HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just switched from a USP Expert for IDPA/ USPSA (which was running just fine) to a P7M13 for the faster reloads and lower bore axis. I thought it would be fun to be different. You know, the HK addiction and all.

Took it out for a few days to practice with no problems over about 450 rounds. Today, I went to shoot my first match with it - a local USPSA - and had many malfunctions. The gun ran fine on the first stage with no problems. However, the stage 2 through 5 were a malfunction rodeo.

I had a specific type of malfunction. I would squeeze the cocker, and pull the trigger. The gun would fire, but when I would pull the trigger again, nothing happened. At this point, I would physically have to release the squeeze mechanism and resqueeze it. It would then fire. Sometimes this would happen several rounds in a row, then the gun would run fine for about 5-10 rounds and the problem would happen again.
I was not accidentally releasing the squeeze cocker in between shots as myself and a SO went to an empty side bay and verified this problem was not a shooter induced malfunction in a function test.

The ground was very sandy - the fine powder sand. When you dropped a mag, it got sand in it and on it. I wiped down the mags as best as I could and blew them out. Finally, I started breaking every mag down in between every stage and brushing them out, cleaning the followers etc. That did not resolve the issues. Maybe these were sand issues. However, I have shot here before and had no issues with other guns. Also, this is where I tuned up for a few days with this very same gun, dropping mags the same, and no issues during practice.

My first thought was that the small amount of residual sand left on the magazine after it was dropped, picked up, wiped off, and reloaded was the culprit. However, this sand on the mag was the same during practice a few days prior with no problems.

Also, The gun was clean. The gas cylinder was scraped and brushed the night prior to the match, so I dont believe it was dirty. Also, as stated earlier, I ran the full first stage, as well as a full mag through the gun upon arrival to the range with no issues whatsoever.

Does anyone have any idea what is causing this. Maybe the ammo? Factory loads - Monarch 115g. FMJ - Brass. I am beginning to strongly suspect this. Are these guns that finicky?? We are talking about a very small amount of powder sand. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
33 Posts
sounds like a catch spring problem.I think . Let me do more research when I go home .I will post later.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Your firing pin return spring is weak. I have had this problem with P7's before. A quick fix is to dissassemble the firing pin and stretch out the return spring a bit. Replacing the spring is ideal. It has nothing to do with the magazine or sand.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your firing pin return spring is weak. I have had this problem with P7's before. A quick fix is to dissassemble the firing pin and stretch out the return spring a bit. Replacing the spring is ideal. It has nothing to do with the magazine or sand.
Big Dave S,
Thanks, I will give that a try.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts