HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I picked up a used PTR-91 at the last gun show and thought I did pretty well. I got it and 3 mags, lock, and case for $850.

From what I can tell, it's an early ban-compliant model with no muzzle device, and the crappy front handguard that doesn't have the metal liner or the holes opened up on it. I plan to remedy that with a dremel, and will probably pick up a different one later on.

I've heard mixed things about bad barrels and bolt gap problems on early runs. Mine is in the 600 range serial number. I'm wondering if it has the polygonal barrel and if that's a good or bad thing or doesn't matter.

It looks to be in great shape though I have yet to fire it. I'm going to pick up some feeler gauges to check the bolt gap before I fire it.

Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,711 Posts
None of the PTRs have polygonal barrels. Furthermore, they are not chrome lined. This being said, they are very accurate, many say more accurate than the original non-polygonal 91s. You can find surplus slim handguards very cheap from any number of sources, the wide ones are more expensive.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
IIRC the A prefix means that it was built by JLD, a B prefix would mean it was sold as a receiver and someone else put the rifle together.

AFAIK the early JLD rifles had a tight target chamber that would not reliably extract surplus ammo. I think the issue was on rifles under the 400 serial number range, but don't recall the exact figure.

Regarding the bolt gap issue there were a few posts about rifles loosing headspace very quickly, but it would appear that that issue has been limited. The only way to know for sure is to shoot the rifle and check the gap to see if it opens up.

Either way, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
732 Posts
AFAIK the early JLD rifles had a tight target chamber that would not reliably extract surplus ammo. I think the issue was on rifles under the 400 serial number range, but don't recall the exact figure.

Regarding the bolt gap issue there were a few posts about rifles loosing headspace very quickly, but it would appear that that issue has been limited. The only way to know for sure is to shoot the rifle and check the gap to see if it opens up.

Either way, welcome to the forum.
I had the bolt gap issue, which seems to have been remedied by +2 rollers. I was somewhat disappointed in the response I received from PTR91, Inc., on this subject as my gap was about .009", which they said was in spec for their rifles. After I received the rifle back from them I went ahead on and changed out the rollers to +2. Changing the rollers made a difference in how the rifle performed, mitigating recoil somewhat. I was also disappointed in that they seemed to have removed my muzzle brake for examination when the rifle was at their shop, and shipped it back only finger tight. :47:

As far as the chamber goes, it is still on the tight side of things, at least as evaluated by the shoulder setback upon firing, and the force required to resize brass is significantly less than one would expect with a 308. My serial number is outside the range described above. The brass fired in my rifle doesn't grow, and seems to have lasted a lot longer than one would expect. I believe from this little bit of evidence that the chamber is still on the small side.

No telling what your rifle will be like, but despite my moderately dissatisfied condition concerning the company, the rifle is top notch.

·
Registered
616 Posts
None of the PTRs have polygonal barrels.
ALL of the early ptr's had polygonal barrels.

I believe it was serial numbers 600-ish and lower. the problem was that they were a tight match chamber and mine wouldnt shoot ANY ammo reliably. at least all 3 of my examples wouldnt.

water.boy-
i'd say you did good, and the only way to tell how reliable it is, go out and shoot it. if you did get a poly barrel and it works, you did real good.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help guys! I'm new to the 91's but when I was narrowing down my choice for bigger-bore semi-auto's, it was down to the PTR-91 and the FAL. I actually was leaning towards the FAL but since this was the ONLY 91 type that I've seen at our local gun shows and I could pick it up and hold it, and it was priced below market, I snatched it up. I've heard mostly good things about the PTR's and aside from ergonomics and reloading, there's not much bad press about durability. I've seen some of the FAL's that Atlantic sells and they aren't a bad price either. I also know that I'll end up with the FAL at some point soon, so I'll just have to get used to them and see which one I like better in the end. Different strokes you know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts