HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a P7 Euro-style with the heal mag release and no heat shield, I love it and take it to the range more than a few times a year. But, because of the lack of heat shield on my model I can only ever fire a few mags thru it before I have to let it cool down. This doesn't stop me from using it as my primary CCW, but I'm wondering how many more mags can go thru a M8 before it gets too hot? If it is a dramatic enough change, Ill probably start looking for an m8 for my next splurge purchase even.
Anybody here fired both in similar situations and could guestimate a difference? Sorry if this has been covered before and Thanks!

·
Priest of the P7
5,037 Posts
I haven't shot a standard P7 but I've heard there is little difference.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
From what I would recall after 4 mags it was pretty hot and I would let it cool while I reload or shoot something else and I carried one of those keyboard dust blowers in my range bag and would use that for cool air to get it cooler faster

Wish I didnt sell it and could give you a better answer rather than a recollection :(
Soon enough I'll find one at a good price!

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
I haven't shot a standard P7 but I've heard there is little difference.
I've had both and it is essentially the same after you have dumped 3+ mags at the gun range.

But I didn't get the P7M8 for the heat shield anyway.....I just liked didn't like the heel release on the P7.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I also don't notice one bit of difference. I'm coming to realize that I actually prefer the classic P7 to the M8, it just feels more sleek, but if the heat shield was effective I might change my mind.

The biggest epiphany I've had with P7s and heat is to remove the slide when you're letting the gun cool. It cools down so much faster with airflow in the gas cylinder. .

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
I had the same heat issue after 3-4 mags. It became a little too hot to touch and I had to pause or switch to another gun while waiting for it to cool down. I have not shot an M8 and am looking forward to owning one soon.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I've always wanted a P7M8 or a P7M13... but then a friend bought a P7 PSP, and I hated it. He shot 5 mags or so through it before "handing" it to me. I damn near dropped the gun. It made for the 2nd worst shooting experience I've ever had... second only to shooting a NYPD cop's crappy ass Glock with the NY trigger weight.

I really do appreciate the design though... maybe if I can find one at a decent price just for collecting.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Well, if wanting a person to experience the P7 remotely properly, you don't hand them one that has just had 5 mags through it.

I don't own P7's now but when I did, I owned two so at the range, one could cool while I was shooting the other.

The gun is that good, that it's worth doing this.

If wanting to shoot large volumes of ammunition fast through one gun, then the P7 is not suitable for that task. It's brilliant when not needing to do that, and people don't always need to do that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, if wanting a person to experience the P7 remotely properly, you don't hand them one that has just had 5 mags through it.

I don't own P7's now but when I did, I owned two so at the range, one could cool while I was shooting the other.

The gun is that good, that it's worth doing this.

If wanting to shoot large volumes of ammunition fast through one gun, then the P7 is not suitable for that task. It's brilliant when not needing to do that, and people don't always need to do that.
I agree completely. Heating up isn't a deal breaker for it being a great gun. I only ever carry 1 spare mag when CCing so not an issue there either. Just wondered if the M8's heat shield made a dramatic enough difference that I may be able to shoot 6-10mags opposed to 3-4 at the range. Sounds like that's a no.

·
Premium Member
704 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dunking a P7 in cold water makes me cringe just thinking about it! My P7psp with the heal mag release did get hot after a few mags but like another person mentioned it's not what I would want to bring to the range to put a few hundred rounds through.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I agree completely. Heating up isn't a deal breaker for it being a great gun. I only ever carry 1 spare mag when CCing so not an issue there either. Just wondered if the M8's heat shield made a dramatic enough difference that I may be able to shoot 6-10mags opposed to 3-4 at the range. Sounds like that's a no.
The shield is of little value on the m8, since much of the heat comes from the gaps between the trigger and frame.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
The heat shield doesn't change the amount of heat but it does slow down the transmission of the heat a little since it's less conductive. If you do dump enough ammo fast enough to get the metal hot enough to burn on contact, the plastic keeps you from burning your finger from an incidental touch to the plastic. As mentioned, there's still a lot of heat radiated from around the heat shield.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
One box of 50 rounds per range trip. That's it for me.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I would have to agree. After 50-60 rounds, there is so much heat coming from around the trigger, it becomes uncomfortable to continue.
Had four, down to three, not my favorite platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts