HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your opinions regarding these 2 pistols. Basically, we are looking for a gun that can be used, carried, and still be a great collectors item. Of the 2 which would better fit this bill.

For a more specific comparison, would you go with a used but LNIB M8 w/ 4 mags for $800 or a Grade A PSP w/ 2 mags and holster for $700. From what I have seen both of these seem to be pretty good prices. Please share your thoughts on that as well. I'm not in any hurry so I can wait for one of those once in a lifetime deals that some others have found if this isn't it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
886 Posts
As mention before the PSP has a heel mag release, no heat shield and the trigger guard is smaller. Other than that they are the same.

Bill

·
Registered
39 Posts
The difference between the heel release is and the ambi release is that the heel one is less likely to get snagged. The P7M8 can snag but people have said that they can shoot both just as fast and reload the same too. So its your choice. the P7M8 would come with a piston scraper as well and the PSP would not since it was an older gun the scraper wasnt part of the package. Costs another $28.00 to buy one.

·
Registered
93 Posts
If those are actual prices and not just examples then the p7m8 is the better deal of the two. I have one and carry and love it. Def. one of my favorite pistols of all time. I dont have a psp but have shot them. the grip is a little more contoured and comfortable for me but a little bulkier for carry. In the end I will probably end up with a psp as well for a gun to carry in locations where I might accidentally trip the release on my M8,as the mag does shoot out like a rocket on the M8's.

just my .02cents

·
Registered
93 Posts
You'll get heated, albeit good natured, responses on either side of that question from members of the "Cult of the P7." Personally, I'm a "heeler." To paraphrase the immortal words of Alfonso Bedoyain in The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, "We 'heelers' don' need no stinkin' heat shields." ;)

If you have the opportunity, "test drive" each model and see which one works best for you. Either one will (as the saying goes) "do you proud."

·
Registered
77 Posts
P7?

What the hell's a P7 :confused: ?!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of the replies. I happened to give my local shop a call in the off chance they would have one I could check out. Much to my surprise they had 2 NIB P7M8s and one NIB P7PSP asking $1,500 and $1,100 respectively. I don't care about NIB atleast for the one I'm going to be using. Here is my initial assessment:

The PSP seemed to feel a little better in my hand. I don't know why but it just did. Overall, neither of them felt quite as nice as I thought they would. Is the cocking lever something you get used to or should I look to go another route. Based on the info. about them I think they are awesome pistols but am wondering if they are right for me. The fast mag. release isn't of concern for carry as I only have one mag. The idea of the heel mag. actually seems more appealing. The only reason I was considering an M8 is because they seem to have much higher resale and be more sought after for collector purposes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Finding mags for the P7PSP isnt too hard like one user said. They can be found right now at CDNN for a good price with $9.99 shipping regardless of quantity. They are both good guns. The New Jersey State Police have used them for many years. Just a different style that a regular browning type action semi-auto. You will get used to the squeeze cocking. Great thing is unlike some autos when you cock the hammer back , you have to hit the decocker button to put back down to double action condition. Where this gun if you dont want to shoot you just let go of the cocker and the gun will not fire. I read some stories with New Jersey troopers who had the P7M13s taken from them during fights and the perp would point it at the officer and pull the trigger and the gun would not fire, which saved the troopers life as the bad guy didnt know to squeeze the cocker in order to fire. It is all up to you. Lots of flavors so which one do you want ?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks for all of the replies. I happened to give my local shop a call in the off chance they would have one I could check out. Much to my surprise they had 2 NIB P7M8s and one NIB P7PSP asking $1,500 and $1,100 respectively. I don't care about NIB atleast for the one I'm going to be using. Here is my initial assessment:

The PSP seemed to feel a little better in my hand. I don't know why but it just did. Overall, neither of them felt quite as nice as I thought they would. Is the cocking lever something you get used to or should I look to go another route. Based on the info. about them I think they are awesome pistols but am wondering if they are right for me. The fast mag. release isn't of concern for carry as I only have one mag. The idea of the heel mag. actually seems more appealing. The only reason I was considering an M8 is because they seem to have much higher resale and be more sought after for collector purposes.
jtaliani:

Once you run a few rounds through a P7, the "squeeze cocking" mechanism will probably begin to feel completely natural to you. It did for this old 1911 adherent.

I would think that all three of those babies in your local shop are going to be snapped up rather quickly given the current market for NIB P7s. Since you report that the PSP felt a little better in your hand, here's a thought: Get the PSP, have Virgil Tripp give it a coat of Cobra Chrome, add some some walnut grips from Karl Nill, and you'll have a Heckler & Koch "insurance package" for essentially the same price as one of those NIB M8s. (I've posted this photo before, but here it is again.)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Richard,
It was that photo that inspired me to want a P7. I wasn't a huge fan of the way they look until I saw that, now I'm in love. The only thing I would do differently with mine is a matte instead of brushed finish on the flats. Beautiful pistol! :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
Richard,
It was that photo that inspired me to want a P7. I wasn't a huge fan of the way they look until I saw that, now I'm in love. The only thing I would do differently with mine is a matte instead of brushed finish on the flats. Beautiful pistol! :D
jtaliani:

If it's matte flats you want, just tell Virgil, and it's matte flats you'll get. He'll even remove that "beans-in-your-ears" warning from the underside of the trigger guard if you ask him. :cool:

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I have both, I like the PSP for carry it is a little smaller, and if I need more than 9 rounds of Federal BPLE it is a bad day, for a non LEO.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts