HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
At least with regard to 1911's, there's a hot (and annoying) debate about whether snapcaps are needed for dryfire. (From what I can gather, the consensus seems to be that you don't need snapcaps to dryfire, but that you shouldn't slam the slide back on an empty chamber.)

I'm a dryfire fiend. Do I need snapcaps when dryfiring my PSP? Are there any other dryfire-related ways I could screw up the gun?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Not a big deal!

It's common knowledge that you should never slam a slide forward on an empty chamber. A 15 dollar investment is a small price to pay for a good night's sleep.

A-Zoom's are a prefered brand...

ARKAY

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
From what i hear, only 1911's (only some) should not be dry released. Something about the sear bouncing, and getting chipped.

Generally it wont cause any more wear or tear then firing the gun.

But I do agree, snap caps are useful. I do have them, and alwasy use them, if not for longevity, just to have something fly out when i rack the slide :p

·
Registered
8 Posts
you just spent probably close to 700 on this pistol if not more. why not go and spend another $3 on a snapcap? i always use them? why? because they are cheap enough to not be an issue.

·
Registered
33 Posts
if it was common knowledge...everyone would do it...I agree that it is cheap insurance though...
Bill

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, guys. Seems kinda debatable here, too, so I'll err on the safe side and get some A-zooms.

Another question while I'm at it: I can shoot +P's in a PSP, right? What about +P+'s? I didn't see anything in the FAQ's or manuals that addressed ammo pressure.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,922 Posts
I use snap caps when dry firing however, with the 1911 at least Wilson 1911s Bill Wilson himself says they are not needed. But with the money I have already spent on them especially my Wilsons' and HKs' I use them.

Just to add whenever I am dry firing I have more than one mag loaded with snapcaps. This way I also practice mag changes. Plus with something actually in them it is much more like the real thing.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
When I was a little guy, (long long time ago in a land far far away.lol) and I was just learning about weapons, my Father always harped about not firing an empy weapon. I don't know back then if they had snap caps.

I have just been taught not to dry fire. That is the only reason I use snap caps today.

As far as the ammo question you are asking about I am sure the P7's can handle the P+ ammo.

TJ

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't believe dry firing a P7 can damage it. On the other hand, I believe that releasing the slide on an empty chamber (frequently) may cause the welds holding the breech block in the slide to crack. I have seen cracks in the welds of three P7s, but I didn't speak with the owners, so I don't know what caused their failures. But knowing that those fine welds are in there makes me cautious about letting slides slam into battery or using +p+ rounds! And that's my two cents on the subject.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts