HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question to the experts:

My local gun shop has a P7 for sale. It appears to be in excellent condition, and the price is $1k, but the squeeze cocker is quite stiff--it works, but requires more pressure than other P7's I have handled. Is this likely to be just a lubrication issue, or can this symptom indicate that a more serious problem might be lurking?

Thanks for your advice.

wmssims

·
Super Moderator
4,379 Posts
That weapon just needs to be shot--it's likely not seen many (any?) rounds. As you shoot it a good bit, I've found that squeeze effort lessons somewhat.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I'd be wary if it doesn't operate properly. Ask if you can remove the grip panels and inspect the action. May be a simple explaination...may not.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
It sounds like it is just new. I bought a NIB P7M8 and the decocker was pretty stiff compared to my usual shooter P7 with thousands of rounds through her. After a couple rounds it was starting to loose up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gentlemen:

Thanks very much for your advice. I took ripley16's advice and went over the P7 carefully with the gun shop owner, who also is a talented 'smith and former champion bullseye shooter. With the slide off, the cocker was not unusually stiff. The P7 was being sold on consignment by an older fellow who collected, but did not shoot (!?!), and seems to be disposing of his collection, or parts of it. I previously bought his USPf in .40 (early model, with rifled barrel, also new or near new, good price, shoots great). The P7 bears a date code of ID (1983), if I'm not mistaken, and comes in its original cardboard box, with a small, unused brush but no manual. It does appear to be unfired or barely fired. The 'smith's advice was the same as yours, diesel1959 and Mark71.

So I bought the gun for $1k. In ten days, I'll clean, lubricate and run an s'load of ammo through it. A risk-free life is hardly worth living.

Thanks again for your advice. If I call HK, are they likely to be willing to mail me a manual, in your experience?

wmssims

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Gentlemen:

Thanks again for your advice. If I call HK, are they likely to be willing to mail me a manual, in your experience?

wmssims
Yes it shouldn't be a problem. Give HK a call or send them an email. There customer service is top notch.

Heres a PDF version to hold you over until you get a hard copy :D
http://www.hkp7.com/PDF/p7-manual.pdf

·
Registered
596 Posts
Gentlemen:
So I bought the gun for $1k. In ten days, I'll clean, lubricate and run an s'load of ammo through it. A risk-free life is hardly worth living.
wmssims

Remember to take a second gun with you to the range. The P7 does get hot after a box or two and needs a cool down. Happy shooting, these are great guns.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice. I always take a few with me to the range, usually a couple of semi-autos and a couple of revolvers. I know that's not too smart in terms of perfecting my shooting, but I've been shooting for 30 years and my bad shooting habits are pretty well ingrained by now, so I kissed off perfection a long time ago. The only thing that's changing now is my vision.

Quick question: is it OK to fire +P ammunition in the P7, understanding that it will make the heat problem worse more quickly?

wmssims

·
Registered
886 Posts
Your P7 will handle +P ammo no problem. Enjoy your P7, it's a great CCW, or combat pistol and is very accurate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts