HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In 2003 I bought a NIB AD date code HK USP .40 S&W. As time went on (lots of rounds) I began to hear a weird noise when I racked the slide. I asked around but no one had an answer. I finally tracked down the problem.

Owners Manual PDF Link:
http://www.hecklerkoch-usa.com/images/shared/USP Manual REV 3-07.pdf
On page 34 of the USP owners manual the parts diagram for the HK USP is listed. Part #18 "Roll Pin"-Buffer Spring Retainer. This roll pin had gradually worked its way out of the hole it was supposed to be in, through years of shooting (~3.5) As the recoil spring was compressed, the spring was catching on this exposed roll pin. I had no failures of any sort, just a weird noise coming from the weapon when the slide was retracted. One side of the roll pin had exposed metal from where the spring had worn it down. The roll pin was sticking out about an 1/16 out of the hole it was supposed to be in. I tried to contacted HK customer service through E-Mail, but they didn't get back with me. Sadly this was what I had often heard through internet rumor. I said the heck with it and took an allen wrench and hammer and punched the pin back into the correct position.

I want to make it clear that this was not a factory defect of some sort. The pin was obviously placed there correctly because I never heard the weird noise, nor noticed the exposed pin during my early year or two of shooting. I am very worried as to what would have happened had I not caught that pin. Would the recoil spring assembly flown apart during firing? I do not know. Furthermore I do not know if this is an issue that was specific to my pistol, or others have similar issues. I encourage you to take a look at your pistol.

Please reply with your thoughts.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. Great informative post.

I checked my USP 45 (about 1000rds) and everything appears normal.
I will definately keep an eye on that little pin.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the heads up. Great informative post.

I checked my USP 45 (about 1000rds) and everything appears normal.
I will definately keep an eye on that little pin.
Hmmm. Thanks for checking.
It is most likely an isolated incident. I didn't keep an accurate tally so I don't know when the pin began working its way out. I do shoot alot so I am interested to see what some of the higher count guys have to say.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I'm guessing that you dry fire when you don't have the slide on the during cleaning or something?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Regardless of how this happened be it human error or mechanical failure, this is why you ALWAYS check your eqiupment both before the range/work/duty/carry and especially while cleaning. This is the same reason pilots have a pre flight checklist.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'm guessing that you dry fire when you don't have the slide on the during cleaning or something?
From what I understand from his first post the roll pin in the recoil buffer assembly holding the spring in place slowly drifted out and was catching the recoil spring as the slide cycled, Not sure how dry firing with the slide off would cause that.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Of the 3 USP full-size I have, only one has had that pin work loose over the 10+ years. Exactly as you described is how the "problem" came to my attention ... Now I check it every 1000 rounds or so.

This is not a dry-fire problem.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From what I understand from his first post the roll pin in the recoil buffer assembly holding the spring in place slowly drifted out and was catching the recoil spring as the slide cycled, Not sure how dry firing with the slide off would cause that.
That is correct.

Pat, like I said, I didn't keep an accurate tally. It was about two years into the guns life before I noticed it. I shot weekly back then, now I am lucky to hit the range every month.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am attempting to contact HK USA customer service about this, but they haven't been responsive. I left a message on Travis's machine, and another guy named Wes (I think that was his name).
Plus numerous E-Mails.

I really hope I can correct this issue. The roll pin has begun drifting out in the opposite direction it was originally going.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Make an effort to talk with Travis; he's the man there who knows what he's about.

I spoke with Wes last week on an un-related matter. Nice enough fellow, but a few statements he made means he's either new there, or clueless.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Roll pin probably lost its tension, easy trip to the hardware store to pick up a new one and replace it.

Bill

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Simple. The main recoil spring can be unscrewed from the assembly after the tip gets over the retention platre (just use a screw driver). Clamp the assy just against the ring with the pin - that´ll keep the tension on the secondary spring while the pin is out and installing the new one will be a breeze.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Why don't you ask HK if you can swap recoil spring assemblies with them? As it is probably not a bad idea to replace the spring this pin has been rubbing on.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
I had this on a USP 40. Exact same issue. It is easily detectable because it sounds like crap when you pull the slide back. I had bought this gun new and shot it very little before I noticed the noise.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had this on a USP 40. Exact same issue. It is easily detectable because it sounds like crap when you pull the slide back. I had bought this gun new and shot it very little before I noticed the noise.
Slade, how did you fix the problem?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Good gouge. Checked mine and so far so good.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts