HKPRO Forums banner

P7 fluted vs. non-fluted barrel

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  bcg05 
#1 ·
Hi!

This is my first post. I wanted it to be post praising my very first HK firearm - a HK USP 9mm, full size V1 w/night sights which I got couple of weeks ago and shot it with overlapping points of impact just a few millimeters from the point of aim, on the very first magazine - I was stunned by the accuracy of it from the very first shot. Anyway... instead of that, this post will be a P7 question.

I am planning to get a P7 and an extended threaded barrel to accept a silencer. I can get a fluted as well as a non-fluted barrel for it (HK will do the installation for me).

Question: what difference does the fluting make? Would it have anything to do with accuracy/reliability? Since the price difference is such that I would lean toward the non-fluted, I have to know before I place the order.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Welcome JudgeUSP! :D

The USP is definatly a good gun!

As for the P7:

The fluting aids in extraction, to the point where the P7 will still extract the cartridge without an extractor installed! (although its not a good idea to try this)

The P7 was designed to be used with a fluted chamber, because of the gas piston, but i suppose like the MP5 clones, its may not really effect extraction becuase of the lower pressure.

SOmeone with far more experiance than I, should hopefully be along shortly to help you. ;)

#5 ·
Thanks guys!

I did talk to Jeff from H&K. He was very helpful and courteous and said that their armorer would do it and that it would cost $130. The extended barrel is $325/$375 (non fluted/fluted respectively). Plus the P7 I want is some $800... all together it would cost ~$1300 to have a P7.
The reason I want a P7 with extended barrel is for it to be legal in both US and Canada since every few years I change residency due to my work requirements and I have to worry about that 106mm + barrel length which P7 missed by 1mm.

But now I'm having second thoughts about P7 and thinking about a USP9 SD instead... $900 cost vs. $1300... hmmm...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.