HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a Saco HK91 and am trying to determine if the barrel is polygonal. I found the following diagram on the Sturm site

In the diagram it states their is a raised area around the firing pin hole. On my SR9 I dont see a raised area around the firing pin hole. What am i missing?

Also are all Saco 91's polygonal?

thanks

Doug

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
I could be wrong, but I believe those "marks" you are seeing are from the primer. The first bolt pictured above appears almost unfired; the second, not so much.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Dougk

I have always heard that only a couple hundred Hk91's with polygonal barrels were imported. Back in the day, early 70's, it was an option that increased the selling price of the weapon slightly over the standard Hk 91.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Chuck,
I always heard the number 300 guns with polygonal barrels. But I dont know how many Saco's were imported and if some, most or all had the polygonal barrel.

Doug

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
I am looking at a Saco HK91 and am trying to determine if the barrel is polygonal. I found the following diagram on the Sturm site

In the diagram it states their is a raised area around the firing pin hole. On my SR9 I dont see a raised area around the firing pin hole. What am i missing?

Also are all Saco 91's polygonal?

thanks

Doug
Unlike all the other poly 308 guns, the SR9 did not have the bolthead with the raised area.

Only a few Saco guns had the poly barrel.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Suds

Is there an easy way to identify the Saco's with polygonal barrel?

thanks,
Doug

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Thanks Suds

Is there an easy way to identify the Saco's with polygonal barrel?

thanks,
Doug
Not to be a smart a$$, but the only way I know is to look down the barrel, then check the bolthead (to make sure it wasn't swapped out at some time). Oh, and I think they were only available for one year, so I think it was only 1975 date code rifles. If I'm off by the year, please someone correct me.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Not to be a smart a$$, but the only way I know is to look down the barrel, then check the bolthead (to make sure it wasn't swapped out at some time. Oh, and I think they were only available for one year, so I think it was only 1975 date code rifles. If I'm off by the year, please someone correct me.
Thanks again. The year might be the quick way to rule out the non-polygonal barrels. The Saco's I have seen with the polygonal barrel are 1976 and have 1976 stamped on the receiver. I wonder if all the polygonal have 1976 stamped next to the date code?

like this one, not I dont see the raised area around the firing pin hole

HECKLER & KOCH HK 91 .308 SEMI AUTO ASSAULT RIFLE : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com

thanks

Doug

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Not to be a smart a$$, but the only way I know is to look down the barrel, then check the bolthead (to make sure it wasn't swapped out at some time). Oh, and I think they were only available for one year, so I think it was only 1975 date code rifles. If I'm off by the year, please someone correct me.
I have one and it is super obvious when you look down the barrel. It's a 1980s German HK

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found a Pic of a polygonal bolt face,

does it look clear or is there pitting?

thanks

Doug

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yeah, the difference between polygonal rifling and land & grove is like night and day, look down the barrel at the rifling. Not sure about the bolt head though. They look almost identical to me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts