HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the range today with my USP Tac 45 and just stunk up the joint! I have shot that gun like a tack driver for the last 2 months since I bought it and today you would think it was my first day with it! Groups were sloppy, multiple fliers to the left, and a couple low as well. What the heck...? I am not one to blame ammo or equipment so obviously its me. I also took my SIG 226 out on the same trip and it was business as usual, rediculously tight groups and no issues. I was running Blaser FMJ non brass through my HK and that was the only thing I have changed since my last range day with the Tac. Anyone just have a bad day at the range every once and a while or should I start to look a little deeper into this? I consciously worked on trigger control once I starting sucking and even ran a couple of snap caps in the mag at staggered intervals to uncover a flinch but I came up with nothing. I would say maybe the sights got knocked off but, A. it stays in the safe when not at the range and I havent had it long enough to abuse it, and B. my rounds were all over, not just one tight group off to the left.

Help...it was embarrasing...

·
Registered
275 Posts
You know some days are like that,,,, I will have days that I can shoot crazy and others well just say that is well lets just say the target is put away. Never like I miss the target but when one day you can be a hole punch then another you are making a connect the dots!

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Have you made any modifications to the gun since the last time you used it? Any information would be useful in helping determine the problem. Have you used this ammo before? It seems very odd that a gun would work like a champ for two months and then go to crap seemingly over night.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
It is really tough to diagnose someones performance over the internet without knowing what they usually do and the type of shooter they are. However, I can't sleep so I'll take a swing.

There are so many factors that play into my practice sessions, the mental ones seem to play a bigger part in derailing a session. Not having your head in the game causes performance to suffer. Sounds like this is a relatively new pistol for you. Perhaps the last few times you were aggressively trying to maintain your fundamentals; perhaps today you felt more comfortable and let down your guard and slacked on your basics. The ball and dummy drill can be great, but if you know the snap cap is coming, you tend to be on your best behavior.

Blazer is plenty good range ammo, so I would not blame it. I would check your sights for tightness. A few weeks ago at a match, I was having a great day on the first three stages. Then came the classifer stage, and I missed three shots weak handed at 15-20 yard targets. I went to the safe area, and found my front sight was floating in the dovetail. So it can be the gun, even though it's not likely.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only thing I realized while I was pouting afterwards is that when I bought the gun used it came with a BA-6 laser from Laser Devices. I just took it off for the first time last week and this was the first time I shot it without it. (Not a big laser guy anyways.) Could the weight difference come into play here? IE, I shot it out of the box with it on for months, got used to the handling and then countered that by taking it off? That is the only thing other than the ammo change I can think of. Never used the Blaser in this gun before. Other than that I firmly believe in the idea that "if it aint broke, dont fix it" so I dont tinker with much. Especially when it comes to my HK's. :wink:

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My AR's, however are a different story. I cant STOP tinkering with them.....:wink:

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I am not familiar with that laser, so take this for what it is worth. If it was acting as a device that was countering recoil, then it could have affected your follow up shots. Also, if the recoil increased you could have anticipated more and dipped the gun.

All this said, I would not put too much stock in one bad session. Shake it off, and concentrate on the fundamentals next time. Perhaps print off a drill or two from pistol-training.com.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good points Apollo and thanks. I know that diagnosing over the internet is pretty much impossible but I figured what the heck! My head was not exactly in the game either today now that you mention it...got my first speeding ticket on the way to the range. 33 years old and I get a speeding ticket now...go figure. I will check out pistol-training.com and take another swing at it tomorrow. I will let my pride heal tonight...!

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
It sounds like you just didn't have your head in the game. Don't take it too hard. Everyone has bad days.

·
Premium Member
5,017 Posts
If you don't have bad days, then you aren't shooting enough. Do you dry fire? I can't tell you the number of bad days I've had. I wouldn't sweat it and move on. There's always tomorrow and for those bad days, I typically stop shooting and conserve the ammo.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
It sounds like you just didn't have your head in the game. Don't take it too hard. Everyone has bad days.
^^^ This

I had great groups when I first got my USP .45 and then a couple months later and on two separate trips, I was all over the cardboard. Last week I went to the range and just had the plans of taking it slow and taking my time. Almost like when I first bought it.

My groups got A LOT tighter. 10rd groups on 3x5" index cards at 25ft. And as I sped up the pace a little they remained tight.

Next time you go just really take your time, relax, breathe and focus 100% on accuracy. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Sometimes people at my range like to be cowboys and just do mag dumps all day. Before you know it these people have everyone shooting like its the north Hollywood bank robbery. I try my best not to care what the guy next to me is doing or how fast he can fire his gun. In the end, what is on the paper is what counts...

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
It happens. Reminds me of my sporting days (in my misspent youth). When I was on, playing was fun. When I was off, I tried not to read too much into it and use the opportunity to learn. Usually the problem was a technical detail that took patience to diagnose and remedy. Trick is to practice enough that when you are off, it is an anomaly. The other day, I had a bad range session. I could tell after 50 rounds that my heart wasn't in it, so I left and got a cheeseburger. I have no idea if that was the fix, but it made me feel better.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good points and advice guys. Thanks! Not a big fan of second place but it sounds like I should have packed it up and gone home for the day! I am heading back in tomorrow and redeem myself! This time I will go slow driving there as well as go slow while shooting...:wink:

·
Registered
865 Posts
Good points and advice guys. Thanks! Not a big fan of second place but it sounds like I should have packed it up and gone home for the day! I am heading back in tomorrow and redeem myself! This time I will go slow driving there as well as go slow while shooting...:wink:
Good point tomorrow is another day, and in the end the sun will still rise in the east and set in the west.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
If you don't have bad days, then you aren't shooting enough. Do you dry fire? I can't tell you the number of bad days I've had. I wouldn't sweat it and move on. There's always tomorrow and for those bad days, I typically stop shooting and conserve the ammo.
Everything said so far may play a part. But as gt say's we all have bad day's. Unless you are a machine. I took my P30s across my street to shoot before i got my P30LS.I shotabout as bad as i could. I called it a day and since shot it 2 more x over there and was pleased.

I was upset about something the day i could not hit anything. So if your not in that zone and not clear headed dry fire and save the ammo...

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Does anyone blame too much coffee like I do? Everyone has bad days. Some days I know I'm not into it and I pack up and leave and save the ammo.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts