HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all the members out there that currently have or have had a P9s, which caliber would you recommend? I had the opportunity to purchase one in .45, but did not want to make the purchase until after finding out if one is more desirable as a "shooter" than the other. It's obvious that the .45 version is much more rare and demands a higher price, but is the 9mm a better chambering for this platform?

Since it would mostly be used as a range gun, the 9mm is tempting for cost considerations, but I already have a few nice 9's, so let me know what you guys think!

Thanks.

·
2,832 Posts
I have both 9mm and 45, I love the 45.....but much prefer the 9mm for all around fun, so much so I now have 3 of the 9mm combats :) I also think the recent 9mm combat imports are a bargin(priced currently for about what they last sold new in 1986 for) and will do nothing but go up in the near future.

I also think the P9s was designed for the 9mm, the 45 was an attempt to get some more sales in the US.

rare......the 45's hands down, the combat 45's seem to be less in # than the targets.

in short I would get the 9mm for a shooter........ah heck.......I'd get em all :D

also, maybe its just me, but I am a better shot with my 9mm combat than my 45 target.....the triggers on both are awsome

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Landpimp,

CZ-75 has mentioned that the P9S is his favorite, even more so than the P7. Since I have never had the opportunity to shoot the P9S, would you agree with CZ? Is the recoil management system that great? Believe it or not, I had the chance to purchase that P9S for around $1,000 in .45, and feel dumb I did not jump on it.

Is it safe to say that the 9mm version is more compact? It appears that if you could only have one version, you would get the 9mm due to it being the original version for the pistol. I tend to agree in purchasing a platform that was created for a specific round, and not a "beefed up" version. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
485 Posts
My vote is for the P9S .45 ACP. Not only is it more rare, it's also a very enjoyable gun to shoot.The P9S platform may have been originally intended for the 9mm, but the P9S .45 is one of the best combat pistols of all time. HK missed the boat on not marketing this excellent pistol to the American market more than it did. Since you already own several 9's, I say treat yourself to an excellent shooter in .45 caliber.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Piebiter, That's the way I was leaning, but man is there a huge price difference. I guess I'm just wondering if the .45 is that much more enjoyable as a range gun compared to the 9mm.

Funny thing is, I could actually see myself carrying the P9S. For that reason alone, I'm leaning towards the .45 since I have the P7M8 for a 9mm carry piece. The only things that concern me carrying this weapon for CCW is that there is very little for leather holsters out there. And unlike the P7 (which looks very cool in HC), I would not want to refinish the P9S since it looks perfect in its original finish (which I assume is blueing).

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Easy, the .45. Why, because it is a .45. No others need apply. ;)

·
2,832 Posts
I would agree, the P9s is my favorite HK, I have 4(or 5) P7's I like them alot but not as much as the P9s.

Last weekend i was shootin next to(1 on each side of me) a pair of "pro's" with 2K+ 1911's(45 and 9mm) after I ran 8 mags one right after the other thru the P9s with just one large hole dead center at 15yards......I found both the "pro's" standing behind me.....and asking what the heck I was shootin......told them.....and old obsolete HK :D

the 9mm and 45 are the exact same size.

PackerFan said:
Hey Landpimp,

CZ-75 has mentioned that the P9S is his favorite, even more so than the P7. Since I have never had the opportunity to shoot the P9S, would you agree with CZ? Is the recoil management system that great? Believe it or not, I had the chance to purchase that P9S for around $1,000 in .45, and feel dumb I did not jump on it.

Is it safe to say that the 9mm version is more compact? It appears that if you could only have one version, you would get the 9mm due to it being the original version for the pistol. I tend to agree in purchasing a platform that was created for a specific round, and not a "beefed up" version. Thanks for your input.

·
2,832 Posts
oddly enough, a glock 23 leather holster fits my P9s like it was made for it, won't work with a thumbbreak style Glock holster though

some P9s are blued slide, some are matte.

PackerFan said:
Funny thing is, I could actually see myself carrying the P9S. For that reason alone, I'm leaning towards the .45 since I have the P7M8 for a 9mm carry piece. The only things that concern me carrying this weapon for CCW is that there is very little for leather holsters out there. And unlike the P7 (which looks very cool in HC), I would not want to refinish the P9S since it looks perfect in its original finish (which I assume is blueing).

·
1,199 Posts
First, let me say that I don't carry one for self defense. It is for pleasure only... so "stopping power" means nothing to me.

I like the 9mm for several reasons.

1) Milder recoil
2) cheaper ammo
3) easier on the frame/buffer
4) the gun is less expensive
5) The barrel walls are very thick. This allows a good smith to turn down the end of the barrel and then thresd it, allowing the addition of a threaded barrel extension.

The barrel makes it a perfect 9mm suppressor platform... because it is easy to extend and add an adapter without shelling out $400+ on an extended barrel.

·
Registered
171 Posts
CZ-75 said:
The barrel makes it a perfect 9mm suppressor platform... because it is easy to extend and add an adapter without shelling out $400+ on an extended barrel.
Also, it functions with large/heavy, non-boostered suppressors, which can make for a quieter set-up. Non-boostered cans are less maintenance-intensive, less complex, usually less expensive, and, again, usually quieter.

·
Registered
485 Posts
PackerFan

I carry my P9S daily,have for over twenty years now. As to holsters, I got both a Bianchi Askins Avenger and a Bianchi 19L thumb break for the P9S when I first got the gun. However I've special ordered a Milt Sparks Executive's Companion IWB and a Mitch Rosen 5G Belt Slide and both fit perfectly.So I guess what I'm saying is you can still get leather for the P9S. One more thing, there is something special about carrying a P9S .45 thats difficult to describe...all I can say is buy one and you'll know what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Never shot a .45 P9S, but I have and Love my 9mm P9S. It is one of the imports and is in good shape, buffer is good, and shoots like a dream. Has one of the best triggers ever IMHO, and is as accurate as my fairly tricked out Colt Gold Cup NM 5" model. In fact in holds up better at longer distances than my 1911 (40 yards and up). You can't go wrong either way, both are great rounds, and in a great pistol. This could just be bias talking, but if expense is a factory go 9mm, more range time, and a much cheaper gun.

·
Registered
485 Posts

You can't go wrong whichever way you decide to go. If it's just a range gun and price is a factor then the 9mm would be the better choice. If you plan to carry, I suggest the .45 ACP. As I said I've carried mine for 24 years as she's still a beauty!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys for all your help! Can anyone give me their opinion on what a "fair" buy would be for a P9S in both 9mm or .45 versions?

·
2,832 Posts
a used 9mm, $700 or a wee bit less, with 2 mags(mags are spendy and hard to find)

good buy now would be this, its a recent AIM import.
http://mactec-militaryarms.com/hkp7.html

I would suspect a non import would sell for more. a target 9mm.......hmmm dunno havn't seen many for sale

I would replace the buffer regardless of how it looks.

for a 45, combat, 1000-1300, target, 1100-1400
now surplus 45 :(

PackerFan said:
Thanks guys for all your help! Can anyone give me their opinion on what a "fair" buy would be for a P9S in both 9mm or .45 versions?

·
Registered
485 Posts
HKPRO's link GunsAmerica has a P9S .45 Combat 99% w/2 mags and box for $1250

1 - 20 of 23 Posts