HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having owned a few custom rigs for various carry pistols over the years, I assumed that when I would eventually go looking for a PSP carry solution, that I would have found plenty of holster options. As you all know, I was WRONG! I called a few of my favorite makers, and they all told me that they didn't have a P7 mold, and that i would have to send in my P7 so that they could make a casting. needless to say, I wasn't jumping at the opportunity to do so.

I found P7 solutions from a select few manufacturers, but I wasn't happy with:

A) The design shapes (don't care for fat or pancake & paddle style holsters, and no kydex for me)
2) The wait times
D) The price points

I eventually came across Don Hume as someone who made leather holsters for the PSP. I had already bought one to carry my HS2000 in, so I was familiar with the design and what to expect. I eventually decided that my $500 PSP didn't require a $200 carry solution, and that for the cost of a custom holster alone, I could have a complete carry solution. I went for the Don Hume 715 for the PSP, and the B109L double thickness, lined belt. I absoltely HAVE TO HAVE a gun belt. In fact, I usually wear a gun belt as a dress belt. They are excellent for supporting the weight of a weapon, so they are overkill support for your regular drawls. All my other rigs are black, so I decided it was time to go au naturale this time. Some people think the Hume 715 is crap, but I disagree. Compared to a holster costing $70 more, sure, it isn't as good. A crappy holster? Far from it.

The Pros:
-Performance vs. cost. This combo has been very stable since I started carrying the P7. Again, the complete solution costs less than just the price of a holster from the other makers who currently make products for the P7s.

-Ease of use. Being a belt clip style, the holster is quick to go on, and easy to take of when needed. The belt is perfectly coupled with the belt clip, so the holster does not slide or shift. I've found that with belt clips, the belt needs to fill the entire clip, or else the holster shifts or (YIKES!) draws out with the weapon.

The Cons:
-Holster texture. I prefer holsters that are made rough side out. This helps keep the holster down when drawing, b/c it grabs your undies & pants rather than wanting to slide past them. Rough side out holsters are also easier on the finish. The Hume 715 is rough side in, so eventually I'll be due for that Black Hard Chrome finish I've been wanting. No worries though, when i got the P7 I was planning on refinishing, but it turned out to be nicer than I had expected.

-Color matching. The holster and belt were made in two separate batches, so the color does not match perfectly. It's not as bad as the pictures, as they seem to exploit the difference. I'm not one of those shooting range fashion queens, so that's fine by me.

-Wait time. I scored the holster immediately, but the belt had to be custom made. There was a 2 week wait on the belt. On the plus side, the Hume belt is a solid belt. In fact, I bought one for my friend on his birthday. He's loving it too.

All in all, I find this to be a nice solution for the P7 surplus pistols. This time around, I didn't feel like paying close to 4100 for the holster and another $80 for the belt, only to get dinged on shipping. My total damages here is $80.

Just thought I'd share with those with P7s and are holsterless.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I am having difficulty finding this product online (googled it). Can someone please provide direct link for the holster?

·
Registered
9 Posts
My only gripe with the Hume rigs is the location of the belt clip. He puts them directly over the slide/cylinder, which makes the rig thicker than it needs to be. It also makes the gun tilt to the rear, which is usually harder to hide, and harder to access.
Alessi, for instance, puts the clip back over the trigger guard, which tips the gun forward, FBI style, and keeps the overall package slimmer.
Now, all that said, it's hard to argue with the price of Hume stuff.
Moon

·
Registered
116 Posts
Contact Della at Rafter S Gunleather. She just made me a rig for my P7 PSP.
Mine is brown sharkskin with brown ostrich trim. She carries a P7M8 and has the molds for it and the P7 PSP. Prices are good and quality is great. Cowhide OWBs are $48 and exotics run a little more. I carry mine at least 4 days a week all day from 8-whenever I get home at night and it's comfortable. The other 3 days I usually have a 1911 in one of her rigs.

·
Registered
196 Posts
What barrel length was selected? Do I just measure the length of the barrel or the slide? Sorry, this seems like a stupid question, but I want to get it right.
Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What barrel length was selected? Do I just measure the length of the barrel or the slide? Sorry, this seems like a stupid question, but I want to get it right.
Thank you in advance.
I didn't specify barrel length, but that measurement would be the length of the barrel itself, not the entire slide. Don Hume has that field available to fill out because some handguns are available in different barrel lengths, but they are the same model number. A good example of this would be S&W revolvers. For example, you can have a 3" or 4" or 6" model 686. If ordering for the P7 PSP type pistol, be sure to select "P7" and NOT P7M8. Since the P7 is only available in one size barrel, I would leave the field blank.

Merry Christmas!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts