HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a P9S that has never had the buffer replaced.

bought a new one, and when i went to put it in, found the buffer housing was cracked.
got a brand new buffer housing (old stock hk), so good to go.

put the buffer in the new housing, went to put it back in the receiver, and.....i cant get the pieces to fit. the buffer needs to be compressed a bit.

tried pushing it with my thumb, tried using a piece of plastic to put leverage on the part that hits the barrel
then tried using a c clamp to just force it in, but got wary when it wasnt moving and didnt want to crack the plastic frame cover.

any suggestions on how to do this correctly? i did a bunch of searches, and other than the posts that say use a vice or c clamp, but not describe how, or the other type that say they cut a bit off the buffer so that it would fit better, im at a loss.

thanks for any help, i just dont want to break it in a new way...

if there was a local gunsmith i would let them do it, but im in los gatos (northern california) and dont know anyone up here who works on these older guns.

mark

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Hi Mark,

You may want to try Eric over at US Firearms in Sunnyvale. We changed the buffers on both of my P9S's (9mm and .45)recently. You don't need to cut it, and I agree with the thought that it is that size for a reason, and you wouldn't want to stress and/or crack the frame on such a rare pistol.

That being said, it's not easy, and I seem to recall some profanity when trying to line up the angled retaining screws. One caliber was much easier than the other, but I can't remember which, as we did both on the same day. If nothing else, he may have some suggestions to shorten your learning curve.

Good luck, and let me know if there is anything I can do to help. I have a few extras if you damage any of your buffers along the way. I'm in Sunnyvale.

J

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Send a PM to James (Marine0303), he has a vendor page as well, Teufelshund Tactical, he will do it for you.

·
Maximum effort
843 Posts
Remember that one end of the buffer is angled, and the angle needs to line up correctly when the housing is installed.

It is kind of a 3-handed job sometimes to compress the buffer a little, while lining up the screws and tightening them.

You should have gotten a P7... :wink:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Remember that one end of the buffer is angled, and the angle needs to line up correctly when the housing is installed.

It is kind of a 3-handed job sometimes to compress the buffer a little, while lining up the screws and tightening them.

:
i had read about the angle, but....didnt see it on the buffer i got. and the buffer was still in the bag from hk, so i know it wasnt a fake/aftermarket one.
maybe i just didnt know what i was looking for and that would explain why it just wont fit

any suggestions on how to remove it from the housing to start over? without destroying it..

and anyone have picture showing the angle part so i know what im looking for?

·
Maximum effort
843 Posts
It probably doesn't make that much of a difference.

You can surely seat the buffer even if it is in the housing backwards or upside down. I have just always minded the angle, so to speak, and have never had much issue.

You can see the angle on the right side of the buffer pictured, versus the straight, left side.

·
Maximum effort
843 Posts
As to getting it out, just tap it firmly at an angle, opening down, on a hard surface. The buffer will come out.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As to getting it out, just tap it firmly at an angle, opening down, on a hard surface. The buffer will come out.
tried that, it just wont come out no matter how many times i do it. wasnt that hard to install, but i guess its stuck.

and this pic shows how far it needs to move, way more than i can compress it...

Finger Hand Thumb Nail Knife

·
Registered
187 Posts
Do not cut the buffer, you will decrease its ability to absorb the recoil pulse and potentially damage the buffer housing and frame! Make sure the buffer is oriented properly. The flat end goes in the closed end of the buffer housing, towards the muzzle. The sloped end goes towards the open end of the buffer housing. It should be oriented to "ramp up", with the longer end on the bottom and the shorter end on top.

i have a P9S that has never had the buffer replaced.

bought a new one, and when i went to put it in, found the buffer housing was cracked.
got a brand new buffer housing (old stock hk), so good to go.

put the buffer in the new housing, went to put it back in the receiver, and.....i cant get the pieces to fit. the buffer needs to be compressed a bit.

tried pushing it with my thumb, tried using a piece of plastic to put leverage on the part that hits the barrel
then tried using a c clamp to just force it in, but got wary when it wasnt moving and didnt want to crack the plastic frame cover.

any suggestions on how to do this correctly? i did a bunch of searches, and other than the posts that say use a vice or c clamp, but not describe how, or the other type that say they cut a bit off the buffer so that it would fit better, im at a loss.

thanks for any help, i just dont want to break it in a new way...

if there was a local gunsmith i would let them do it, but im in los gatos (northern california) and dont know anyone up here who works on these older guns.

mark

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The sloped end goes towards the open end of the buffer housing. It should be oriented to "ramp up", with the longer end on the bottom and the shorter end on top.
looks like i have it incorrectly installed. the flat side is facing out, didnt really see much difference between the two sides

but i cant get the darn thing out to check/flip it around.

:(

·
Registered
100 Posts
take a sawing needle or something similar and stick into the buffer at an angle a tiny bit then try to pull out the buffer that way.
Worked for me when I needed to get it out.
Good Luck

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Make your life simple and the gun operate properly, send it to Marine0303 (James) @ Teufelshund Tactical

He is a trained professional and a really great guy that will turn the repair quickly.
i sent him a pm earlier, havent heard back yet but its the weekend

havent sent a gun out for repair in over 30 years, cant wait to see what overnight fedex costs

·
Registered
187 Posts
i sent him a pm earlier, havent heard back yet but its the weekend

havent sent a gun out for repair in over 30 years, cant wait to see what overnight fedex costs
Go to James' website and use the contact option. The email will go to his smartphone. He is one of a handful of Certified HK Master Armorers in the US and an active Marine Corps officer. Super high integrity and meticulous workmanship. He specializes in P9 and P7 series pistols. A complete disassembly, cleaning, inspection and reassembly is done in 2 hours and the turn around is a few days. He is well stocked with parts in the event something needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Go to James' website and use the contact option. The email will go to his smartphone. He is one of a handful of Certified HK Master Armorers in the US and an active Marine Corps officer. Super high integrity and meticulous workmanship. He specializes in P9 and P7 series pistols. A complete disassembly, cleaning, inspection and reassembly is done in 2 hours and the turn around is a few days. He is well stocked with parts in the event something needs to be replaced.
thats what im going to do. thanks everyone for the help.

What put me over the edge:

i went to the local gunsmith who had experience in P9S. he was out, but his replacement was an "expert".
asked me why i didnt have the slide - "because this isnt a slide issue?"
asked why i had screwed the buffer support piece back in - "because the parts cant get lost that way, and if lost they are impossible to find"
so he said...."Dont worry, they are just metric screws, the local hardware store carries them."

i post this for both the humor content as well as the absolute horror i felt when he said that. Nothing much scares me in real life, but this did.....

off to James it is.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The old buffer (circa 1976) is on top; the new buffer is on the bottom.

Best Regards,
so from the pics he posted on that thread there doesnt seem to be an angle cut on the new buffer, is that right? or is it just an optical illusion...

·
Registered
187 Posts
so from the pics he posted on that thread there doesnt seem to be an angle cut on the new buffer, is that right? or is it just an optical illusion...
There is an angle cut on one end of the new buffers, it is just not showing in that photo.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts