HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am by no stretch of the imagination an expert shot ... I consider myself fair ... here is a sampling of how the P30 and Sig P226sct performed today.

Sig P226SCT 9mm- 20 rounds @ 25 feet:

Hk P30- 20 rounds @25 feet:

Both - 5 rounds @25 feet:

·
Registered
423 Posts
You may not be an expert shot, but from the picture you posted under your on-line name I think you'll get better as you get older.;) Seriously I enjoyed your range report. Tell us some more about how they felt compare to each other while shooting them and your pick of the two.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am in the middle of a decision process ... I will switch (from a classic Glock 17) to carrying one of these on duty starting in April and am trying to decide which I prefer. Here are some points of thought going into my decision. Feel free to add thoughts as you wish.

- I did shoot the P226 better today, but that does not cause me to choose it over the P30 (yet).

- I have owned P226('s) for many years and have sent thousands of rounds down the pipe(s) ... today was my 2nd time shooting the P30.

- The 226 is MUCH heavier (especially with the M3x attached) which, I think, causes me to anticipate recoil less with it. As we all know, anticipating recoil is the primary cause of many stray shots.

- The tigger on this P226sct is not as smooth as the trigger on this P30, but they are both reasonable.

- Hk has always been my favorite gun manufacturer.

- The P30 feels better in my hand. My eyes roll back in my head every time I handle it ;)

- The P30 has 15 round magazines. The P226 has 20 round magazines.

- The Sig has a CT grip on it.

- The P30 is an Hk!!!!

- The P30 is lighter (remember this is for duty carry).

- I have a holster to accomodate the P226 with light.

- The P226 has TFO sights. The P30 has "rechargable" sights.

decisions, decisions, decisions ...

·
Registered
600 Posts
VERY nice shooting...no stretch of the imagination ;)
Hate to see you stretch your imagination.

I like the SCT's extended high-cap mags! But of course it sticks out too much so therefore it's ugly. :rolleyes:

My 226 is bare bones folded steel slide factory refurb from 1989, but it is one of the sleepers of my bunch. Hopefully soon Sig will make avail the SCT mags to be sold separately.

This was with about 200 rounds on one target:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Either way, I do not believe you could go wrong with either as a duty gun. I have used a Sig 226 off and on since 1991 and shoot it well for so many years behind it.

I hope to become as fluid and comfortable with the P30 and HK45 as I am with it.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Very interesting. Actually, I put the P30 against the SIG P229 SCT at 25ft. and both guns shot remarkably similar to one another, that is to say, both were SUPER accurate. The P30 would be my personal preference, but theres no discounting the accuracy of the 229 SCT either.

Great review!

·
Registered
383 Posts
I really like HK's, but I love Sig's (notice the avatar)

If I were in your situation, I would probly carry the P30. The Sig may have a slight advantage in accuracy, but for all practical purposes, they are pretty much the same. Both great quality, but the weight would push me towards the P30. Same thing with the grips, I have no complaints with the P226 grips, but the P30's are probly a little more comfortable.

As a range gun, competition gun, HD gun, I prefer the P226. If I'm going to have one of them on my belt, along with a crap load of other stuff, I'd pick the P30.

Just MO.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Nice shooting auglaze! Keep practicing with the P30. After a few trips to the range I was able to shoot my P30 much better then my P226. Due to the weight the P30 would make a better duty gun IMO.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think you hit the nail on the head about the extra weight from the flashlight. Shooting otherwise identical USP's back to back, I tend to control the one with the flashlight better.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Preference, preference, preference.

They both rock, but you gotta carry an HK.

I would definitely switch to full-time night sights on the HK. Unless you are SWAT or military, I wouldn't leave the light on your pistol. It takes seconds to push a light onto a pistol.

Does magazine capacity really matter in your line of work?

With all of the 40S&Ws out there, why would you carry a 9mm?

JPG

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Preference, preference, preference.

They both rock, but you gotta carry an HK.

I would definitely switch to full-time night sights on the HK. Unless you are SWAT or military, I wouldn't leave the light on your pistol. It takes seconds to push a light onto a pistol.

Does magazine capacity really matter in your line of work?

With all of the 40S&Ws out there, why would you carry a 9mm?

JPG
JP, you make some good points.

- Carrying an Hk is definitely "cool".
- Does magazine capacity really matter? ... depends on how many rounds it takes me to eliminate the threat. I hope to go an entire career without needing a single round, but you never know. I usually have an MP5 with 4 mags in the cruiser with me, so I could possibly go to that if I need to throw a bunch of rounds out there.
- I do like the idea of Meps or Trij's instead of the sights that come on the P30, or maybe ghost ring night sites.
- As for the light ... I think having a holstered gun/light combo is a plus.
- As for calibre ... my department uses 9mm (not my decision).

·
Registered
116 Posts
Negative on that (from an on-duty Law-Enforcement perspective), the light must be mounted if it is going to be used on a handgun at all (from Patrol/first-responder level). It is best to have a light on the gun and a handheld (for searching or offsetting the light etc.)

Imagine not having a duty-holster that is compatible with your handgun and light (attached). Standard holster, tactical-light is attached to your duty belt.

Your'e on your night-shift and draw your firearm in low-light/zero-light conditions (now you attach your tactical-light to the rail), ID your suspect, threat is not viable to shoot and it's time to go "hands-on" - you are now in NO position to reholster your weapon (at all!). Try removing that light while under duress and in a hurry, nevermind while the suspect is intent on doing you harm and in the process of doing so in a fight.

This is no time to say "Hold on bro, "time out" - mind if I take my light off my duty weapon first?" (ass-kicking has already commenced!)

What if you now need to transition to a TASER, OC pepper-spray or impact weapon and SHTF and turns into a physical altercation? You cannot hand your firearm to someone else, you may not have a partner to back you up either - you now have nowhere to put your duty-weapon.

With your duty weapon now in hand and a physical altercation that could turn into a fight for your weapon, what are your choices now? Are you not limited to what is already in your hand (as an impact weapon or what will turn into a lethal force encounter should the suspect continue the fight and/or attempt to disarm the Officer)?

Think about it. Having a light on your belt for your handgun and not having it attached (and a compatible retention duty-holster for it) is not the way to go.

Either run with a light on your weapon at all times, or none at all. There is no in-between.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts