HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used P7M8. I've been wanting to take the plunge for years. Found one I couldn't pass up. Consignment sale from an estate. Dirty, with holster wear, but otherwise seems in perfectly functional condition. Cleaned it up a lot at it looks much better. I intend to refinish it, get some Nill grips, a great leather holster from Ryan Grizzle, and keep it as a shooter.

Date code is IE. Serial is 858xx. All numbers match, with box.

What confuses me is that it says "Made in Germany" not "Made in W Germany".

I've read so much on the internet about P7M8 pistols and it seems like the preponderance of evidence says that prior to the early 90s, HKs said "Made in W Germany".

I know I have seen serial numbers around 87xxx that say "W Germany". I *think* I have seen s/n lower than mine that say "W Germany".

Why does mine say "Made in Germany"?

Best to all.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't have an answer to your question, though I'm certain other posters will. Just want to ask if we can see some pics -- not just of this particular roll mark, but of the gun in general.

Congrats on your first P7 family member! They can be habit-forming.

(Edit: Never mind. I see you have even fewer posts than me, so I don't think you can post pics yet.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah. 3 posts in 11 years as a member. I guess you can say that I read a lot and don't say much.

I'd appreciate any help with this mystery (at least to me).

Best.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Without seeing some pictures, it’s hard to say. My first guess is that the slide is not original to the gun. It could have been sent back to HK for repair in the mid to late 90’s after it changed to “made in Germany”. Hk would re-serial a new slide if the original one could not be repaired. The pistol would then be reproofed and a “J” stamp would be stamped instead of the typical “N”.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your reply, Brobus. I have "N" proof marks on both the frame and slide.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Thanks for your reply, Brobus. I have "N" proof marks on both the frame and slide.

Thank you for the pics. The reason why it says “made in Germany” instead of W Germany is because that is a very early P7M8. It has the same markings as the ID (1983) P7M8s. Very few IE (1984) P7M8s have those markings. Notice how the “Chantilly VA” and the “P7M8” on the top slide are pushed forward almost to the end of the slide. The later ones were back further and had “W Germany” until the mid 90s. I also like how the “N” or nitro proof marks are in a straight line unlike some of the others.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the interesting info, Brobus! I read somewhere in another thread that you knew your way around the P7 family. Evidently, you do. Any reason why I should keep this one unmodified (no refinishing, etc.)? Since it is used (looks like it was carried more than fired), my gut says it's value to me is more as a shooter than as a collector's item. I will, of course, be adding more to the collection, I think.

Thanks again, Brobus, and to all for taking the time to read.

Cheers.

·
Registered
34,569 Posts
I believe that the Chantilly and Sterling imports will have "MADE IN W-GERMANY"!!! :wink:

Tony

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe that the Chantilly and Sterling imports will have "MADE IN W-GERMANY"!!! :wink:

Tony
Thanks, AGG. You restated my problem. You see, mine is a Chantilly import, made in 1984 (IE date code), but with "Made in Germany" with no "W". That was exactly what was confusing to me. Brobus answered why in his post above. Cheers and thanks for reading.

·
Registered
34,569 Posts
Thanks, AGG. You restated my problem. You see, mine is a Chantilly import, made in 1984 (IE date code), but with "Made in Germany" with no "W". That was exactly what was confusing to me. Brobus answered why in his post above. Cheers and thanks for reading.
Correct--- should have stated "later" Chantilly imports!!! :biggrin:
@Brobus is the P7 expert. :wink:

·
Registered
53 Posts

Thank you for the pics. The reason why it says “made in Germany” instead of W Germany is because that is a very early P7M8. It has the same markings as the ID (1983) P7M8s. Very few IE (1984) P7M8s have those markings. Notice how the “Chantilly VA” and the “P7M8” on the top slide are pushed forward almost to the end of the slide. The later ones were back further and had “W Germany” until the mid 90s. I also like how the “N” or nitro proof marks are in a straight line unlike some of the others.
Very cool! Now I know who to ask if I have any uncommon P7 questions down the line.

By the way, what was the first year of P7M13 production? I’ve seen conflicting info online. Any idea of how many were produced that year?

·
Registered
727 Posts
I have a 1984 P7M8 with an lower serial # (842xx) than the OP's but it says "W GERMANY"

Keep in mind that the M series was started for for the American market. There are two different serial ranges, American and European. If that’s not confusing enough, some of the European pistols have Chantilly and Sterling import marks. It basically bikes down to what parts were available that day and there are some small variations between certain parts. The first year of the M13 was IE (1984) with serial 71101. The serial range was later split on that model.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The first year of the M13 was IE (1984) with serial 71101. The serial range was later split on that model.
Thanks! I had previously thought IE was the first year of the M8 as well. I think I’ve seen them (incorrectly) advertised that way on GB, but I could just be thinking of M13s.

·
Registered
34,569 Posts
I have a 1984 P7M8 with an lower serial # (842xx) than the OP's but it says "W GERMANY"
Did a little research (will be added to the data going forward)--- it appears that the 1984 (IE) P7M8's could have "MADE IN GERMANY" or "MADE IN W-GERMANY"--- they are interspersed during this year!!! :biggrin:

Tony

1 - 19 of 19 Posts