HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone knows any law enforcement agency still issued P7 M8 to it's personnel as standard carry. The last agency I heard is the New Jersey State Trooper but ever since I never heard any other agency that still carried them????

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tactical Joe,

You're right the New Jersey State Police were carrying the H&K P7M8's up until a few years ago. The weapons were issued in 1983 and were just at the end of their service life. From what I understand from friends that work for that agency, although it has not been confirmed, the N.J.S.P. were so satisfied with the P7M8's that after H&K stopped producing them the N.J.S.P. approached H&K and requested that production be resumed to fill an order of 3,200 new P7M8's for the Troopers. H&K refused citing the huge financial costs of retooling a factory to fill that order. Again, this rumor has not been officially substantiated. They currently carry Sig P228's.

Illinois State Police also carried the P7M8’s around the same time frame that N.J.S.P. carried them.

From what I understand the United States Park Police currently carry P7M13 as standard issue, but again the service life of that weapon is also coming to an end and I believe they are also transitioning to Sigs.

·
Premium Member
3,963 Posts
I wonder why none of these agencies transitioned to USP/USPc's, or P2K's. If they were so happy with HK's.

Just me thinking out loud...

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
the NY/NJ Port Authority used to issue P7M8's as well back in the 1980's. I couple of years ago I had the chance to buy one that had all of the NY/NJ Port Authority markings on it. I passed on it at the time as I was in the process of getting my second IB (81) P7 that was dead mint. In retrospect I should have gotten the Port Authority gun, but it too would have wound up with the other P7 series and other HK's in the big sale of mine last year.

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
P7 M8 as standard carry

I had almost the same opportunity about couple of years ago where I could purchased a used LEO P7 M8 with 2 magazine that came with it. And I believed they also had the some sort of LEO marking on it as well. Too bad I didn't think that they would be so hard to find. Like an old saying "You snooze. you lose" I personally preferred the nickle finish one!!!!!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Illonois stae Police carried smith and wesson Auto loaders from 1967 until a couple of years ago,when they switched to Glock. Wilmington Ma was carrying P-7's,but have recently transitioned to another weapon. I think New Milford CT may still be issueing P-7 M8's

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought one of the N.J.S.P. P7M8's from a retiring Captain that I knew, but N.J.S.P. never placed markings their guns. Apparently certain Troopers were issued two and he kept one and sold the other to me for $500.00.

I recently spoke with another friend of mine, who's also a Trooper and he told me that when they transitioned they were not allowed to purchase the P7M8’s; they only had the option to purchase them upon retirement.

I wonder where those 4,000+ P7M8's ever wound up? Knowing the "un-gun friendly" State of New Jersey they were all probably melted down.

Hillary Clinton has also preemptively sealed the fate of the United States Park Police P7M13's...they will also be melted down or shredded.

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
P7 M8

Too Bad the politicians didn't know the quality of the HK pistol. If they would have know what kind of quality HK was. They probably would have keep at least some just for their bodyguards and personal use like Ted Kennedy !!!!!!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
The fate of the N.J.S.P. P7's is a bit of a mystery. A Trooper sarg and myself have been looking into this on and off for about two years now. We can't get a straight answer from anyone. We've been told they were melted, in a locker in Sea Girt, and a host of other nonsence. The bottom line is we'll never see them.

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The fate of the N.J.S.P. P7's is a bit of a mystery. A Trooper sarg and myself have been looking into this on and off for about two years now. We can't get a straight answer from anyone. We've been told they were melted, in a locker in Sea Girt, and a host of other nonsence. The bottom line is we'll never see them.

I had the chance to fire the P7 M8 and P7 M13 myself a while back. It's the perfect gas system that I ever seen on the pistol besides the Steyr GB. I mean it does not kick and the the grip is so ergonomically made that I think it's the most smooth firing system ever designed by HK besides the P9S. Too bad they are considered as relic in most of the PD's armory!!!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, if they don't want the guns making their way back onto the streets, Sea Girt (N.J.S.P. Academy / Armory) should disassemble them and sell the parts off to respectable H&K P7M8 owners. Open a little store of sorts. That would put a lot of extra inventory of parts: mags., extractors, firing pins, etc. into the hands of people that need them...maybe off-set the N.J. deficit a bit. I know they won’t but just a hopeful thought.

Hey bigdaddy, I’m your neighbor at “down the shore”, right over in Wall Township.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The guards at the Hanford Nuclear Facility in WA State use P7M13's. I guess that would be the DOE?

A few of them shoot IPSC with their P7 duty guns too. The guns are very worn and "well loved", but they won't give them up for anything.

And I don't blame them :)

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
P7 M8 as Standard Carry

The guards at the Hanford Nuclear Facility in WA State use P7M13's. I guess that would be the DOE?

A few of them shoot IPSC with their P7 duty guns too. The guns are very worn and "well loved", but they won't give them up for anything.

And I don't blame them :)

Does not surprise how they would treat their baby. Probably sleep with it as well!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
As an officer with the United States Park Police, I had to "give" up my P7M13 for a P2000. I just got the memorandum that my P7 had been sent to Springfield Armory and destroyed...shame shame shame.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Tactical Joe,

You're right the New Jersey State Police were carrying the H&K P7M8's up until a few years ago. The weapons were issued in 1983 and were just at the end of their service life. From what I understand from friends that work for that agency, although it has not been confirmed, the N.J.S.P. were so satisfied with the P7M8's that after H&K stopped producing them the N.J.S.P. approached H&K and requested that production be resumed to fill an order of 3,200 new P7M8's for the Troopers. H&K refused citing the huge financial costs of retooling a factory to fill that order. Again, this rumor has not been officially substantiated. They currently carry Sig P228's.

Illinois State Police also carried the P7M8’s around the same time frame that N.J.S.P. carried them.

From what I understand the United States Park Police currently carry P7M13 as standard issue, but again the service life of that weapon is also coming to an end and I believe they are also transitioning to Sigs.
Illinois
Illinois State Police (1921)
Issued the 9×19mm S&W Model 39 pistol in 1968-1988.
Issued the 9×19mm S&W Model 5904 pistol in 1988-1999.
Issues the 10×21mm (.40 S&W) Glock 22 pistol, 10×21mm (.40 S&W) Glock 23 pistol, and 10×21mm (.40 S&W) Glock 27 backup pistol from 1999.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The Hasbrouck Heights Police (located in Bergen County NJ)still carry the P7M8 for duty/off duty and might be changing to hk45 sometime this year.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts