HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hard are these to do yourself the legal way? Most places I checked are quite pricey. I am getting an older PTR from a buddy for a smoking deal and want to put one on, but not for $200+/-. I checked the reference section and didn't find anything.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Not hard, but unless you do the weldless install you will likely want to refinish the rifle. That is one of the reasons the install seems pricey. You will need the undersize bushing and pin available from HK parts or RTG. I recommend getting the paddle with spring. Not necessary but the anti rattle feature is nice and it puts pressure on the mag which seems to help with dropping the mag. I have done both styles. The latest generation (3rd gen) paddle has a roller cam on it. I will be trying it out on my next project. Locate and drill the hole for the pin, cut the pin to fit, you may need to file fit the bushing to fit correctly in the space. The bushing has a raised boss on one side that helps ensure the cam interaction is in the right spot, you want a close fit but not binding. You may also need to see if the mag release cam on your push button has a military cam already or if you need to swap it out for one that does. You will need to weld the undersized pin place then file the weld down to ensure your lower fits again. Once you have done this you will appreciate why the builders on the board charge what they do for the service. Good luck. There are many threads on this process and options but sometimes pulling them up can be iffy.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
If you are not a welder and don't want to re-finish your rifle you might want to consider the Taclatch II. This is an aftermarket paddle mag release for HKs and HK clones. It often does require minor modifications to work in clones like the PTR but it is much easier for DYI than the factory mag release install. HK parts sells them. I will put the link below and a link to a couple of threads about the installation. I personally installed them on two of the older JLD PTRs.

Tac Latch

TAC-LATCH II Paddle Mag Release

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-clone-talk/47134-tachlatch-ptr91k-4.html

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I would just get the new one of factor the cost of not Bubbafying your rifle.
You do not have to bubba your rifle to make these work. Anyone with a little bit of common sense and very basic mechanical skill can do the modifications to make the tac latch work properly. Not all PTRs require any fitting but some do. You can remove a very small amount of material from the PTR (which can not be seen from the outside) or you can slightly alter the tac latch to fit the PTR receiver. The earlier JLD PTRs do not have some of the more recent features like the welded rail or a factory installed paddle mag release but they are great rifles. The JLD rifles were built using NOS bolt groups rather than US made bolt groups and trunnions the barrels were a heavy profile but extremely good shooters. I had two of the JLD PTRs and they were extremely nice and accurate. The tac latch can also be easily removed.

I also installed a tac latch in an old Century Cetme (not the new C308) and it worked flawlessly. The installation in the Cetme required no modifications at all.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Thanks. I did not know this was easy. For the taclatch, people will have to dremel the hell out of things from what I understood. The last year or so I have seen some the most retarded stuff done to guns that I think many people are better off sending their **** offz

1 - 7 of 7 Posts