HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to pick up a P30SK V3 DA/SA and couldn't decide safety or no safety. Went to my LGS where they happened to have both in stock. After handling each one I decided on no safety and here's why. The mag slide release on the model with the safety is harder to engage because it is shorter than the model with no safety. Check it out in pics of the gun. Also the safety levers dig into your grip where they meet your hand. Could potentially be uncomfortable (during recoil) while practicing at the range. Found the V3 DA/SA without safety more comfortable to hold/operate. Hope this helps someone out there. I'm Off to play with my first HK!!!

·
Registered
344 Posts
no safeties. thats what your finger is for. IMO i dont like carrying a gun with a safety... part of the reason i switched from 1911s

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
It all is simply user preference. I bought my HK P30LS because I wanted and prefer the shorter magazine release levers. Because of my thumbs forward grip on some pistols I have a tendency to slightly touch the slide release lever while shooting which causes the slide to not stay open on the last round fired. Having the safety does not bother me in the least bit and I have come to like it as in if i need to leave my P30LS in the car I engage the safety or other times I want to use it. With HKs you can engage safety with the hammer down if you want..

·
Registered
368 Posts
I traded my P30sk LEM for a P30sks DA/SA. At first I thought I'd not get along with the safety lever. Was looking for a narrower lever, or to just take it off. But honestly, after the last two sessions with it I've got to say the safety has been a non-issue. I just don't use it. And it doesn't flip easily, certainly not by an "accidental" touch. You've got to be trying to put that safety on. That said, I'd probably have not gone with the safety if I had DA/SA choice when first buying. But it certainly isn't a deal breaker. Did not know it had shorter slide release levers. But that seems a non-issue so far, as well.

·
Banned
474 Posts
No safety! I sold my P30LS and now have new P30L with short slide release lever and finally no annoying safety levers anywhere :).

·
Registered
711 Posts
My P30sks v3 does not bother me at all. Shooting or carrying. It's been a complete non issue for me. But I would've bet a lot of money that I would not of like it. It's a good thing I tried it before giving up on it. It's the only gun of mine that is always loaded and when not on person it's nice to have the safety. I've taught my kids well and secure gun properly but it's nice to have a little more peace of mind. It's also used as my bed side gun. I do notice the safety when I shoot but it's not in the way or uncomfortable in any way.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
My P30SK is V1 LEM.
It's all about personal preference.
All my carry guns have no external safety.
I did carry both a HK45c and USPT45 cocked and locked for a while.
Then had both converted to LEM.
All seven of my HKs are now LEM.

Barth

·
Registered
6 Posts
You are the only external safety your gun should have. An external safety also lowers the potential resale value and makes the gun harder to sell.

·
Registered
49 Posts
What is this "slide release" you speak of? Mine has a slide lock. Years of training - only after I start looking at the internet did I ever see that people used the slide stop as a release.

Sorry, just one of my ramblings.

·
Registered
368 Posts
What is this "slide release" you speak of? Mine has a slide lock. Years of training - only after I start looking at the internet did I ever see that people used the slide stop as a release.

Sorry, just one of my ramblings.
Well, somebody better tell HK parts they've got it wrong.

Slide Release, Right - HK P30 & P30L-Shorty

·
Registered
344 Posts
really ? good to know , that must be why 1911s are not selling.
IMO if its a nice custom 1911 it will sell.. a Ed brown, wilson, nighthawk, ext.. they will sell even if they have safeties. comes down to the person.. i didn't mind carrying a 1911 with a safety at all.

·
Registered
953 Posts
For me, the biggest adjustment when going to the P30L was not the loss of a safety lever; it was the addition of a decocking button. If you can get used to the decocking button on the P30 platform, that's really all you need to worry about.

Mark

·
Registered
344 Posts
For me, the biggest adjustment when going to the P30L was not the loss of a safety lever; it was the addition of a decocking button. If you can get used to the decocking button on the P30 platform, that's really all you need to worry about.

Mark
If i were to get the da/sa i actually like the location of the decocker, you train and you get use to it. Just like the paddle mag release

·
Registered
953 Posts
If i were to get the da/sa i actually like the location of the decocker, you train and you get use to it. Just like the paddle mag release
I wasn't saying that the decocking button was poorly located. I, too, like its location. I was merely trying to help the OP recognize that the presence or absence of a safety lever on the P30 platform wasn't the real adjustment one had to make when looking to go safety-less...it was adjusting to a decocking button. And, yes, the way to adjust is to train on it. But, thank you for pointing out the obvious.

Mark

·
Registered
711 Posts
I
I wasn't saying that the decocking button was poorly located. I, too, like its location. I was merely trying to help the OP recognize that the presence or absence of a safety lever on the P30 platform wasn't the real adjustment one had to make when looking to go safety-less...it was adjusting to a decocking button. And, yes, the way to adjust is to train on it. But, thank you for pointing out the obvious.

Mark
I agree. Especially if you're use to or been accustomed to using the USP platform.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I like carrying my P30L V3 cocked and locked. I like the very short trigger pull and flipping the safety down is not a problem in practice. Consistency of carry is what makes me consider the 30sk V3 as a CCW in place of my 2000sk. The caveat is that I have never been in a life and death situation with a gun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
P30SK-no safety. The gun won't fire on its own contrary to the lefts beliefs. Wherever you're going to carry it, use a holster. Thats your first line of defense against a negligent discharge. Secondly, (and this should be common sense but that is lacking nowadays) keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to fire. I don't care how much you train, no amount of training can prepare you for the feeling of an actual o s#it fight or flight moment. Most people will never have to experience that feeling but if you do you don't want a safety on your own weapon to be your demise.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts