HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a surplus G3 retractable stock - my first army surplus non-accessory part. It has a parkerized-like finish. Has anyone out there painted one of these to better match their rifle? I heard that Gun-Kote works well over this type of finish, but am unfamiliar with that product or what it would look like on a 91 next to the standard HK finish. Basically, I am not sure which product to use, how to do it or if I even should do it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Yes, parkerizing is a very good base for other paint type coatings. Degrease it really well, and for most coatings, you want to heat it to about 175F for a while to burn off any residual moisture or oil, and then airbrush the coating on while it's still warm.

Gun-Kote or Duracoat each have colors that try to match HK black, and the older blue-gray color as well. They should be able to send you a paint chip you can compare to the color of your receiver. Cerakote makes a really durable ceramic based coating, but I wouldn't use it unless you plan on refinishing the entire thing, as it may not match the existing color as well.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I used flat black Brownells AlumaHyde II. I didn't want to dissassemble the stock for fear that the split head retainers might break on the protective cover. So I just masked everything off on the sliding portion, degreased with acetone and sprayed the back plate/recoil rod assembly and protective cover. The locking ring and clamping lever were finished in flat black gunkote. My 91 is of the blue-gray color and it doesn't match exactly but it looks a lot better than the parked finish.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for the info. I had the same concerns about taking the stock apart for painting. I was going to ask about the best way to do it for fear of screwing it up by whatever way turned out to be my way. I'll give it a try keeping it together. I just bought 2 stocks from Dan's Ammo, who I can't say enough good about, by the way, for one rifle that has a black receiver and one with blue-grey. Hopefully, I will post successful pictures soon.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,919 Posts
I bought a beat up used one, disassembled it, cleaned it and just spray canned it and it came out great. You can sort of see it to the left in my avatar but I think it's also somewhere in the gallery.
The disassembly is not hard, I found instructions on the net that were easy to follow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts