HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. So, my patience finally paid off and i ran across a deal on a P9S in .45 that i just couldn't pass up. A little background on the pistol and it's owners. I bought the gun from a young man who said it was his grandfather's pistol and that he inherited the pistol and just put it in the safe and never fired it. His grandfather was a competition 1911 shooter back in the day and actually won this pistol in the early eighties at some pistol match. I have no idea what year this pistol was manufactured. Any help or insight from you experts out there would be greatly appreciated. I ordered a new buffer to install as the one in there is at least 30 years old. So now for the interesting part....

From my research, this should be a DAO pistol but when I got the gun, I noticed the trigger was not resting where I'd expect a DAO trigger to rest. It was much farther back where it would rest for a single action pull. Upon examination, I immediately recognized some gunsmith work had been done in the the trigger housing. A pin had been place in the trigger housing to physically block the trigger from returning to its natural double action resting place. This pin was place just beyond the trigger reset position so in essence turning the trigger into a SAO. The gun function checks as a SAO gun would and the trigger pull feels like a 1911. So it would seem this competition 1911 shooting grandpa wanted his P9S to feel more like the 1911s he'd been used to.

I have not fired the gun yet but I plan to once the new buffer is installed. Should I have a local gunsmith look this thing over and give it a safety check or should it be fine? Like I said, it function checks just fine and dry fires normally, just single action. Please weigh in with your thoughts and comments. Did the trigger mod destroy the value of this gun? Pics coming...

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,336 Posts
I doubt you will find a "local gunsmith" with any skill on the P9S. As far as I know I am the only HK Certified Armorer still working on P9S pistols, and I do so often.
Although photos are always more helpful then text, I have seen what you are describing before. In that instance, the "gunsmith", and I use that term lightly, who performed such work, also did some other questionable things to the gun that only a complete disassembly and inspection could reveal.
If you'd like my support, my contact information is below.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Devil Dog Tactical. I like it! Thanks for the reply. Pics are posted and you will see what I'm talking about. Also forgot to mention the addition of a trigger stop protruding out in the trigger housing.

Are you in Jacksonville, NC? I'm in Wilmington. Maybe we could meet and you could check it out for me? If so, PM me.

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
Some P9S pistols come with the adjustable trigger stop as standard. My P9S Target has it. You should be able to loosen it and rotate it down into the trigger guard so it's out of the way. I don't use mine.

·
Maximum effort
816 Posts
The P9S is a SA/DA pistol. It has a very nice SA break, and a long, fairly poor DA.

Your gun has definitely been screwed with.

It looks like the plastic insert that goes above the trigger has been cut and melted into the trigger guard to stop the full travel of the trigger. Hopefully that is the extent of the Bubba-izing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I'm sure that mod hurt the value of the gun but I don't care. As long as it's safe and shoots well, it will be a keeper. Now if I can just find an IWB holster. Then again, if it is not safe and doesn't shoot well, it will still be a keeper as I won't have much luck selling it.

·
Maximum effort
816 Posts

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
If it's only the trigger guard that's been messed with, you can get a replacement fairly inexpensive - it's only a plastic part screwed (and clicked) to the frame. Even if the "bubba-block" is welded/tacked to the grip-frame, it might be removed rather easily and the remaining marks on the frame covered with a new / used trigger guard.
But all in all, I suggest letting Marine0303 have a look at it - his reputation is awesome (from what I read - no personal experience myself, too far away).
Good thing about a P9 or P9S: you can always cock it with the thumb lever to get the crisp SA pull. For carry I might recommend the safety lever - locks the firing pin and moves it out of the way of the hammer.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have only had to replace the trigger bar on my P9S 9mm. The "hook" broke on it.

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Like some of the other posts recommend, send it to Marine 0303. I have a p9s in 9mm. Mine was in immaculate shape, but I still sent it to Marine 0303. It got a clean bill of health. He has also worked on one of my p7 pistols, I highly recommend you send it to him, as it is such a great firearm and some who claim to know a lot, know little at all. SEND IT TO MARINE 0303!!!

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
Real nice P9S! Congrats!

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bumping for holster question. So has anyone found holsters out there that are specifically for the P9S? I'm interested in IWB. I've contacted Crossbreed, Alien Gear and N82Tactical and they don't make a specific holster. N82Tactical did say that their HK45 holster would accommodate the P9S but I have my doubts. Guess I could always order one and return it if I didn't like it.
https://n82tactical.com/product/original-tuckable-full-size/

·
Registered
330 Posts
Bumping for holster question. So has anyone found holsters out there that are specifically for the P9S? I'm interested in IWB. I've contacted Crossbreed, Alien Gear and N82Tactical and they don't make a specific holster. N82Tactical did say that their HK45 holster would accommodate the P9S but I have my doubts. Guess I could always order one and return it if I didn't like it.
https://n82tactical.com/product/original-tuckable-full-size/
I used to have a leather Bianchi OWB holster that was specifically made for the P9S. I also had a DiSantis shoulder holster that held two mags on the opposite side. If you do not see those online, I might be able to point you to the dealer who has them. They are local to me and would probably be willing to ship. I know they do online sales.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts