HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..because it looks an awful lot like Melonite / Ferritic nitrocarburizing?

·
Registered
410 Posts
i believe its a 2 or might be 3 step process. involves a "dow-corning process" which is a corrosion resistant, lubricative nitrocarburizing + black oxide over it

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
HE finish is a dow corning anti-corrosive metal treatment with lubricative attributes. This process is applied to steel and then bluing is applied on top. Even though you can wear through the top finish the HE treatment beneath is there and will stay there for a long long time. I don't think anyone knows the exact methods on how HK does this but I assume thats the way they want it, it's a trademark/patent for them hence "Hostile Environment Finish".

·
Registered
17 Posts
Did you wikipedia Ferritic nitrocarburizing? It looks like at least Glock, Springfield Armory, Smith and Wesson, HK beretta and probably a lot others use Ferritic nitrocarburizing on their guns. The main difference is how they introduce the nitrogen and carbon to the ferritic state of the metal. The four main classes of ferritic nitrocarburizing are gaseous, salt bath, ion or plasma, and fluidized-bed. We know Glock uses the tennifer finish which is a salt bath. S & W and Beretta use the Melonite finish which is also a salt bath finish. HK's treatment is "nitro gas carburizng" so it uses a gaseous processes of imparting the nitrogen and carbon to the metal. it's all basically the same thing they just go about slightly differently.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
...and just to clarify, you can't see it unless the blueing is stripped away...just saying.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Did you wikipedia Ferritic nitrocarburizing? It looks like at least Glock, Springfield Armory, Smith and Wesson, HK beretta and probably a lot others use Ferritic nitrocarburizing on their guns. The main difference is how they introduce the nitrogen and carbon to the ferritic state of the metal. The four main classes of ferritic nitrocarburizing are gaseous, salt bath, ion or plasma, and fluidized-bed. We know Glock uses the tennifer finish which is a salt bath. S & W and Beretta use the Melonite finish which is also a salt bath finish. HK's treatment is "nitro gas carburizng" so it uses a gaseous processes of imparting the nitrogen and carbon to the metal. it's all basically the same thing they just go about slightly differently.
It is not the same as S&W, Beretta and or even Sig & Glock just to be clear.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Nazis.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Heil HK!!

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So we've established, everyone here can use Google translate. awesome.

If you all really knew how to speak German, you wouldn't type like my deaf uncle Homer sounds after he's had a few to many PBRs. lol

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
So we've established, everyone here can use Google translate. awesome.

If you all really knew how to speak German
or, some of us might not be fluent.

****. Half the Americans on this website can't even use simple ******* grammar and punctuation when writing in what's supposed to be the English language.

Du bist ein kartoffelkopf. Kommst du von ein andere zeit?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
or, some of us might not be fluent.

****. Half the Americans on this website can't even use simple ******* grammar and punctuation when writing in what's supposed to be the English language.

Du bist ein kartoffelkopf. Kommst du von ein andere zeit?
It is not that bad. 20% top I suppose. And all the time I think my English sucks... ;)

W każdym razie Google Translate to potęga jest i basta! ;)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts