HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you fill in the red on the HK on the slide and grips. I searched and didnt find any real answers. Id rather not use paint, I read about some kind of crayon but not sure how to apply it. Could someone detail the process on how to color them. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
632 Posts
the "crayon" you are alluding to is called a lacquer stick, BROWNELL sells them, A well stock camera store also carries it as well. It's easy to apply, you just rub it over the area where the recessed marking are, working the product into the recess, wait a few minutes then wipe if off, the color that is in the recess will stay in there. for a finish that is blued it wipes off with a dry rag, parkerizing or other non smooth surface you will need to use a bit of solvent, to wipe the product off around the surrounding area. I use BREAK FREE, and it comes off fine with that. just makes sure you get all of the stuff off where don't want it, becuase after it cures it's there

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,652 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help wanted to do it to a couple of my HKs and needed to touch it up on my match.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have been looking for a simple answer to this for a while now...I thought I had to buy a box of Crayola to get the job done.
Thank you for making this sticky.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I use Testor's paint pens, and it works in the same fashion. The up side is that you can pick it up at Walmart. I would also point out that the tricky jobs are the ones on shallow stamp marks. When you try to wipe the excess paint away, you tend to take some paint in the stamp with it.

This was done with Testors. The irregular color in the PC mark was due to it being such a shallow stamp.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I use Testor's paint pens, and it works in the same fashion. The up side is that you can pick it up at Walmart. I would also point out that the tricky jobs are the ones on shallow stamp marks. When you try to wipe the excess paint away, you tend to take some paint in the stamp with it.

This was done with Testors. The irregular color in the PC mark was due to it being such a shallow stamp.

take credit card, then a strip of paper towel. put a little mineral spirits on one side, one edge, 1/8 of an inch, then run it across the top and you will remove less paint on accident. the credit card is firm enough to make sure you are doing this process evenly. and change the paper towel after EACH wipe.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
In reverse to this...how would you folks go about removing the white lettering on the HK41 I just bought? The finish is different on these, and I don't want to screw it up.:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
I had no idea those pens existed.

I like the red lettering in the HK P30 above. That is sweet!

·
Registered
183 Posts
take credit card, then a strip of paper towel. put a little mineral spirits on one side, one edge, 1/8 of an inch, then run it across the top and you will remove less paint on accident. the credit card is firm enough to make sure you are doing this process evenly. and change the paper towel after EACH wipe.

Thanks for the tip. That makes perfect sense.

·
Registered
74 Posts
the "crayon" you are alluding to is called a lacquer stick, BROWNELL sells them, A well stock camera store also carries it as well. It's easy to apply, you just rub it over the area where the recessed marking are, working the product into the recess, wait a few minutes then wipe if off, the color that is in the recess will stay in there. for a finish that is blued it wipes off with a dry rag, parkerizing or other non smooth surface you will need to use a bit of solvent, to wipe the product off around the surrounding area. I use BREAK FREE, and it comes off fine with that. just makes sure you get all of the stuff off where don't want it, becuase after it cures it's there
Is it literally permanent once it cures, Or is it just really hard to remove?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Inspired by all the pictures!! Just ordered a couple sticks today!

Nice work guys on the guns...I have a couple of beater gun I will practice on first! Then I will attempt the HK's

·
Registered
178 Posts
I use crayola "Maroon" get a nice HK red.

·
Registered
236 Posts
How long dose it take to cure?? I did some lastnight came out great...but then after rub'n it again some of the paint came off 24 hrs later? I have to think cleaning the gun with break free again will take it all off? Just seeing if maybe when I rubbed off the excess useing break free it kept the paint from Dry'n? Thanks

1 - 20 of 165 Posts