HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if a pistol grip was "ok" on a SL8 if the ten round indented magazine feature was kept? (I know if you go to the larger cap magazines, you need the US made parts) just wondering if you need to do the 922r compliance with a p-grip.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
67 Posts
i was wonderin that to .. i think thts cover under the 98 import ban

·
Registered
451 Posts
I believe it would fail the "sporting purpose" test. I have been trying to find the text from the ruling at the ATF website.

If they could have imported them with pistol grips, they would have.

JPG

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
just wondering if you need to do the 922r compliance with a p-grip.

Thanks in advance!
I would think that 922 compliance would be in order because of the two "evil" features, a detachable magazine and pistol grip, would be present.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe it would fail the "sporting purpose" test. I have been trying to find the text from the ruling at the ATF website.

If they could have imported them with pistol grips, they would have.

JPG

weren't there some single stack mag AK's that came in with a p-grip?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Nope, sorry

I wrote to the ATF Firearms Tech division about a year ago and asked exactly that question, and they said that changing the SL8 to a pistol grip format (with no other changes, e.g. same single-stack mag and single-lug bolt) would produce a firearm that is not importable under the sporting purposes test, and thus (in ATF's view) violative of s. 922(r). I'll try to find a copy of the letter.....

My understanding is that the various "sporting purposes" tests that have been developed since 1989 are cumulative. When ATF decided (in about 1991 as I recall) that anything with a pistol grip wasn't "sporting," that decision still stands. When they added the "large capacity military magazine" requirement a couple years back - you are now subject to both (and the other revisions they have made along the way).

·
Registered
29 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yep, Wasr-10s did/do.
Although if you check I think you will find that the current situation is -- WASR's come in with single stack 10 round mags and NO pistol grip and are reworked to accept staggered mags and incorporate pistol grips, and the importer subs in a few parts to meet the "10 parts" rule.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts