HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What ammo does everyone use for target practice with their MP5? Any issues with WOLF or Tula as it seems to be the cheapest?

·
Registered
10 Posts
As an aside, I'd never use Tula in any of my firearms. I've only just bought my POF 5PK but it is running ammo from this little place I know of called Modern Munitions. If 115gr is your weight and you don't mind remans, the current price at 500rds is 21c/rd. I use remans for target practice. They're fine for me.

·
Banned
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats great. Can you reload it, I am not very knowledgeable about reloading but was curious if that was possible with the Modern Munitions 115gr?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Wolf 9mm runs fine. However since brass 9mm is still cheap its up to you. Just make sure its a good ammo in terms of velocity. I have noted PMC is a bit on the weaker side by its ejection. Wolf has a strong ejection along with a more significant muzzle report. I have run Federal AE 115/124/147, Federal champion, PPU 115 & 124, Aguila 115/124/, blazer brass 115, S&B 115, Geco 115/124, amongst others. Never any ammo related issues with anything except light primer strikes on the Aguila in a very dirty gun in below freezing temps

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
I have a MKE so same arm, I run MEN or S&B and I average 20-21 cents per round and they are factory and not remans.
I run with 124gr NATO or 115. HPs require the straight mags and flat nose i still need to go out and test. Rounds nose runs great and the HPs do create issues for me with curved mags.
I will never use cheap steel or aluminum in any of my arms. I do not see the point of saving a penny here or there at the expense of the pricey firearm.
Shop around for your ammo. Buy wise and when you see the good stuff like MEN w/sealed primers and its at a great price, jump on it. That's best IMO.
That is how I run the MP5 and all of my HKs. I see no reason to break trend.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Ive had good luck with everything out of my Z5P except for Fedarm 9mm. I had a bullet separate from the case while chambering and it spilled gunpowder all over my trigger pack. I'm grateful it caused a jam because it would have really ruined my day if I managed to fire it. That happened in my first 20 rounds of trying it so I wasnt keen to try any more of it out.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
As an aside, I'd never use Tula in any of my firearms. I've only just bought my POF 5PK but it is running ammo from this little place I know of called Modern Munitions. If 115gr is your weight and you don't mind remans, the current price at 500rds is 21c/rd. I use remans for target practice. They're fine for me.
$.21/rd is way too high for reloads. You can buy new for that price.

I've been shooting LeadHead remans through my various hosts and they chug along just fine. I've been through several thousand rounds so far with no problems:

Ammo Clearance | Leadhead 9mm 115 RN 1000 Count Bulk Box

Right now, they are selling them for $169 per 1000. Ammo Clearance is a bit slow on shipping and their communication isn't the greatest (I think it's a one or two man shop), but they are legit.

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
Federal Estate works fine. Fiochi is great, but not quite as great as when they were making it in Italy. S&B is great but the primer pockets are too sharp square on the edge, occasionally causing hang ups on the loading press. Winchester white box works adequately and is superb brass for reloading. Edges of the primer pockets are beveled nicely.

Wolf works nicely for me but not reloadable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
$.21/rd is way too high for reloads. You can buy new for that price.
Now might be a good time to discuss the difference between reloads and remans.

Ammo Clearance | Leadhead 9mm 115 RN 1000 Count Bulk Box

Right now, they are selling them for $169 per 1000. Ammo Clearance is a bit slow on shipping and their communication isn't the greatest (I think it's a one or two man shop), but they are legit.
Is this a special price? Cos that's a great price for 1000. And they run just fine, yeh?

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Now might be a good time to discuss the difference between reloads and remans.

Is this a special price? Cos that's a great price for 1000. And they run just fine, yeh?
That's their standard price with a sale discount (I notice it fluctuates with the market). I believe it's $185 normally, but I've never paid the normal price, it seems to be always on sale. It's actually a bit higher than it used to be. When they first opened up, I was getting it for $150 /k with free shipping. Yes, they run just fine in my HK clones (all of them are Special Weapons or Coharie with RCM full auto bolts) and in all my various 9mm pistols. No problems with split cases or bad primers. Basically, it lets me shoot brass for less than the price of steel.

Edit: Apparently that batch is now gone and they have this one instead, for $162 per 1000:

http://www.ammoclearance.com/product-p/lh9mm115poly(1000).htm

·
Registered
48 Posts
Reloading is not cost effective any more for 9mm especially when using subguns. The cheapest I've found is FedArm remanufactured that is the top of the list on Ammoseek.com
I have made several orders over the last year or two with different calibers and have had no issues. I don't know why others question the quality but I think they are old posts. Even if there were, the price can't be beat! The biggest issue I've had is from not cleaning my guns which get pretty messy especially when using a suppressor. On another note, I have not really had any issues with other manufactures mostly with .45 acp and 9mm. Any issue I've had has always been operator error and I will admit it! Ha Ha

1 - 15 of 15 Posts