HKPRO Forums banner

polymer vs metal ejection port cover ?

19200 Views 10 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  sgtlmj
Ive seen some threads on here hit on the topic but never any oppions on which one members prefer.

Polymer or Metal...what would you chose and why ?

Would you replace the metal 416 ejection port cover with the mr556 polymer one ?
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Banned
833 Posts
Theoretically speaking, the metal cover can take more abuse. Although the dust cover isn't supposed to be a high wear or impact item.

On a DI gun, metal all the way due to heat issues and vent gasses coming into direct contact with the dust cover if it's closed and the weapon is fired.

On the 416, this isn't an issue and if the plastic cover holds up durability wise, what's the issue?

There are a lot of end users out there that beat the 416 like a red headed step child and I have yet to hear of a dust cover breaking. But then again, I don't know if the 416D ships with a steel cover or a plastic cover. A quick glance over the 416's imported into America show lots of steel dust covers. Did they ship this way or were they replaced by the end users?

Like I said, so far no complaints to be found.

AGR notes that the 416Ns come with polymer. How have they held up in the cold and in the sandbox so far?

· Banned
833 Posts
In nearly 17 years of wrenching on and using AR type rifles, i've never seen nor heard of a dust cover getting bent or being mis-shapen. They are not made from cheap pot metal. Anything that would cause damage to a steel ejection port cover would cause far more damage to the rest of the receiver and if that's the case, then you'd have quite a bit more to worry about then a dust cover that lets a little debris in the action.

I've also never seen anybody get cut or hurt by the steel covers.

As I said, the ejection port cover is neither a high impact or high wear part and a suitably durable plastic part can replace it without much worry for the most part.

That being said, I switched out to a metal cover just because.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.