HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'll start. I have just purchased a couple of HK's and really want to get out and start shooting. I don't want to go to a range and pay to shoot on a 25 yard lane. Who can't hit that? Anyway, I'm in Davis Co. and wondered if anyone knew where to go and shoot for free.

·
Vendor
727 Posts
Why not go out west? There are not really any set "ranges" but some very good places to go out and make your own. That is what I do most of the time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am on Hill AFB
The only place I go shooting with my pistols is at Impact guns....
there is another range with a cheap yearly membership over in Kaysville, however it is IMHO just a pain to shoot there with a pistol

The trip out to the West Dessert takes too long to make it worthwhile, uless you are going camping anyways...
If there is other places "out West" that are closer to the Davis county let us know......
I at this time only own one H&K ("AG" P7M8).... however have some newer Walther's... if anybody wants to hook up shooting some time and see how other German craftsmanship works...just drop me a email....

Oliver

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you a military member or civilian serving at Hill? I have a couple of friends who are stationed there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am one of the few male spouses....
my wife is ARMY and worked out of a Recruiting Station up here.... as of October will be working out of Fort Douglas ....
So yea, I live up here....

·
Registered
24 Posts
in Fruit Heights is a nice range IMHO.
+1 I went to a full auto shoot there last year, nice range. I still see a couple of the range officers @ the gun shows in SLC.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I haven't been to Fruit Heights, I'll have to try it. I will say GetSome has a great indoor range. Full auto friendly too.

G

·
Hi Utah,

I'm a member of Holladay Gun Club just off I-215 & 6200 Sth. It's an outdoor range but I've enjoyed being there in all weather conditions!

Cost is $50 or $60 per year and $2 per person per daily visit. GetSome.. is something like $12 per visit; maybe more. I was in St. George over the weekend and went out into the boonies to shoot. Very nice (45 deg F compared with lotsa snow in Utah Cty and Salt Lake County :)).). There's a club in Springville too but I don't know anything about it.

Maybe we should set up an HK-Club in Utah. Thoughts?

Best

UG

·
Registered
113 Posts
Utah Club...

What we ought to do is get with the SIG guys and do a joint club! Lots of cross over in ownership between the two companies especially in Utah.

G

·
What we ought to do is get with the SIG guys and do a joint club! Lots of cross over in ownership between the two companies especially in Utah.

That's a great idea. I have a Sig P229, a PSP-7 and a P30.

How could we go about getting this started?

·
Registered
12 Posts
weekend shoot

Hi Guys - Wanted to let you know that a buddy of mine and myself are going to be at the public shooting grounds immediately west of Utah Lake on Sunday. This is the shooting grounds just south of Pelican point. If you go up there look for the guys with the HK arsenal. We'll be the only ones up there with HK goodies.

G

·
Hi Guys - Wanted to let you know that a buddy of mine and myself are going to be at the public shooting grounds immediately west of Utah Lake on Sunday. This is the shooting grounds just south of Pelican point. If you go up there look for the guys with the HK arsenal. We'll be the only ones up there with HK goodies.
Which is the best way to get there from American Fork area?

If I can get out there, I will. Might be difficult this Sunday but I'd like to know how to get there just in case :)

Be safe!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi Utah,

I'm a member of Holladay Gun Club just off I-215 & 6200 Sth. It's an outdoor range but I've enjoyed being there in all weather conditions!

Cost is $50 or $60 per year and $2 per person per daily visit. GetSome.. is something like $12 per visit; maybe more. I was in St. George over the weekend and went out into the boonies to shoot. Very nice (45 deg F compared with lotsa snow in Utah Cty and Salt Lake County :)).). There's a club in Springville too but I don't know anything about it.

Maybe we should set up an HK-Club in Utah. Thoughts?

Best

UG
Didn't they raise the price of membership to $150? Does anybody know if this range is going to be shut down this year (maybe for some expensive real estate)?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Another good place to go shoot is in the west desert off I-80 at the Morton Salt plant and then head north. Lots of area to do some blasting. :37:

·
Vendor
727 Posts
Another good place to go shoot is in the west desert off I-80 at the Morton Salt plant and then head north. Lots of area to do some blasting. :37:

This is a great place and we like to shoot there as well. Plenty of open space for shooting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've only shot a few places: My two cents.

The price at Get Some is $12 for pistol calibers and $15 for rifle. It's only 25 yards but they allow everything up to and including the .50 BMG. The ventilation in the range is better than any other I've been to. Get Some is more than full-auto friendly - they prefer it. :)

Doug's, Impact (SLC), and Impact (Ogden) are all out of my way.

Rangemasters in Springville is also full-auto friendly but only allow rifle cartridges on one lane, at least last time I went.

Orem City has a range and I've shot .22 at the park but I've heard they now allow other pistol calibers. Don't be surprised to see boy scouts there.

The Provo Gun Range is outdoors (up the canyon some) and allow full-auto + have 25, 50, 100 yard lanes as well as some shotgun stations. Open Wed. and Sat. afternoons and costs $2. I shoot here a lot and have met some nice people with some great military collections... however, I've had some of my worst experiences here in the past year. Not due to dangerous inexperienced shooters but to competition shooters that take up more space than any one person needs [rant truncated]. There are a select few that seem to want to crowd everyone else out.

I shoot out past Pelican Bay more than anywhere else and I just want to publicly ask that people not take their dogs out there to euthanize them. Aside from any questionable moral implications to finding dead pets out there, it just stinks.

I do not shoot out on the West side of Utah Lake for several reasons: ATV's going down range even when they see that you are shooting there and after a conversation with some sheriff's I just stay clear.

Understand that, although not enforced well, it is not legal to shoot in Utah, Salt Lake, or Davis county unless you are in a designated area.

Any Utah Rifle & Pistol Association guys on here? They used to have a short list of ranges but I haven't been a member for fifteen years.

I've been meaning to compile a marked public map in google maps or some such for shooting locations.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You can attribute a bit of that vague-ness to the fact that it's illegal to discharge a weapon within county limits except at designated ranges. 'Out west' has no designated ranges - though not enforced I don't suggest it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts