HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a nice box of parts here for a Reverse stretch minus a few and a trigger group but as I get closer to getting it built I have started to change my mind from a pistol build to maybe tossing on the stock and a fake suppressor .... Ultimately this will be a SBR . Problem is I hate fake suppressors , or anything non functional ( like a fake hoodscoop on a hotrod )
But , I don't know how long I would enjoy a pistol with no stock since I assume ill be in the back of a long line for my stamp .
Any input would be appreciated on what you prefer or past experience . The only carbine pistol ive owned is a Ar15 and it has the buffer tube that I find quite comfy to check weld , not the case this time

What do you think?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm having ghillie build one for me with the fake can. I shot a buddies that he has built as a pistol and i didn't enjoy it very much. I know for me, if i built it as a pistol, it would sit in a safe until my sbr paperwork came back. I'm like you in that i hate things that dont serve a function, but what i hate more is waste, as in spending all this money on a gun that i dont want to shoot because it is not comfortable.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I find my MP5 clone (Dakota Tactical) difficult to shoot accurately as a pistol (SBR pending). That being said I share your taste re: fake suppressors. Whatever your choice, after filing your Form 1, you can ponder the same irony I do: Why am I spending $200.00 and waiting for months to have the right to put on a $70.00 stock (used HK A2) to enjoy my weapon and shoot it accurately?

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I'd just got pistol. Honestly I think the fake suppressors make these guns a little unwieldy not to mention its a lot harder to carefully cut off a $100 fake suppressor without damaging something than just slapping the stock on when you get the form 1 back.

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
I'd just got pistol. Honestly I think the fake suppressors make these guns a little unwieldy not to mention its a lot harder to carefully cut off a $100 fake suppressor without damaging something than just slapping the stock on when you get the form 1 back.
If he's getting a custom gun made by Ghillie, with the intent of making it an SBR in the near future, that can be made a lot more direct and easier. Just get him to make a lump weld instead of a recessed version. Then it can be easily be ground off and not damage anything underneath.

As far as which one to get, I'd go with the rifle. You will have a lot more fun with a rifle than a pistol. And you can do things to that ugly fake can to get by until you can remove it. I'm not talking about removing it. Paint it funny colors or put the word "TEMPORARY" on the sides of it. Just whatever it takes to get your mind off of it. In any case, if you're running semi auto, these guns are tons more fun with a stock than as a pistol.

·
Registered
79 Posts
There are fake suppressors that pin/weld to themselves such that it's impossible to remove them from the 3-lug without breaking at weld... But they do no damage to the gun. I'd DROS as a pistol but attaching the barrel extension (pin/weld, naturally) would let you put the stock at will. You get the best of both worlds.

Mine has "California Tube" etched on the side.

·
Premium Member
1,467 Posts
A fake can for legal rifle length is far different than a fake hood scoop on your car. Now if the local police department sent out memos saying that you can drive 20 miles per hour over the speed limit if you apply a fake hood scoop to your car, wouldn't it be an easy choice?

The fake can isn't non-functional, it most definitely serves the function of allowing one to use a stock and shoulder fire the weapon as it was designed to be fired. I have a fake suppressor on my DT, and with the engraving Joe did, I think it looks fine. The IGF faux suppressor is large enough in outside diameter to not look goofy.

D54P-7 by HKnut, on Flickr

D54P-12 by HKnut, on Flickr

D54P-8 by HKnut, on Flickr

With that said, I wouldn't put a fake suppressor on a gun with a K front end. The faux suppressors have to be too long to meet the legal length req'd, and at that point they start to look a little goofy. I don't mind them when tastefully done on a full size gun.

·
Registered
286 Posts
when i first shot my pistol build, i found it hard to manage comfortably. cant wait for my stamp....oh wait that reminds me i still have to send out my form 1's....

i shot one recently with a stock on it, so much more comftable andtherefore more fun to shoot. so now i'm thinking about a fake can too.

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
A fake can for legal rifle length is far different than a fake hood scoop on your car. Now if the local police department sent out memos saying that you can drive 20 miles per hour over the speed limit if you apply a fake hood scoop to your car, wouldn't it be an easy choice?

The fake can isn't non-functional, it most definitely serves the function of allowing one to use a stock and shoulder fire the weapon as it was designed to be fired. I have a fake suppressor on my DT, and with the engraving Joe did, I think it looks fine. The IGF faux suppressor is large enough in outside diameter to not look goofy.

D54P-7 by HKnut, on Flickr

D54P-12 by HKnut, on Flickr

D54P-8 by HKnut, on Flickr

With that said, I wouldn't put a fake suppressor on a gun with a K front end. The faux suppressors have to be too long to meet the legal length req'd, and at that point they start to look a little goofy. I don't mind them when tastefully done on a full size gun.
So, am I to gather from this that this fake can won't work for 9mmx18? Hmmm, that's weird.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
So, am I to gather from this that this fake can won't work for 9mmx18? Hmmm, that's weird.
Huh? Whatcha talkin bout Willis? They the same size they is.

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
Huh? Whatcha talkin bout Willis? They the same size they is.
I was just making fun of the 9mm x19 stamping. My point was that there was no reason or relevance to the case length (in this case) on a suppressor stamping.

Most 9mm suppressors that I've looked at just read "9mm" or "9mm Luger". I realize that the "9mm Luger" is the same as saying "9mmx19". Just don't think about it as much.

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
Are there any fake cans for a 53 build? If so, where can I get one?
Since it's not really doing anything, you could probably use a 9mm fake can. Well maybe anyway. OTOH, maybe it would blow up real good.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Oh. I get it now retro!! Sorry. Short bus kinda day.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well ,I'm still undecided but leaning towards the fake can to use the stock ... But like said earlier a K front end might be odd with a 11 inch can .... Anyone have any pics ??? Reverse stretch with fake can or mp5k/sp89 ??
Or hell . Wanna share any fake can pics ?? Thanks for the input

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
- Just do the SBR from the get go and be done with it .....
- Pistol is great for a sear host, not much use other wise IMO (guess everyone needs one just for grins).
- If you are going pistol then SP89, but a large semi auto 9mm is still a little boring.
- If for some reason you are not going to SBR in a year or more, talk to GB and see what he recommends.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts