HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has been using plated bullets w/ any success on accuracy and feeding in their P7 series handguns. I was thinking about picking up some Berry's 124 grain plated hollow point. Thanks.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool. Thanks. I usually reload w/ cast however I think I will stick w/ jacketed/plated in the 'ole P7. I have shot cast through her but, Iam not going to push the issue.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I was using plated bullets in my P30 for a while, and they were crap for accuracy, they would deform right off the bat(discovered from recovered rounds and a squib). Honestly the little extra is well spent on sticking with jacketed.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has been using plated bullets w/ any success on accuracy and feeding in their P7 series handguns. I was thinking about picking up some Berry's 124 grain plated hollow point. Thanks.
Look into Powerbond bullets also. I haven't used them in my HK yet, but I have in my J-frame Smith. I'd heard that the loading data for many plated bullets was the same as lead bullets due to the plating not holding up at jacketed bullet velocities. When contacting Powerbond, I was told this was not an issue and to use Speer's data for their TMJ/FMJ bullets.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Look into Powerbond bullets also. I haven't used them in my HK yet, but I have in my J-frame Smith. I'd heard that the loading data for many plated bullets was the same as lead bullets due to the plating not holding up at jacketed bullet velocities. When contacting Powerbond, I was told this was not an issue and to use Speer's data for their TMJ/FMJ bullets.
Yes, that seems to be the standard rule with loading plated bullets. If you want high velocity go with jacketed. I load Berry's 124 grn. with 4.3 grns. of W231. Velocity is around 1050-1075 fps. Bullets recovered... retained about 94% of their weight.

·
Registered
111 Posts
How is plated different than jacketed?

Shooting lead in a P7 is messy- gets into the gas system.
I refer you the below link for a more definitive explanation than I could provide. The primary complaint about plated bullets seems to be that accuracy is inferior to that of jacketed bullets. And some maintain that the copper fouling is more extreme with plated bullets. In my personal experience, I haven't noticed much disparity between the two in regard to accuracy or fouling. And some of my loads have equaled the accuracy factory ammo. That being said, I don't do much "target" shooting. More of the CQB, combat type. In other words, I reload for range fodder.
Berry's Frequently Asked Questions â

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am just reloading for practice and IDPA. So speed and super accuracy is not really needed. I leave that up to my military bench rest rifle shooting. I have had real good luck w/ 147 grain lead and AAC#7 for IDPA and practice w/ my P30L and USP. Accuracy seems to be a hair better than factory ball. But, kept at cast velocities I think plated will do just fine in my P7.

Echo2 came from IA to NE for my job. I am not a Husker fan though. Don't like the Squakeyes either. The CWS is a blast though! I have worked armed security there before. Hot as hell but, a great time. I worked the last game in Rosenblatt 2 years ago. Nice experience. Take care.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts