HKPRO Forums banner

Plastic Guns And Cold Weather

6K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  F22_RaptoR 
#1 ·
I love shooting and I don't stop for anything. I live near Edmonton in Alberta and in the winter we can often hit the minus 30 C weather around January pretty easy.

On days like that I tend to have the outdoor range to myself. Last year my HK SL8 did pretty well in such temps but the lubes I use began to gum up a bit. I am hoping my USP functions as well.

My question is this: is there a spec or statement from the HK people with regards to temperature? Do these polymers get brittle in cold weather?

#3 ·
"The HK USP is probably the most thoroughly tested pistol ever produced. The testing process of the USP, already extreme in exceeding strict NATO AC-225 Military Specification Standards, in many ways mirrors the regimen the HK SOCOM pistol was subjected to

Other less destructive tests reveal much about USP reliability and durability. Function testing a wide selection of ammunition types, one test gun fired more than 10,000 rounds without a single malfunction. That means no stove-pipes, no failures to feed o r eject; no jams! Endurance firings of test samples has passed 20,000 rounds of high performance .40 S&W ammo without any parts failures. Sever temperature tests required the USP to be frozen at -44 degrees F (-42 degrees C) and then fired, frozen again a nd quickly heated to 153 degrees F (67 degrees C), and then fired again. These temperature spectrum tests were continually repeated, and with no adverse effects on the USP." - Street Pro

#4 ·
With the right ammunition...do they "shoot underwater"?

I remember false movie claim from US Marshalls (movie) that Glocks shoot under water, but only test I have seen is that they will shoot submersed and then brought back out after several hours. Just curious, as I do not have any reason to jump into pools and start shooting at mermaids.

#10 ·
With the right ammunition...do they "shoot underwater"?

I remember false movie claim from US Marshalls (movie) that Glocks shoot under water, but only test I have seen is that they will shoot submersed and then brought back out after several hours. Just curious, as I do not have any reason to jump into pools and start shooting at mermaids.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pvr0KeLaK8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlXql_OLzzQ

I have seen videos of the P2000 and it will definately hold its own. Any modern pistol will suit your needs. I would suggest changing oils before you change pistols.

#5 ·
I would think that a polymer would do better in extreme temperature conditions than steel would do to its physical properties...but I am no chemist or physicist so what do I know...

#6 · (Edited)
Welcome, very cool to have a couple guys near or from Edmonton on the boards :D

Dont worry, HK tests the guns to -40C ;)

I've shot mine in some pretty cold weather at Sherwood Park shooting range, and had no problems with it :D

One reason the USP's run very well without lube, which can cause gum-ups in cold weather, so if you just put a teeny bit of lube, it the USP should run like a champ still!

What range do ya go to? i know theres a few outside Edmonton, I go to Phoenix (for indoor) and Sherwood park.

#7 ·
On days like that I tend to have the outdoor range to myself. Last year my HK SL8 did pretty well in such temps but the lubes I use began to gum up a bit. I am hoping my USP functions as well.

QUOTE]

Hi, just what kind of lube have you been using. I use Gun Butter, now have not been through such cold weather. It's a good thing the USP is designed so the shooter can use thick winter gloves.

#8 · (Edited)
#11 ·
F22 I shoot at the Sherwood Park range too. Used to shoot at Phoenix, but when you get a whole bunch of guys blazing away indoors the air gets kinda thick if ya catch my drift.

I prefer to shoot outdoors.

I think my lube is Breakfree if I recall correctly. I don't use much of it- I suppose I should hunt down a low temp lube for winter time.

#16 ·
F22 I shoot at the Sherwood Park range too. Used to shoot at Phoenix, but when you get a whole bunch of guys blazing away indoors the air gets kinda thick if ya catch my drift.

I prefer to shoot outdoors.

I think my lube is Breakfree if I recall correctly. I don't use much of it- I suppose I should hunt down a low temp lube for winter time.
haha, same reason i switched to Sherwood Park too :p. A lot nicer atmosphere, even when is cold (plus its a private range, which has its benifits)

As for the lube, i use Mpro7 (just a little) i usually use a Q-tip to apply it, and then i'll wipe off any excess with the cleaning rag. The only parts i have any real ammounts of lube on, is on the O-ring, a bit on the frame rails, and the barrel locking block. Everything else i wipe etra oil off.

If your planning on shooting it in really cold temperatures, like when it gets -10C, or colder, i would say wipe off the extra oil on all the parts. I put a dry Q-tip into the trigger group and wipe those parts off, and then mabey use a rag and press (not really wipe, just use pressure) the barrel locking block, and the rest of the barrel off.

ETA

Cool pic Gunut :D

#12 ·
You might consider Eezox. When properly applied, it's dry, provides excellent protection, and makes subsequent clean-up much easier. From my limited experience, the USP is perfectly happy with a dry lube.

+1 on TW-25b for anywhere you want something more substantial that fills in crevices and "slicks them up" (slide rails, older guns that use grease, sears, bolt carriers, etc.). It's one of the most innocuous lubes in terms of smell, toxicity, etc, and is actually a high-tech fluoropolymer, although it subs fine for grease. I've used in it Minnesota without any viscosity problems. Of course, that's nearly tropical for you North-of-The-Border folks, but oh well...

#20 ·
It is possible to shoot semi-auto's underwater. JUST MAKE SURE the barrel is completely empty of air, or the barrel will bulge.

The gun will generally not cycle properly though, and it will cause a lot more pressure.

I remember a guy here went into a lake and shot off some rounds from a USP underwater and nothing "bad" happened.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.