HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some USP tacticals with the factory standard match trigger and love them! I am considering getting a match kit to install in one of my regular USPs. I know many have done it themselves and many have sent it to HK or other shops to have it done, but I want to do it myself. I am mechanically inclined and have no fear of tearing into one of my pistols. I've read that some kits require some fitting and even some polishing of the parts is recommended. Can anyone explain what it means to "polish" the small parts prior to install? The only polishing I am familiar with is taking compound and a wheel to the various pieces on my old school shovelhead bike I built. What differences will I see from a typical "drop-in" kit opposed to a "polished" drop-in one?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
253 Posts
HK pistols have pretty much 100% interchangeability, anyone who tells you to polish on any parts in the kit is giving you bad advice. If the said part does not drop into place, back up and look at what you're doing as you may have installed the previous part or parts incorrectly. Generally to "polish" means to polish the metal surfaced that move against one another usually when operating the trigger. But due to the tolerances held by HK polishing generally is a bad idea.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Probaby no reason to do it but it would be sanding with a very very fine sandpaper anywhere friction could be an issue. Unless you are a trained gunsmith DO NOT mess with ANY engagements( ie sear locking surfaces). Just throw the match kit in and call it a day man

·
Registered
904 Posts
I also have a USP 45 tactical and love the trigger.
Can that same match trigger be installed on every HK I own.? Certainly the crisp-ist break I've ever felt.

Sent from my ThunderBolt in the future - using Skynet

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the info, fellas. And to Warpdrv, the match kit can be installed into fullsize and compact USPs. The trigger will have to be shaved a little on the bottom as it will hit the trigger guard when in the compact models. Otherwise you can retain the original trigger, but it won't have the overtravel stop screw like the bigger trigger.

·
Registered
18,642 Posts
I also have a USP 45 tactical and love the trigger.
Can that same match trigger be installed on every HK I own.? Certainly the crisp-ist break I've ever felt.

Sent from my ThunderBolt in the future - using Skynet
Yes, however, only on full-sized USPs.

·
Registered
18,642 Posts
I have some USP tacticals with the factory standard match trigger and love them! I am considering getting a match kit to install in one of my regular USPs. I know many have done it themselves and many have sent it to HK or other shops to have it done, but I want to do it myself. I am mechanically inclined and have no fear of tearing into one of my pistols. I've read that some kits require some fitting and even some polishing of the parts is recommended. Can anyone explain what it means to "polish" the small parts prior to install? The only polishing I am familiar with is taking compound and a wheel to the various pieces on my old school shovelhead bike I built. What differences will I see from a typical "drop-in" kit opposed to a "polished" drop-in one?
Thanks for any advice.
You can drop it in, or you can do some trigger smoothing to help smoothing out the pull.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts