HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
... but ...

Let's say a girl has a HK expert 45 that she loves. (And a 9mm expert she loves)

Let's say that it's been noted small hands + big grip make it a little bit of a poor fit despite this love.

Let's also add that she shoots the HK45 and p30 really well in comparison.

Let's say Google searches turned up a company called BoreSight Solutions.

How awesome of an idea is this for an HK Expert 45?

In theory the grip could be reduced to have a more hk45/p30 like shape, yes?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Let's say a girl is probably out of luck on this.

Grip reductions are generally done on striker guns where back strap areas don't contain anything. In hammer fired guns this area is a mainspring housing which makes it harder to do anything about it.

In addition, the Google search has failed to direct a girl to Boresight's FAQ page, see entry # 1. Ben's work is in demand, can't blame him.

Boresight Solutions | Faq

·
Priest of the P7
5,031 Posts

Grip reductions are generally done on striker guns where back strap areas don't contain anything. In hammer fired guns this area is a mainspring housing which makes it harder to do anything about it.

In addition, the Google search has failed to direct a girl to Boresight's FAQ page, see entry # 1. Ben's work is in demand, can't blame him.

Who are you, Jaqen H'ghar?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Ahhh, a girl has definitely failed.

There are pictures on his Instagram of HK USPs that looked like he worked on... that gave me so much hope!

·
Registered
627 Posts
When I was a kid, kids use to but blocks on there peddles it there bike was too big for them. I say go for it. (When your hands grow up you can switch back).:biggrin:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I mean I had to sit on a phone book in drivers ed... lol and somehow I haven't gotten taller but I don't need a phone book anymore to drive lol

Maybe the extra kick of the 45 is just making it more obvious than the 9mm that the gun is a little too big?

The hk45 feels like it has a lighter recoil for some reason.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Let's say I'd tap that girl.

Get usp compact.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Maybe the extra kick of the 45 is just making it more obvious than the 9mm that the gun is a little too big?
No doubt. If hands are big enough to complete a 360 encirclement around the grip, then theoretically the grip is not too big. As long as there is no hand contact separation in recoil which is a function of hand size, grip strength, and recoil severity.

That said, those support side free areas on both the Expert and the HK45 depicted in the first post of this thread appear to be quite large.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would say from a look at the dog's expression that I wouldn't mess with the grip...
Haha definitely, that face is priceless.

Totally off topic...
She comes to the range with me sometimes in the summer yet the guns make her apprehensive. My old pit on the other hand will growl if it's anyone other than me. And if you fire it in front of him he will charge you and leap towards your hand.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No doubt. If hands are big enough to complete a 360 encirclement around the grip, then theoretically the grip is not too big. As long as there is no hand contact separation in recoil which is a function of hand size, grip strength, and recoil severity.

That said, those support side free areas on both the Expert and the HK45 depicted in the first post of this thread appear to be quite large.
So, there is hope! I just need to work on my grip more...

I feel like, in theory, a plastic gun should be able to be contoured and narrowed.

A girl thanks someone should get on figuring that out...

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
So, there is hope! I just need to work on my grip more...
That never hurts as long there is 360 degree hand coverage of a grip with hands in "resting state".

I feel like, in theory, a plastic gun should be able to be contoured and narrowed.
I don't own any USP heritage guns so I can't comment on them, but...
If you take a decently powered flashlight and light it inside a magazine well of a P30, you will see a light penetrate the front wall of a magwell. Not a whole lot to contour and remove there. Just an example, don't know if it applies to the USP etc.

There is a boy who is a member here; he doesn't post often. He owns just about every imaginable HK, some in multiple copies. He is lucky to have a great girl who is a committed Glock shooter. She's about 5'7" and 120 lbs wet, I think. Occasionally she dabbles into her boy's HKs. She enjoys shooting a 9mm Expert; then again, her usual gun is a gen3 Glock 34. They spend a lot of time in Alaskan bear country and their sidearm caliber of choice is a 45 on Steroids, or 45Super. She shoots it out of HK45C. They have 45 USP Tac but 45C is her choice. There should be some moral in here, or maybe not...)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That never hurts as long there is 360 degree hand coverage of a grip with hands in "resting state".

I don't own any USP heritage guns so I can't comment on them, but...
If you take a decently powered flashlight and light it inside a magazine well of a P30, you will see a light penetrate the front wall of a magwell. Not a whole lot to contour and remove there. Just an example, don't know if it applies to the USP etc.

There is a boy who is a member here; he doesn't post often. He owns just about every imaginable HK, some in multiple copies. He is lucky to have a great girl who is a committed Glock shooter. She's about 5'7" and 120 lbs wet, I think. Occasionally she dabbles into her boy's HKs. She enjoys shooting a 9mm Expert; then again, her usual gun is a gen3 Glock 34. They spend a lot of time in Alaskan bear country and their sidearm caliber of choice is a 45Super. She shoots it out of HK45C. They have 45 USP Tac but 45C is her choice. There should be some moral in here, or maybe not...)
Haha fine, point taken. No more whining!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Nah, didn't think there was any whining!

The story was to show that the only woman that I know of shooting HKs in harder recoiling calibers, and who has an access to any one of them, prefers HK45.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Nah, didn't think there was any whining!

The story was to show that the only woman that I know of shooting HKs in harder recoiling calibers, and who has an access to any one of them, prefers HK45.
Yeah I see that in your story too.

The hk45/45t must be better balanced on top of better ergonomics.

My hk45 target (not in the same session)

My hk expert 45

I really did want to get a mark 23 eventually but it seems like it would be a bit of a waste of money. :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
This might sound a bit dumb cause you actually adding seize to the grip, but for me it did work really well with a Hogue Handall universal grip http://www.hogueinc.com/grips/handall/sleeve. I don't have that small hands but pretty short fingers.

I have the Handall Full Size Grip Sleeve Black and the increased grip does make the gun fit alot better into my hand even doe the diameter actually is increased. They are not very expensive so i would recommend you to at least try one out and maybe it gets you a better feel for the grip.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
My wife has the same problem with the addition that her hands are almost skeletal in appearance. Just means we don't share many guns.

This might sound a bit dumb cause you actually adding seize to the grip, but for me it did work really well with a Hogue Handall universal grip Hogue Inc.. I don't have that small hands but pretty short fingers.

I have the Handall Full Size Grip Sleeve Black and the increased grip does make the gun fit alot better into my hand even doe the diameter actually is increased. They are not very expensive so i would recommend you to at least try one out and maybe it gets you a better feel for the grip.

Good luck :)
even if the grip is bigger, if the shape better matches your hand it'll feel (And work) better. That's why there are a million different guns out there with ever-so-slightly different grip shapes. some people like glocks, some like 1911s, some like P30/HK45/VP9 grips... To each their own.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Ben has stated he's done USPs in the past, so while he no longer does them, grip reduction with a USP certainly is a possibility. As YVK noted, the USP is not going to have as dramatic an effect, but it's still doable to a certain extent. It might be worth reaching out the Ben and seeing who he would recommend for such a job, as I personally am not up to date with who's a reputable source of grip work these days.

Even if the grip is bigger, if the shape better matches your hand it'll feel (And work) better. That's why there are a million different guns out there with ever-so-slightly different grip shapes. some people like glocks, some like 1911s, some like P30/HK45/VP9 grips... To each their own.
What feels best in hand often does not correspond what gives the best performance. Many people find smaller combinations of grip panels and backstraps to give them the most comfortable grip, yet shoot better with larger panels and backstraps; similarly, I know folks that find the P30 and HK45 grips to feel much better in hand, yet they shoot the USP to a better level. Feelings lie, the shot timer doesn't.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts