HKPRO Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Banned
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just picked up a "new" USP Combat 9mm that came with Night Sights , LEM , Jet Funnel Kit and two 18 round Jet Funnel mags that I bought from Kjergaard Sports through Gun Brokers. Problem is when I got it home from my dealer, I discovered it has a AF date code , 2005. That means the night sights are already 7 years old and going dim. Ad never said any thing about being "new" old stock. Not sure if they have changed the design much between 2005 and 2012 ? Having old night sights does bothers me. What would you do ?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I'd contact the seller, ensuring that their description of the sale didn't not the age of the weapon first, and ask about some sort of compensation for the sights being so old.

·
Banned
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's close to when HK changed the FBP to a newer stronger style....other's on here will know when but i know it's right in there close..plus RHINO gave some sound advice!!
The newer firing pin is alot more stout. The change was more do to people who did alot of dry firing...i hope you have the newer style, good luck!!!!
test shell says 07/27/2005

·
Banned
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's close to when HK changed the FBP to a newer stronger style....other's on here will know when but i know it's right in there close..plus RHINO gave some sound advice!!
The newer firing pin is alot more stout. The change was more do to people who did alot of dry firing...i hope you have the newer style, good luck!!!!
FBP ?

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
I am not exactly sure when during 2005 that HK made the firing pin change but you can remove the firing pin block and tell if you have the new style or not. Nothing else is changed after 2005.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
He means FPB i.e. firing pin block. Although H&K actually upgraded the firing pin, FPB and FPB spring altogether with the update.

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
If you go to HKParts.net and look at the pics of the old and new style, you'll be able to spot it right away. Just knock out the roll pin with a 3/32 punch and you can look at the FPB.

·
Registered
33 Posts
buy new night sights? sorry, but the majority of the pistols out there are old and trit sights are a consumable.
Is it disappointing to buy new and find out it's new, but just old? Sure.
Suck it up and get some new bright sights for that bad boy and you'll forget all about this.

·
Registered
127 Posts
You are "very very disappointed" but haven't put a single round through it.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
What did you pay??
That's what I was thinking. Depends on what you paid.

I have the exact same gun (AF,JF,ect). They were trade ins. Some were well worn and some were new and a lot were sold with the light also.

Your description of "combat" seems to match an auction where they wanted like $1,200 if I remember correctly

I paid $700 and most of the new or like new ones sold between $700 & $800.

·
Banned
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's what I was thinking. Depends on what you paid.

I have the exact same gun (AF,JF,ect). They were trade ins. Some were well worn and some were new and a lot were sold with the light also.

Your description of "combat" seems to match an auction where they wanted like $1,200 if I remember correctly

I paid $700 and most of the new or like new ones sold between $700 & $800.
$1039.00 NIB.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Stuff seems to sit around in the HK distribution channels for years. Six or seven years is very long but the last couple NIB HK pistols I've purchased were up to two years out of the factory before they got to me.

The tritium in your night sights is good for many years and Trijicon will replace the vials for less than $60 when they get too dim to see. I just had the 2000 vials replaced in one of my pistols. The 2005 vials in another are just fine still.

-- Chuck

·
Banned
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Stuff seems to sit around in the HK distribution channels for years. Six or seven years is very long but the last couple NIB HK pistols I've purchased were up to two years out of the factory before they got to me.

The tritium in your night sights is good for many years and Trijicon will replace the vials for less than $60 when they get too dim to see. I just had the 2000 vials replaced in one of my pistols. The 2005 vials in another are just fine still.

-- Chuck
I just bought a new S&W 640 Pro with night sights that are twice as bright. Also were not talking just a year or two old NIB , we are talking about 7 years. And what about FPB design that was brought up by an earlier poster ?

·
Premium Member
5,017 Posts
You are "very very disappointed" but haven't put a single round through it.
You psychic?

To answer your question, OP. What would I do? I'd shoot it. If my only concern in life was the proximate age of my night sights then I'd consider myself pretty damn fortunate.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.