HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know many of you guys own a P7 of some kind. But how many of you actually carry one concealed? I ask not because they are not worthy, quite the contrary, I believe the design is safe and superior for the purpose. The P7 is, IMO, a remarkably engineered design and it is, truly, a shame the pistols are no longer manufactured. The reasons I ask are because of several factors which I shall list.

1.) Value of the weapon. As we all unfortunately know, the value of these pistols has gotten crazy and I see no end of it. I fear prices will go the way of the Colt Python. Now, one might say, I don't care what it's value is, what price my life? Or my loved ones? I get that, but perhaps the same protection might be afforded with a less expensive sidearm. If one is unfortunate enough to be involved in a shooting, rest assured your firearm will be confiscated. Perhaps, only temporarily. But during this this period, you can rest assured, those handling it will not be using the kid goves you do.

2.) Weight. I love steel, really I do, but it's heavy. Relatively speaking of course. And in a weight to capacity ratio, well, the P7M8 comes up a bit short using that metric.

3.) Conduct of arms. One of the greatest strengths of the P7 series is the cocking/de-cocking feature. However, it's uniqueness is just that, unique. Now, if all you own are P7's, you're golden. But if you have other style pistols, and train with them as well, your muscle memory is being diverted.

I love the P7 series, really I do. Just curious who really carries them versus other styles of handguns.

Ez

·
Registered
549 Posts
All good questions. I own a P7 along with a holster that I intended to carry it with. I would have ZERO qualms about carrying it from an ease of presentation and function perspective. You will find tons of folks on here that CCW the P7 everyday. Fact is- I have never used it for CCW. The value certainly plays a role in my mind. For me the USPc9 combines a larger capacity, bombproof design, and manual of arms I prefer. Interestingly enough, it is the one gun I own that my wife would actually carry (if I ever let her, which I won't). She loves the fact that if someone got the gun away from her they wouldn't know how to use it & that it is inherently one of the safest firearms ever due to the squeeze cock design.

·
Priest of the P7
5,037 Posts
I know many of you guys own a P7 of some kind. But how many of you actually carry one concealed? I ask not because they are not worthy, quite the contrary, I believe the design is safe and superior for the purpose. The P7 is, IMO, a remarkably engineered design and it is, truly, a shame the pistols are no longer manufactured. The reasons I ask are because of several factors which I shall list.

1.) Value of the weapon. As we all unfortunately know, the value of these pistols has gotten crazy and I see no end of it. I fear prices will go the way of the Colt Python. Now, one might say, I don't care what it's value is, what price my life? Or my loved ones? I get that, but perhaps the same protection might be afforded with a less expensive sidearm. If one is unfortunate enough to be involved in a shooting, rest assured your firearm will be confiscated. Perhaps, only temporarily. But during this this period, you can rest assured, those handling it will not be using the kid goves you do.

2.) Weight. I love steel, really I do, but it's heavy. Relatively speaking of course. And in a weight to capacity ratio, well, the P7M8 comes up a bit short using that metric.

3.) Conduct of arms. One of the greatest strengths of the P7 series is the cocking/de-cocking feature. However, it's uniqueness is just that, unique. Now, if all you own are P7's, you're golden. But if you have other style pistols, and train with them as well, your muscle memory is being diverted.

I love the P7 series, really I do. Just curious who really carries them versus other styles of handguns.

Ez

The P7 is not only the finest pistol ever produce, it is the king of conceal carry firearms for the reasons you listed and several more. It is a pistol designed to be safely carried and deployed instantly to win a gunfight. Re expense of the pistol -- you touched on that already. There is no object worth more than my life and certainly not more than those of my wife and kids. I'd lose one of my beloved M8s to the authorities to gain even a fractional advantage over another design. Period.

I don't find the weight to be an issue with a good belt and a good hoslter. My M8s carry better than the P2Ksk I carried before them because they are slimmer. I don't carry anything else now and actually don't shoot other pistols all that often besides suppressed HK45s and P30L that I'm not drawing from a holster so the manual of arms is a non-issue. Grabbing, squeezing, drawing becomes instinctive very quickly.

·
Registered
187 Posts

Ez
You have expressed some good discussion considerations. I had similar concerns many years ago until I fired one and shortly thereafter owned one......and then several more. They are fast and incredibly accurate. Think one ragged hole the size of a heart or eye socket at 10-15 yards rapid fire. In a self defense situation, the least of your worries is how the authorities may or may not treat your firearm. Buy more than one, get incredibly proficient with them and carry the least valuable P7M8 in your collection.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I bought one with the sole purpose of using it as my EDC, it is expensive, and I'd hate to lose it, but I like it too much to leave it in a safe all the time. I suppose I don't "train" all that much, but I've never had any difficulty switching between a 1911 and my P7. I can honestly say I've never noticed the weight or thought it heavy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I carried a P7M13 in a galco shoulder holster to Church a few times a week. It went great with my suit and I didn't have to worry about the "huggers".

·
Registered
10 Posts

Ez
1. Sure, It's more expensive than a CCW from glock, s&w, etc. But it's less than many nice 1911's from the likes of Wilson, Christensen, Les Baer. The value/ collectors part of it has an upside too. As long as you don't lose it, break it, or rust it, it'll be worth at least what you paid for it years down the road if for some crazy reason you wanted to sell it.

2. Can't argue with that logic, it does make it nicer to shoot/practice with though.

3. As far as the squeeze to cock mechanism: as long as you practice a firm grip with any/everything you shoot it's really not too different. If you're not gripping a 1911 commander as hard as you have to to fire the P7, you're going to have some problems there too. Also, if you stick with the M8, the mag release is pretty intuitive.

added bonus: I love how it kicks brass to almost the same place every time. I feel like that can be an overlooked perk for reloaders when picking a "keeper" gun.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I never should have read this thread. I carry a P30 because I like the ergos and they are super easy to clean. They are lighter than the 1911 I used to carry.
I have a NIB P7M8 I have never even shot. I am afraid if I started carrying one I would be back in the same boat. Carrying a heavy hard to clean gun.
If I ever get another P7M8 one of them will get shot but I don't know about carrying one.

·
Registered
71 Posts
On the other hand, the downside to reloaders is the extra wear and dirt on the brass from the spacious chamber and flutes.

Some other un-ordered thoughts:
-As for the different manual of arms, the squeeze-cocker pressure is no more than what's required to not limp-wrist most other guns. It's very easy to get used to. Going back to anything else is the hard part. "What, you mean you have a separate safety, slide-release, can't run it left-handed, and have a DA first pull?!"
-Yes it's more expensive than a Glock. Just like a BMW is more expensive than a Honda Civic but it'a a lot more fun to drive.
-The P7 isn't hard to clean, it just takes an 10% longer. I usually clean and reload while the TV's on as opposed to doing nothing while the TV's on so no problem. I do understand the gripe for non-multitaskers.
-The weight is still in the range of average, just on the high end of average since it's steel and not plastic. That weight serves a purpose though: it kicks like a mouse. I also have a Walther CCP and the P7 is considerably softer shooting and easier to keep on target. After getting my P7M8 the CCP is like the lame kid in class going "hey. hey. hey guys, look at me. guys why aren't you looking at me, I'm cool too. no really pay attention to me. come on guys, listen".
-I, also, have a P30, I agree that it just melts into your hand but comparing it to the P7 is apples and oranges.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts