HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my regular LGS got three SP5L in - I passed at $2999 plus 6% tax - didn’t see the value for me - SP5 I would have taken them - not into flipping guns anymore - mistake?

·
Premium Member
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called him back on another item - said all 3 are spoken for 🤷🏻

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
I have an HK94 that I love. I bought an SP5L with the intent to turn it into a modern day 94. When I'm done, I'll let you known if I think you made the mistake or I did.

·
I Bleed Urban Gray
3,005 Posts
I have an HK94 that I love. I bought an SP5L with the intent to turn it into a modern day 94. When I'm done, I'll let you known if I think you made the mistake or I did.
I was considering the exact same thing until I realized I don't have any money.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Not a bad move. On gunbroker they aren't selling for much over MSRP. I've actually seen several trade below or at MSRP so I doubt you'd be able to flip it. If you're willing to spend an extra $500 you could get lucky and snag an SP5 on gunbroker

·
Premium Member
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought an SP5L with the intent to turn it into a modern day 94...
LOL it already is.
back in the day when I had all the roller locks - wanted to have the 94 threaded for a flash suppressor. Glad I did not because I sold it for big bucks before the AWB went out. Patience there will be SP5 for around $3k

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
One of my regular LGS got three SP5L in - I passed at $2999 plus 6% tax - didn’t see the value for me - SP5 I would have taken them - not into flipping guns anymore - mistake?
I don’t particularly care for those L models. I have an SP5 and a PDW and I think that is all I need.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I’m not a fan of the SP5L but I’d buy one if I had 3k burning a hole in my pocket. It’s kind of the ugly duckling but that makes it an interesting conversation piece. Also, if HK discontinues it due to lack of sales, it could become rare and increase in value.

·
Premium Member
2,995 Posts
Still a good option for those trying to build a MP5 clone w/ either a real 1/2 x 32 threaded Navy barrel or a non-threaded 3-lug barrel (MP5 F, MP5 MLI, classic MP5 "Maschinenpistole"). I personally think the choice to put the 1/2x28 threaded barrel on the SP5 was a weak move by H&K. Use a dedicated 3-lug suppressor or nothing at all...

·
Registered
120 Posts
I am not a fan of old looking tech. I spent $3000+ on a custom/upgraded BE Meyers MAWL. Night shooting is way more important to me than 1960s looking tech and looking cool at the range with a firearm from the 1980s movies. It’s not a bash just my preference and opinion. 😂

Reactions: Phil Griffin

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
I am not a fan of old looking tech. I spent $3000+ on a custom/upgraded BE Meyers MAWL. Night shooting is way more important to me than 1960s looking tech and looking cool at the range with a firearm from the 1980s movies. It’s not a bash just my preference and opinion. 😂
I don’t really care about the movie references either. But I do like the iconic look, even though it is ancient technology. It’s just a cool range toy to me, although oddly enough neither gun has been to the range yet, and I’ve had them a while, lol.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Some people don’t have to choose one or the other. They get it all. 😉

I’m definitely a fan of new AND old. The only thing I’m NOT a fan of is cheap junk in the firearms world. I’d rather have one great gun and accessories I can count on, instead on 10 pieces of junk to brag to people I have 10 of whatever.

And to be clear, if you’re buying just about anything HK, you’re in the quality side versus quantity.

·
Premium Member
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I hope those show up since some sellers keep moving the date. There are still a few Haenel guns to be had. I think these may become Grail type items someday.
The Haenel is cool, keymod forearm was a negative for me, B&T support etc. has become my go to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
After a bit of thought. I've been at this a while so take a look at HK94 values in terms of long term value. A real German host rifle for a registered sear will always be in vogue.
Years ago if I had mentioned that in 2021 you could get a new HK94 for $3000 folks would call me crazy. For context, long ago, I paid $700 for a new HK91.
These days, I buy what pulls at my heart. Since you are not flipping, seems like you made the right choice. If $3K is not big deal then in the back of the safe that SP goes.

·
Premium Member
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As I recall my roller locks 91/93/94/SP89 were all under $1k in the early 90’s sold them high around 2003 & never looked back - AFAI am concerned the SP5L is better looking than that somewhat pencilish looking 94 - SP5L has a nice threaded barrel with a good looking flash hider. Braces definitely changed the “look” of the SP5 & it is much more in demand. I don’t spend much time predicting what something is going to be worth in 10 years - I just buy what I like - lots of choices and the consumer is driving the price. Lately it has been difficult for me to get used to paying MSRP let alone above MSRP. Having “been there done that” back in the day buying Winchester commemoratives - just not my preference - If I buy something I’m gonna shoot it.
most everybody can talk about something they had which they wish they still had. Oh well - life moves on / right now I’m just enjoying what I think is better newer technology than roller locks.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts