HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the P7 fan club. I have been looking at a P7PSP that has been refinished by Robar. The gun seems to be like new, however the gas piston rattles at the pivot point in the slide. When holding the gun, this can occur with side to side or up and down movements. Is this normal on some guns?

Thanks for your help. This is a GREAT forum!

·
Registered
802 Posts
There shouldn't be. There should be a spring/plunger that keeps the piston from rattling.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've compared it to another PSP, and they look identical. The difference is that the piston is much looser on the pivot point with the slide. We even switched slides and frames, and this one still rattled on the other frame while the other PSP slide did not rattle.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Mine does not rattle, it moves but does not rattle?
Seems rather stiff. No looseness.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a spring surrounding the piston. Is this the one you are talking about? The rattle is occuring, at the pivot pin with the slide it is very loose and moves vertically and horizontally. When comparing it with the other PSP, the movement seemed about the same distance, but the one that rattles moved much more freely.

·
Registered
802 Posts
No, there is a small spring that is located within the piston at the front end where the pivot is.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can I replace that spring easily, or is it something more involved? Also do you know where I can obtain the spring?

Thanks for all of your help!

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Unless your getting a hell of a deal I'd skip that headache and find one in better shape.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The one I just got from CDNN Grade-A does it.

The Grade B does not and it was used more.

I guess I'll have to send the slide off to HK.

Isn't it possible that they didn't come with one?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can fix this yourself, if you feel comfortable doing it. First determine if you are just missing the piston spring or you also need the plunger and plunger retaining pin. The earlier models only had the spring without the plunger and plunger retaining pin. There is a thread on the PCT forum in which INSOC has some excellent pictures detailing the different pistons.

My pistol was the earlier model which only needed the spring itself. I used a drift punch to remove the piston retaining pin, inserted the spring and used a sliver of tape to keep the spring compressed in the piston while I reinserted the piston retaining pin in the slide. I then used some tweezers to remove the tape. The gun functions perfectly now with no more rattle.

Let me know if you need any help.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I forgot to mention that the springs for both models seem to be identical even though Numrich has them listed with different part numbers. I had ordered the plunger, pin, and spring from HK before determining that I had the earlier model pistol. After figuring this out, I ordered the applicable spring from Numrich. Both springs appear to be identical.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts