HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to purchase a used German police trade in P7PSP for nearly $700. I have always wanted a P7 but the price has keep me from one. So here I am on the fence and could really use your help.

Is the gun worth this price?

What are the problems I should be aware of with this Gun?

What are its strong points?

Is there function problems with this gun?

Are there questions that I did not know to ask that I should have?

Thanks for your help R S

·
Registered
325 Posts
holy hell.

$700? well I guess it depends on the wear and tear and stuff. But new P7's don't tend to go for less than $1300 from what I've seen. After that, if you find mags for less than $60, buy as many as possible. They're very expensive.

I figure as long as you don't abuse it, the value can only go up.

·
Registered
45 Posts
CDNN has nice one's for $599 and excellent one's for $679. They also don't have the grinding-wheel mark over the BMI marking. Mags are $39 for nice used one's and $45 for new. All the guns are like new on the inside.

The German police trades are P7's, not PSP's.

There are absolutely no flaws with the P7. It is handgun perfection. They make novice shooters look good and expert shooters even better. The worst thing you can say about the pistol is that after repeated firing of several mags, the frame below the barrel gets hot.

if you want to buy local, look at the white paper HK label on the box- it will tell you if it's a grade A or grade B. $700 isn't a bad gunstore price for an A, factoring in shipping and a transfer fee. It's about $70 high for a B. The previous BMI trade-ins have either a subtle horizontal line thru the BMI marking or the mark is completely ground out with a wheel.

·
Registered
325 Posts
CDNN has nice one's for $599 and excellent one's for $679. They also don't have the grinding-wheel mark over the BMI marking. Mags are $39 for nice used one's and $45 for new. All the guns are like new on the inside.

The German police trades are P7's, not PSP's.

There are absolutely no flaws with the P7. It is handgun perfection. They make novice shooters look good and expert shooters even better. The worst thing you can say about the pistol is that after repeated firing of several mags, the frame below the barrel gets hot.

if you want to buy local, look at the white paper HK label on the box- it will tell you if it's a grade A or grade B. $700 isn't a bad gunstore price for an A, factoring in shipping and a transfer fee. It's about $70 high for a B. The previous BMI trade-ins have either a subtle horizontal line thru the BMI marking or the mark is completely ground out with a wheel.
I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but p7's haven't been showing on my cdnn searches recently. is it cuz I'm not an ffl holder?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but p7's haven't been showing on my cdnn searches recently. is it cuz I'm not an ffl holder?
Yes only FFL holders can now search for guns on their site. You need to give them a call or ask them to mail you a current catalog.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
You can always download a catalog. I just got the 2007-6 edition today so it should be on the web site also for download.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
P 7 purchase

How does the fluted chamber affect the reloadability of brass fired in a P 7???

R S

·
Registered
39 Posts
$700.00 DOLLARS IS NOT TO BAD OF A PRICE FOR A P7 WENT TO THE BIG GUN SHOW LAST SUNDAY AND THE P7 PISTOLS WHERE OUT OF SIGHT IF YOU COULD FIND ONE. I HAVE ONE AND I LOVE IT SO IF YOU GOT THE EXTRA CASH BUY IT IF ITS IN GOOD SHAPE YOU WONT REGREAT IT AT ALL.

·
Registered
45 Posts
$700.00 DOLLARS IS NOT TO BAD OF A PRICE FOR A P7 WENT TO THE BIG GUN SHOW LAST SUNDAY AND THE P7 PISTOLS WHERE OUT OF SIGHT IF YOU COULD FIND ONE. I HAVE ONE AND I LOVE IT SO IF YOU GOT THE EXTRA CASH BUY IT IF ITS IN GOOD SHAPE YOU WONT REGREAT IT AT ALL.
The M8's are up there and the M13's have gone nuts. Forget the M10. P7's are all going to be in the $600 to $700 range right now because of all these BMI guns flooding the market. That doesn't mean some dealer isn't going to have some big number on one at a show waiting for some less-informed guy to stumble by.

·
Registered
45 Posts
How does the fluted chamber affect the reloadability of brass fired in a P 7???

R S
No effect if you're resizing properly. The flutes allow the brass to release from the chamber while there's still some pressure in there. It's more cosmetic than anything.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,921 Posts
I keep debating on getting one. I had a P7M8 and didn't like it so I am wondering if I should just leave well enough alone and skip getting one. But I would like to have one in my collection. :8:

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I keep debating on getting one. I had a P7M8 and didn't like it so I am wondering if I should just leave well enough alone and skip getting one. But I would like to have one in my collection. :8:
Definitely get one! If you have room in the collection for a VP70 you have room for a P7 :20000000:.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,921 Posts
Definitely get one! If you have room in the collection for a VP70 you have room for a P7 :20000000:.
I did put one in layaway at the local funstore today thanks for answering the questions about it.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I did put one in layaway at the local funstore today thanks for answering the questions about it.
No problem. Let us know how you like it once you pick it up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Follow up on P7 purchase

Well I took the members advice and purchased a P7 form CDNN. I paid the premium for a new to excellent gun. The gun came in original box with manual and gas cleaning brush.

The P7 was unfired. The only indication that it was used was the grip screws which showed removal with a poorly fitting screw driver.

I have always been impressed with close tolerance machining and innovative design. The P7 is a work of art with respect to these items.

I field striped the gun to clean and check for any safety items and noticed the barrel crown was very irregular. It was not damaged just machined this way. I found this to be troubling as the rest of the gun showed great attendition to detail.

At the range three problems were uncovered. Worst was the gun seizes up into the third mag. At 10 yards in was not possible to place all rounds in a 5 inch circle and last; the recoil was very sharp for an 9 mm. This seamed to be caused by the slide slamming into the frame.

The slide lock-up was caused by a burr just inside the chamber which dug into the casing. I have removed this burr with a hard stone and will take the P7 back to the range hopefully this week. I plan to take four samplings of factory 9 mm ammo and a good rest to see if the gun is ammo sensitive.

I like to work on one problem at a time so the heavy recoil is on the back burner for now.

I would greatly appreciate your suggestions and thoughts concerning these problems. Thanks to everyone for your help. R S

1 - 20 of 20 Posts