HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,
I am considering doing a trade for a P9S Combat in 9mm, which has been represented to me as being in 99% condition. My concerns are availability of spare mags/spare parts and the overall value of this pistol. Are parts still available for it? What about the value? Fair market price for it?
TIA,
Cheers,
Mike

------------------
"Molon Labe"
["Come and get them"]
- Leonidas to Xerxes at the Battle of Thermopylae when told to lay down their arms and they would be spared.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Interesting quote and one of my favorites.. I would say PABLO THE GREAT could answer this price and value question the best... he seems to come up with some great deals on P9's , mags and parts are still available but as with all HK goods they are expensive...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, how about it Pablo! Give a guy a hand...?

TIA.
Cheers,
Mike

------------------
"Molon Labe"
["Come and get them"]
- Leonidas to Xerxes at the Battle of Thermopylae when told to lay down their arms and they would be spared.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mike:

There are probably more parts for the P9S 9mm
pistols floating around than for the .45, mostly because the Navy used it for some of its SEAL teams. Not all parts are interchangeable with the P9S .45. The nylon buffer is one of the parts than is prone to break, but it can still be found. Recoil springs are available from Wolff Springs. There is not too much else to go wrong with the pistol unless you fire too hot a load.
They can handle +P with a heavier recoil spring, but they weren't designed for it. They do very well with regular 9mm Ball.

The P9S 9mm does not command the prices that the .45's do, but they have been slowing increasing in value. The average price range I've seen for P9S Combat 9mm pistols in 95% or better condition during this past year is $550 - $750. Some ask more, but I'm not sure they get it. The higher price pistols are usually boxed with two mags and a manual. The 9mm mags seem to be more difficult to find than the .45's, but they still show up periodically. The magazines usually sell for $45 -$60 depending on condition. Of course, these prices are relative and may vary in different parts of the country.

You can't go wrong with a P9S in either caliber. All of the ones I've had provided very reliable service with great accuracy.

Hopefully, Pablo may provide additional details and insights.

John D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JohnD,
Thanks for the info. I knew that the 9mm wouldn't hold, or command, the value of the .45 for obvious reasons, and it's hard to find one in the pristine shape to justify the cost IMHO. A P7 is another story.
I'm somewhat hesitant to get it due to the cost of available/obsolete parts. Plus, it's hard NOT to shoot any gun that I own. After all, that's what they're here for!

Thanks much for the info my friend!
Cheers,
Mike

------------------
"Molon Labe"
["Come and get them"]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Never Fear!!! Pablo the Great is Here!!!

This one is to Mike A...

Mike,
Whatever pistol you choose, the P9S or the P7, be sure to train with it. These both are not typical pistols but are for advanced shooters. When training with these pistols, also remember to train with others as well (Muscle memory for the P7 and P9S can develop).

The P9S, in my opinion, is the finest pistol ever produced. Whether you opt for the 9mm or .45 acp, either will serve you well.

You can find pristine condition pistols out there but they are not as common as they used to be.

Recently saw a NIB early shiny blue P9S 9mm go for $1,000.00 Too much you might say? Not so! How many NIB P9S pistols has anyone seen on these boards or at gunshows lately. Because of the difficulty in finding this condition, that is a fair marketable price. Within the last few months, I myself have sold 6 HK P9S Combat .45acp pistols. They all were demo guns in excellent condition with 3 mags each and sold for $995.00 which is fair market. I have seen all types of prices for these pistols. Even as high as $2200 for the Competition Kits.

The P9S is extremely durable! It will eat more rounds without a hitch than any USP. I have put all types of 9mm & .45acp ammo, even the Speer Gold Dot Flying Ashtray and never had a failure to feed. Never a jam or stovepipe ever! We are not just talking about putting a new gun through its paces; we are talking about guns that have already had 15,000-20,000 rounds through them. Torture tests, you say? Water, mud, sand, dirt, freeze etc. has all been done to this pistol! It keeps on going and going and going.

Due to this you can see why many special operations teams still utilize these pistols even today. They also happen to be the best pistol available that you can use a suppressor on.

A nice used P9S will do you just fine. on the .45acp models, after about 12,000-15,000 rounds, the buffer housing can (not will but can crack). This however will just increase the felt recoil. The 9mm models just do not degredate except at about 50,000 rounds where both pistols will probably need to have their decocking elbow springs replaced. Thats about it.

I have recently seen P9S pistols as low as $400+

The pistols go up and back down in value. One month the 9mm pistols go out the roof in value, the next month, they are at $600 and the .45 models have skyrocketed.

Magazines can still be found for these pistols. My advice, if you find some, buy as many as you can. They can dry up in an instant and it may be months before you can find them again for sale.

.45 mags $40-$65
9mm mags $55-$95

I am with you on the concept of "Shooting what you have" as I don't believe in hanging something on a wall or in a box just waiting to show my friends so they can gauk at it.

Tp be serious now, I make the following statement:

If your pistol costs you $1,000.00 and you know that it works everytime you shoot it and it hits whatever you shoot at everytime then isn't your life worth $1,000.00?

If not, then there are plenty of Lorcin pistols available at the pawn shop.

I hope that this has helped!Good luck in your choices!

And as always, a friend of the P9S is a friend of mine!

The one and only,
Pablo the Great!!!

Ciao for Now!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pablito,
This would just be an addition to my USP, and my P7s - I'm not having to choose between the two (or 3). My major concerns were the parts and mags. I thought that the mags on my Sako TRG-21 were expensive (@ $165 ea, THEY ARE!), but upwards of $95 for an 8rd single stack?! Whew, man! Oh well...

