mag release, could be a police trade in of a refinished Arlington.

Nice grab

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
You got the deal of the month, keep making payments on it so you can bring it home. It has the original protruding mag release, could be a police trade in of a refinished Arlington.

Nice grab
This & could be a an old RTB import from the 80's, if so you did very well regardless.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Wow, this thread made me check in on P7 prices as I had no idea they went insane.

I got my PSP (FANTASTIC pistol, excellent carry piece, wife loves it, get new shooters going on it all the time) around '09 or '10 and actually overpaid for it, exactly what the OP paid. Well my gunsmith/FFL friend liked it so much he found a distributor that had a lot of Grade As and Bs and bought a dozen or so for 400 bucks each. At the time I was steamed that for about 450 bucks I could have had a better P7 because after seeing the glossier finish on those all original Grade As I became positive mine was refinished by HK because it had the same matte USP finish.

I think he kept the best one for himself and I thought about getting one from him a time or two while he had them but man, I can't imagine what it would be like now to release a dozen Grade As.

I guess I don't feel so bad now after seeing what the prices have done.

·
Registered
503 Posts
If you zoom in and look closely at the right side of the frame, you can barely make out the eagle and the antler proof marks. That should make it a commercial Arlington import P7.

Congrats on your purchase OP. You did very well.

Now that the congratulations are out of the way, tell me more about the stainless USP that was sitting in the case next to your P7.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
If you zoom in and look closely at the right side of the frame, you can barely make out the eagle and the antler proof marks. That should make it a commercial Arlington import P7.

Congrats on your purchase OP. You did very well.

Now that the congratulations are out of the way, tell me more about the stainless USP that was sitting in the case next to your P7.
I can't speak as to whether it is still there or not, but the price for that one was also $700.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got paid yesterday, brought it home today. Some more detail photos;

Box has the manual, test target (dated Oct 6, 1980), warranty card, bore brush, and some other tool I'm not familiar with. Magazines are dated HJ - '79

The refinish has the roll marks and serial number very light. Date code is IA - '80. Any additional info out of these?

5D2C8817-393A-418D-8EDC-CE57BC3FB901_zpsqsqvukr2.jpg
05A45D1C-7B68-470C-A15D-4A6FC8160796_zpsqjng1tuw.jpg
8FC0445E-277E-45F3-9999-F5F8AAC96038_zpshqbknnkk.jpg
217139D3-DA33-4928-9EDB-03AE63BFA514_zpsn2e7otlp.jpg
AF826816-3AB8-4706-9F87-0BA48B5E979F_zpsko9rs9zh.jpg
9AFD0A84-CB09-490B-9585-B63910F76F77_zps7f2yyq4g.jpg

1 - 20 of 24 Posts