I really appreciate your guidance, all of you, on this matter. I might just have a go at it. I'll let you know if I get it or not.
Cheers All!
Mike

------------------
"Molon Labe"
["Come and get them"]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mike,

Just to clarify, I have seen the 9 round P9S 9mm mags go as high as $95.00 from a man, er!, from Arizona. We won't mention his name! Does he sell them at this price? I doubt it unless he is one heck of a BS'n saleman.

Single stack mags? Yes and more reliable than any double stack mag.

European Magazine Release? Yes! Some people really hate these but I don't mind them at all. You won't ever accidentally drop the magazine out of the gun by mistake like you can easily do on the USP. Once you drive that magazine home, its in there until YOU decide to pull it out!

Good luck in your choices and take care.

Pablo the Great!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
The last NIB P9S 9mm Combat I saw was two years or so ago, and I bought that one for $599+tax.

At the same gunshop, an employee there got a P9S 9mm, and he was able to order magazines direct from HK for around $45 each. This was late last year.

I had a friend get me three in Germany previous to that, for approximately the same price.

As for that guy in Arizona, his name is Bob Swanson, and he is very well known for having incredibly high prices for hicap/discontinued mags. Strange thing is, his gun prices are generally quite good, and he's a pretty good source for HK P9S competition models.

FWIW, he has a good reputation for delivering quality goods, as advertised. But don't expect him to be polite..I've heard he likes to sell guns, not talk about them (other than to verify details).

·
Registered
53 Posts
P9s the quest for excellence!

I have been reading the responses to this thread and thought I would throw in my two bits worth....I just acquired a 98% P9s Target with the adj. rear sights, barrel weight , two barrels- matching numbers , and the two grips...one the match target Nils Wood ones....all for a grand! I know that was a good deal however, alot of gun stores that don't know the older HK P9s will sell them for less than they are worth........Last summer I got a P9 in 98% for $500!! It was a 1972 090-2XX of only 485 made. There are alot of good deals out there if you know what to look for. Right now alot of the gun shops are overloaded with requests for AR-15s and related military arms and acessories.....the P9S and other older gems go mostly un-noticed. My current focus is on finding an adj sight for my P9s 45acp, the NIL Wood Grips for the 45ACP ....and of course the longer barrel that I have never seen but they say was available. Or , of course if I can find a 45 ACP Target with Adjustable sights now that would be a find!!!!!

Good Luck Hunting.......

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
I have been reading the responses to this thread and thought I would throw in my two bits worth....I just acquired a 98% P9s Target with the adj. rear sights, barrel weight , two barrels- matching numbers , and the two grips...one the match target Nils Wood ones....all for a grand! I know that was a good deal however, alot of gun stores that don't know the older HK P9s will sell them for less than they are worth........Last summer I got a P9 in 98% for $500!! It was a 1972 090-2XX of only 485 made. There are alot of good deals out there if you know what to look for. Right now alot of the gun shops are overloaded with requests for AR-15s and related military arms and acessories.....the P9S and other older gems go mostly un-noticed. My current focus is on finding an adj sight for my P9s 45acp, the NIL Wood Grips for the 45ACP ....and of course the longer barrel that I have never seen but they say was available. Or , of course if I can find a 45 ACP Target with Adjustable sights now that would be a find!!!!!

Good Luck Hunting.......
you just pulled a post from 8 years ago ;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Old Post....?

Just have been told I responded to an 8 year old post...well, i am a newbee and will try again ....thanks for the heads up..
John

·
Registered
53 Posts
P9 Mystery Hybrid???

I have a P9 with a 72 date stamp and a 090 2xx serial number. I understand the P9 was a Single Pull and the P9S was a double pull trigger....this P9 has the same trigger guard as the P9S with a adj. trigger stop that's different than the P9S Target I have... and It is a double pull like the P9S....hummmmm what do i have? Some kind of a hybrid? The numbers on the barrel , frame and slide are all the way they should be so what's with this pistol? Its marked "excl. for SACO Arl. Va. 22209 and the other side of the slide has "HK mod. P9 HECKLER & KOCH GMBH OBERNDORF/NECKAR US. Pat. No. 3,566,745 Made in Germany 090 2xx
The Tactical sights - rear has two red dots either side of the notch...the front white vertical line inset in front blade...

Any insight would be really helpful...
John

·
Registered
3 Posts
P9S 45 Cal Competition Barrel Weight

I have a P9S 45 Cal. combat model and have the rare extra long factory barrel which is even longer than the Competition Model. It was refer to as a "Hunter" barrel.
I would like to have a barrel weight for my extra long "Hunter" barrel. I have access to a machine shop that could make a barrel weight but need plans or photographs of a factory Competition P9S barrel weight to go by.
Would like to know if any other P9S owners have under taken this project, with sucess.

Would appreciate any information on the subject!

Dai ****

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Pablo,
Please drop me a PM with your offsite e-mail address when you find time.
I have a few inquires for you.

Thanks,
Bob

;197 said:
Mike,

Just to clarify, I have seen the 9 round P9S 9mm mags go as high as $95.00 from a man, er!, from Arizona. We won't mention his name! Does he sell them at this price? I doubt it unless he is one heck of a BS'n saleman.

Single stack mags? Yes and more reliable than any double stack mag.

European Magazine Release? Yes! Some people really hate these but I don't mind them at all. You won't ever accidentally drop the magazine out of the gun by mistake like you can easily do on the USP. Once you drive that magazine home, its in there until YOU decide to pull it out!

Good luck in your choices and take care.

Pablo the Great!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts